* Re: Cannot connect to X server
       [not found] <3ED5C135.976B0326@cadence.com>
@ 2003-05-30 17:12 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-05-30 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    When I invoke emacs on AIX 5.1 it gives me the following error message.

    emacs: Cannot connect to X server hollowman:0.0.
    Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
    Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
    connections from your machine.

Did you verify that the X server on hollowman allows connections from
the machine where Emacs is running?  The fix could be as simple as
running xhost.

If the problem is not that, then I don't know what to do.
I hope someone finds a solution and tells the Emacs developers.

* Re: Cannot connect to X server
@ 2003-12-10 11:39 Stenuit, Pascal
From: Stenuit, Pascal @ 2003-12-10 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

We've been experiencing the same problem as the one described here below.

Running truss on emacs showed the TCP connect to the X server being
interrupted (EINTR).
The reason for the interrupt is the keyboard timer running at that time.
The XtOpenDisplay retries the connect a few times and then gives up.

The problem happens reliably only on slow links.

We suspect that the behaviour of connect was changed between 4.2 and 5.0
(EINTR is not listed as valid error code in 4.2 - I dont have the man pages
for 5.x), but the X libraries were not adapted to take EINTR.

As a quick and dirty hack, we've blocked SIGALRM just around the call to
XOpenDisplay and XtOpenDisplay and the problem went away. We didnt log a
call to IBM, though.

In the hope this can be useful to somebody else...

rgds,
pascal

stenuit pascal, gtech, Terhulpsesteenweg 6d, B-1560 Hoeilaart
Bus: +32 2 678.13.73
Mobile: +32 4 78.88.17.08
Bus Fax: +32 2 678.13.45

----
From:  Richard Stallman
Subject:  Re: Cannot connect to X server
Date:  Fri, 30 May 2003 13:12:56 -0400

----

    When I invoke emacs on AIX 5.1 it gives me the following error message.

    emacs: Cannot connect to X server hollowman:0.0.
    Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
    Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
    connections from your machine.

Did you verify that the X server on hollowman allows connections from
the machine where Emacs is running?  The fix could be as simple as
running xhost.

If the problem is not that, then I don't know what to do.
I hope someone finds a solution and tells the Emacs developers.

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.  Also, email is susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering, amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.

* Re: Cannot connect to X server
@ 2003-12-11 14:47 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-12-11 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    As a quick and dirty hack, we've blocked SIGALRM just around the call to
    XOpenDisplay and XtOpenDisplay and the problem went away. We didnt log a
    call to IBM, though.

Why don't the calls to turn_on_atimers do this job?

    turn_on_atimers (0);
    dpy = XtOpenDisplay (Xt_app_con, SDATA (display_name),
			 resource_name, EMACS_CLASS,
			 emacs_options, XtNumber (emacs_options),
			 &argc, argv);
    turn_on_atimers (1);

Are those calls present in your version?

* RE: Cannot connect to X server
@ 2003-12-11 15:20 Stenuit, Pascal
From: Stenuit, Pascal @ 2003-12-11 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

There are no such calls in the version of emacs we use.

BTW, this is emacs 21.1.3, configured with

./configure  rs6000-ibm-aix5.1 --with-gcc=no
--prefix=/home/pstenuit/emacs-21/emacs-21.3/rel

The same happens with 21.1.1.

I didnt notice these turn_on_timer calls, hence the
sigblock(sigmask(SIGALRM)) or somesuch.

thanks,
pascal