* old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-03-22 23:24 Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2003-03-22 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone saved mail that announced the release of the latest version
of Emacs, namely 21.2?

I cannot find it, as if it was not announced, but that seems strange to
me.

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-03-23  7:44 ` Adrian Mrva
From: Adrian Mrva @ 2003-03-23  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

It was announced.  You can find the announcement at:

  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu-emacs/2002-03/msg00000.html

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-06 11:36 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2003-04-06 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs developers

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:24:47 +0100, Francesco Potorti` <pot@gnu.org> wrote:

> Has anyone saved mail that announced the release of the latest version
> of Emacs, namely 21.2?

The question about 21.3's release as already been asked in the
pretester's list, but we didn't get a definite answer, so there goes
again...

 - Has 21.3 been released?

 - If so, has the release been announced anywhere?

 - If so, why are still commits being made against EMACS_21_1_RC?

 - Is there a 21.4 bugfix-only release planned (so the new features
   release would be pushed to 21.5)?

Just trying to understand...

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-06 12:09   ` Adrian Mrva
From: Adrian Mrva @ 2003-04-06 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>  - If so, has the release been announced anywhere?

The announcement is at:

  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu-emacs/2003-03/msg00000.html

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-06 13:03     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2003-04-06 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 08:09:43 -0400, Adrian Mrva <adrianm@host.sk> wrote:

> The announcement is at:
>
>   http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu-emacs/2003-03/msg00000.html

OK, thanks.

Still, the question remains whether more releases are to be expected
from the EMACS_21_1_RC branch.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-06 16:09   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-04-06 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs developers

Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> writes:

>  - If so, why are still commits being made against EMACS_21_1_RC?

This has already been answered. We have not yet decided that there
won't be a 21.4 bugfix release, so the bugfix branch is active until
that is decided.

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-06 20:28     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2003-04-06 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs developers

On 06 Apr 2003 17:09:52 +0100, Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> wrote:

> This has already been answered. We have not yet decided that there
> won't be a 21.4 bugfix release, so the bugfix branch is active until
> that is decided.

OK.

Thanks,

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-06 23:07   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-06 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The question about 21.3's release as already been asked in the
    pretester's list,

Why in the world ask the pretester's list?
To get the answer, ask the people who know the answer.

     - Has 21.3 been released?

     - If so, has the release been announced anywhere?

It is released and I announced it on info-gnu-emacs.  However, there
is some doubt about whether the announcement really went out properly
on info-gnu-emacs.  I have asked sysadmin to investigate the problem.

     - Is there a 21.4 bugfix-only release planned (so the new features
       release would be pushed to 21.5)?

Probably so.

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-07 16:27     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2003-04-07 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 19:07:24 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Why in the world ask the pretester's list?

The question was whether someone has seen an announcement. It doesn't
seem too far-fetched to suppose that the people who tests a prerelease
should know (or have been informed) about its release status; I could
have missed such an announcement; that's why I asked there.

In other words, I would've expected the release announcements
to be sent to the pretester's list too.

> However, there
> is some doubt about whether the announcement really went out properly
> on info-gnu-emacs.

"Some doubt?" ;-)

>      - Is there a 21.4 bugfix-only release planned (so the new features
>        release would be pushed to 21.5)?
>
> Probably so.

<sigh>

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-08  2:30       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-08  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > However, there
    > is some doubt about whether the announcement really went out properly
    > on info-gnu-emacs.

    "Some doubt?" ;-)

I now know it did not go out properly.  I will get that fixed.

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-09 11:48     ` Per Starback
From: Per Starback @ 2003-04-09 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     The question about 21.3's release as already been asked in the
>     pretester's list,
>
> Why in the world ask the pretester's list?
> To get the answer, ask the people who know the answer.

It is pointless to test a pretest version after the release of the
real version, so pretester *should* always be informed of new
releases.

I thought that was obvious and it was only by mistake that pretesters
haven't been informed of the last couple (or more?) of releases, but
if you think it's natural that pretesters don't know if there have
been a release I guess this must be pointed out to avoid the same
situation happening again in the future.

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-10  6:23       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-10  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

That is a good point.  I will arrange for info-gnu-emacs announcements
to go to the pretesters list.

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-10 17:42         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-04-10 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman wrote:

> That is a good point.  I will arrange for info-gnu-emacs announcements
> to go to the pretesters list.

And the gnu.emacs.announce and/or gnu.announce newsgroups, please.

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-13  9:11 Lars Hansen
From: Lars Hansen @ 2003-04-13  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

The page http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ still says that 21.2 is the
latest release and http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/ has no 21.3.
Shouldn't these things be updated?

* Re: old emacs announcemente
@ 2003-04-14  2:36 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-14  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The page http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ still says that 21.2 is the
    latest release

I will update that when I can easily do it, but if someone else
has access and can do it sooner, I would appreciate that.

     and http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/ has no 21.3.

If someone who cares about Windows support wants to make new
binaries, that would be fine.