* Subject headers constructed by rmail-forward
@ 2003-04-07 18:33 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-07 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

When rmail-forward constructs a subject line for a forwarded message,
it produces something like:

Subject: [original_from_address: original subject]

I think it ought not to include the email address of the original
sender in the subject header. The reason is that this possibility
seems to be overlooked by some anti-spam-harvester devices.

For example, that of mail.gnu.org, http://mail.gnu.org/spam.html.
Email addresses appearing in message *bodies* are protected, as are
those appearing in From: headers, but any in the Subject: header are
left intact. For example,
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-04/msg00024.html.

Maybe such schemes should be improved, but I would still prefer not to
have email addresses added to Subject: lines. My personal preference
would be for a new subject header of the form:

Subject: Fwd: original subject

WDYT?

* Re: Subject headers constructed by rmail-forward
@ 2003-04-08  6:45 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    When rmail-forward constructs a subject line for a forwarded message,
    it produces something like:

That is a very useful and important feature.
We should not change it.

    I think it ought not to include the email address of the original
    sender in the subject header. The reason is that this possibility
    seems to be overlooked by some anti-spam-harvester devices.

    For example, that of mail.gnu.org, http://mail.gnu.org/spam.html.
    Email addresses appearing in message *bodies* are protected, as are
    those appearing in From: headers, but any in the Subject: header are
    left intact. For example,
    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-04/msg00024.html.

Clearly that program ought to treat the subject like the body.
I will ask our sysadmin to deal with this.