* obsolete configurations
@ 2003-01-14 17:05 Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2003-01-14 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

The recent latest gdb release obsoleted the following configurations.
Maybe they could also be removed from Emacs?

================
* OBSOLETE configurations and files

Configurations that have been declared obsolete in this release have
been commented out.  Unless there is activity to revive these
configurations, the next release of GDB will have their sources
permanently REMOVED.

Mitsubishi D30V					d30v-*-*
OS/9000						i[34]86-*-os9k
IBM AIX PS/2					i[3456]86-*-aix
Fujitsu FR30					fr30-*-elf*
Motorola Delta 88000 running Sys V		m88k-motorola-sysv  or  delta88
Argonaut Risc Chip (ARC)			arc-*-*
i386 running Mach 3.0				i[3456]86-*-mach3*
i386 running Mach				i[3456]86-*-mach*
i386 running OSF/1				i[3456]86-*osf1mk*
HP/Apollo 68k Family				m68*-apollo*-sysv*,
						m68*-apollo*-bsd*,
						m68*-hp-bsd*, m68*-hp-hpux*
I960 with MON960				i960-*-coff

* Re: obsolete configurations
@ 2003-01-14 18:33 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-01-14 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Francesco Potorti` <pot@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:05:08 +0100
>
> The recent latest gdb release obsoleted the following configurations.
> Maybe they could also be removed from Emacs?

I'm not against considering old platforms for deprecation (and have
nothing intelligent to say about the specific platforms you listed),
but I think we should be aware of several differences between GDB and
Emacs:

  - Having a platform without a debugger is not as bad as having a
    platform without an editor.

  - A configuration is declared obsoleted for GDB when it is no longer
    actively maintained for some significant period of time, like a
    year or so.  Since platform-depend parts of GDB are significantly
    larger than in Emacs, I don't think the GDB criteria for
    deprecation would be appropriate for Emacs.

* Re: obsolete configurations
@ 2003-01-14 21:59 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2003-01-14 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs developers

Francesco Potorti` <pot@gnu.org> writes:

|> The recent latest gdb release obsoleted the following configurations.
|> Maybe they could also be removed from Emacs?

In any way, you should never remove anything from config.{sub,guess}.  Not
only should all changes to these files be send to config-patches@gnu.org,
these files are also meant to be shared among all packages using autoconf.
Please revert the change.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: obsolete configurations
@ 2003-01-14 23:18   ` Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2003-01-14 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs developers

>In any way, you should never remove anything from config.{sub,guess}.

Sorry.  I'll do that tomorrow.  Going to bed now.

* Re: obsolete configurations
@ 2003-01-15 10:17   ` Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2003-01-15 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs developers

>|> The recent latest gdb release obsoleted the following configurations.

Please note that I did not obsolete any of them.  What I obsoleted is
the older Motorola Delta 3000 (m68k) configuration, that I wrote myself
long ago and on which I last compiled and run Emacs 19, which was a
really big application for that platform.

>In any way, you should never remove anything from config.{sub,guess}.[...]
>Please revert the change.

Done.

* Re: obsolete configurations
@ 2003-01-15 11:05 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-15 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The recent latest gdb release obsoleted the following configurations.
    Maybe they could also be removed from Emacs?

Let's move their files into directories src/obsolete/{s,m}.  That way
they will still be around if anyone finds them useful, but we won't
spend any time maintaining them.