* Emacs 21.2.93 - NFS issue
@ 2002-12-11 10:38 Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2002-12-11 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Hi,
 I was looking in to the "etc/PROBLEMS" file and I am refering to the
 following problem.
* Building Emacs over NFS fails with ``Text file busy''.

I was able to build Emacs 21.2.93 on W2K using MSVC++ 6.0 (did not use
LEIM) from NFS folder which is on a Unix m/c with following
configuration: "SunOS Swing 5.7 Generic_106541-22 sun4u sparc
SUNW,Ultra-60"
I installed the built GNU Emacs on an NTFS folder and it works fine.

Maybe we could modify the "etc/PROBLEMS" file to reflect this result.

with best regards,
dhruva
--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Home: http://www.geocities.com/gnued/

* Re: Emacs 21.2.93 - NFS issue
@ 2002-12-11 11:28 jasonr
From: jasonr @ 2002-12-11 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>  I was looking in to the "etc/PROBLEMS" file and I am refering to the
>  following problem.
> * Building Emacs over NFS fails with ``Text file busy''.
[snip]
> Maybe we could modify the "etc/PROBLEMS" file to reflect this result.

I don't see anything that needs changing. The PROBLEMS entry already
starts with "This was reported to happen when building Emacs on a
GNU/Linux system (RedHat Linux 6.2) using a build directory
automounted from Solaris (SunOS 5.6) file server, but it might not
be limited to that configuration alone."

* Re: Emacs 21.2.93 - NFS issue
@ 2002-12-11 11:50 ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2002-12-11 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:28:56 +0000 (GMT), jasonr@btinternet.com said:
> >  I was looking in to the "etc/PROBLEMS" file and I am refering to the
> >  following problem.
> > * Building Emacs over NFS fails with ``Text file busy''.
> [snip]
> > Maybe we could modify the "etc/PROBLEMS" file to reflect this result.
>
> I don't see anything that needs changing. The PROBLEMS entry already
> starts with "This was reported to happen when building Emacs on a
> GNU/Linux system (RedHat Linux 6.2) using a build directory
> automounted from Solaris (SunOS 5.6) file server, but it might not
> be limited to that configuration alone."

Sorry about the wrong info: I was looking at this from "etc/PROBLEM":

* Emacs binary is not in executable format, and cannot be run.

This was reported to happen when Emacs is built in a directory mounted
via NFS.  Usually, the file `emacs' produced in these cases is full of
binary null characters, and the `file' utility says:

    emacs: ASCII text, with no line terminators

We don't know what exactly causes this failure.  A work-around is to
build Emacs in a directory on a local disk.

with regards,
dhruva
--

@ 2002-12-12 17:08   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-12-12 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretesters

Would you please propose a diff to etc/PROBLEMS?

* Re: Emacs 21.2.93 - NFS issue
@ 2002-12-13  4:23     ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2002-12-13  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Hello,

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:08:26 -0500, "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>
said:
> Would you please propose a diff to etc/PROBLEMS?

I am not sure as to how to generate a diff for patch to use. I have used
the following command and option to get the diff.

command used:diff.exe -c PROBLEMS PROBLEMS.new

*** PROBLEMS    Wed Dec  4 18:08:23 2002
--- PROBLEMS.new        Fri Dec 13 09:36:14 2002
***************
*** 541,548 ****

      emacs: ASCII text, with no line terminators

! We don't know what exactly causes this failure.  A work-around is to
! build Emacs in a directory on a local disk.

  * Accented ISO-8859-1 characters are displayed as | or _.

--- 541,550 ----

      emacs: ASCII text, with no line terminators

! However, reports of successfull builds on W2K built in a directory
mounted
! via NFS have been reported. Since there has not been extensive testing,
! we don't know what exactly causes this failure or a fix. A safe

@ 2002-12-13 15:45       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-12-13 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:08:26 -0500, "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>
> said:
> > Would you please propose a diff to etc/PROBLEMS?
>
> I am not sure as to how to generate a diff for patch to use. I have used
> the following command and option to get the diff.
>
> command used:diff.exe -c PROBLEMS PROBLEMS.new
>
> *** PROBLEMS    Wed Dec  4 18:08:23 2002
> --- PROBLEMS.new        Fri Dec 13 09:36:14 2002
> ***************
> *** 541,548 ****
>
>       emacs: ASCII text, with no line terminators
>
> ! We don't know what exactly causes this failure.  A work-around is to
> ! build Emacs in a directory on a local disk.
>
>   * Accented ISO-8859-1 characters are displayed as | or _.
>
> --- 541,550 ----
>
>       emacs: ASCII text, with no line terminators
>
> ! However, reports of successfull builds on W2K built in a directory mounted
> ! via NFS have been reported. Since there has not been extensive testing,
> ! we don't know what exactly causes this failure or a fix. A safe work-around
> ! is to build Emacs in a directory on a local disk.

I think the problem is rather with the fact that

   This was reported to happen when Emacs is built in a directory mounted
   via NFS.  Usually, the file `emacs' produced in these cases is full of

doesn't make it clear that NFS is a necessary but not a sufficient
cause.  I.e. it only showed up for some NFS clients (and maybe it
even depended on the NFS server as well).  IIRC it also only happened
when unexec was using mmap and I remember discussions to change it back
to using something else, so maybe the problem has completely disappeared ?

* Re: Emacs 21.2.93 - NFS issue
@ 2002-12-14 18:32         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-12-14 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Would you like to update the entry as suitable?