* Ideas for debugging excessive garbage collection bugs?
@ 2002-11-08 18:18 William K. Foster
From: William K. Foster @ 2002-11-08 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am wondering if anybody has any strategies they are willing to share
to track down why excessive garbage collection is happening in my Emacs
v20.7.1 with some personal additions when I do find-file?

The excessive garbage collection appears to be a performance bottleneck.

Thanks.

-William

* Re: Ideas for debugging excessive garbage collection bugs?
@ 2002-11-08 19:19 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-11-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I am wondering if anybody has any strategies they are willing to share
> to track down why excessive garbage collection is happening in my Emacs
> v20.7.1 with some personal additions when I do find-file?

I don't have any good advice, but I will point out that the problem is not
excessive GC, but excessive allocation.

* Re: Ideas for debugging excessive garbage collection bugs?
@ 2002-11-08 19:36   ` William K. Foster
From: William K. Foster @ 2002-11-08 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan,

Sorry for not being clearer.

  How do I debug the source of allocations in Emacs?

  Is there a good break point to set that would be
  on the stack for any allocation, I could then look
  at several stack traces to see statistically where
  the culprit is probably coming form.

Thanks.

-William

@ 2002-11-09 21:26     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-09 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "William K. Foster" <William.Foster@synopsys.com>
> Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 11:36:30 -0800
>
>   How do I debug the source of allocations in Emacs?

You could invoke (print (garbage-collect)) frequently and find the
part of its report that grows the most.  That would tell you what
objects are being consed very frequently.  Then you could put a
breakpoint at the C function which allocates that type of Lisp
objects, and see what the backtrace shows when the breakpoint is hit.

* Re: Ideas for debugging excessive garbage collection bugs?
@ 2002-11-10 18:07 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-11-10 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Something in your code must be consing a lot of data structure.
So the issue is to find out what.

First you could try just increasing gc-cons-threshold and see if that
gives acceptable results.