* [d.love@dl.ac.uk: Re: privateColormap X resource]
@ 2002-10-28 19:20 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-28 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone please try testing whether the privateColormap X resource
works in Emacs?  Here is a suggestion for how to test that;
I would not know how to fill in the details and really do it,
but maybe some of you know.

To: rms@gnu.org
Subject: Re: privateColormap X resource
From: Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk>
Date: 27 Oct 2002 12:42:21 +0000
You wrote:

>     I would run it in an 8-bit session, eat up the colourmap with Netrape
>     or something, and then see if Emacs gets it own (with resulting
>     psychedelics when you switch window focus).  There may be a better
>     way.
>
> Can you write a precise recipe for doing this?

I don't think I can do much better.  I think it would be clear to
people using 8-bit displays.

* Re: [d.love@dl.ac.uk: Re: privateColormap X resource]
@ 2002-10-28 21:28 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2002-10-28 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Can someone please try testing whether the privateColormap X resource
> works in Emacs?  Here is a suggestion for how to test that;
> I would not know how to fill in the details and really do it,
> but maybe some of you know.

Yes it works for 21.1, RC and CVS.  Here is a recipe (for XFree86 at least):

Stop X.
create a file .xserverrc in your home directory with the line
  exec Xwrapper :0 -depth 8 ${1:+"$@"}

Start X.
Start some application that uses some colors, nowdays any desktop
system like Gnome qualifies :-).  Viewing a colorful image is also OK.
It may even be enough that the WM decorations are in color.

Start Emacs like this:
% emacs -xrm '*privateColormap: true'

If the colors flickers as Emacs gets and looses focus, it works.

	Jan D.

@ 2002-10-29  3:01 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-29  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's no more need for others to test this.

To: rms@gnu.org
From: Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk>
Date: 28 Oct 2002 15:05:35 +0000
I verified that the resource works (on a quick test) and modified the
manual.

* Re: [d.love@dl.ac.uk: Re: privateColormap X resource]
@ 2002-10-29 11:29   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-29 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for testing it.

* Re: [d.love@dl.ac.uk: Re: privateColormap X resource]
@ 2002-10-29 14:26 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-10-29 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Can someone please try testing whether the privateColormap X resource
> works in Emacs?  Here is a suggestion for how to test that;
> I would not know how to fill in the details and really do it,
> but maybe some of you know.

This suggestion won't work because Emacs (rightly so from my point of
view) does not automatically switch to a private colormap when it
runs out of colors.  Instead it uses the closest color available,
such that the result is not quite right but is not psychedelic either.

But a long time ago Gerd said (while tracking down a
color-reference-count-overflow bug in XFree triggered by Emacs):

> In the course of cleaning up the color code a bit, I'm now setting the
> XtNcolormap resource of the shell widget.  I think the menu bar should
> inherit that colormap.  An easy way to check this if it does is to run
> Emacs with a private colormap.  Just add the resource
>
>   Emacs.privateColormap: true

There's also Emacs.visualClass.

@ 2002-10-30 17:17   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-30 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    But a long time ago Gerd said (while tracking down a
    color-reference-count-overflow bug in XFree triggered by Emacs):

    > In the course of cleaning up the color code a bit, I'm now setting the
    > XtNcolormap resource of the shell widget.  I think the menu bar should
    > inherit that colormap.  An easy way to check this if it does is to run
    > Emacs with a private colormap.  Just add the resource
    >
    >   Emacs.privateColormap: true

Could you spell out for me how this relates to the issue?  I don't
know these aspects of X well enough to figure out the connection.
I don't even know enough to understand this:

    > Can someone please try testing whether the privateColormap X resource
    > works in Emacs?  Here is a suggestion for how to test that;
    > I would not know how to fill in the details and really do it,
    > but maybe some of you know.

    This suggestion won't work because Emacs (rightly so from my point of
    view) does not automatically switch to a private colormap when it
    runs out of colors.

What does it mean to say this "won't work"?  It was only meant to test
whether a certain X resource has a real effect.  It "works" if it
provides a valid answer to the question.  Are you saying that the test
won't proviude valid information about that question?