* customize-saved in the customize menu?
@ 2002-04-11 16:14 Marshall, Simon
From: Marshall, Simon @ 2002-04-11 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think it would be useful for this to be in the "Options/Customize
Emacs" menu.  (I was going to write "I think it would be useful if there
was such a command" until I realised there was one.)

I think "Recently Changed Options..." entry should be renamed "Recently
Changed Options in Emacs..." to avoid potential confusion---users
assuming that it is for their own recently changed options---or perhaps
instead just change the tooltip from "... recent versions" to "...
recent Emacs versions".

So, the menu could look like this:

Top-level Customization Group
Browse Customization Groups
Changed Customization Options		(new entry, command
customize-saved)
---
Recently Changed Options in Emacs...	(maybe renamed from Recently
Changed Options...)
Specific Option...
[etc.]

Ta, Simon.

* Re: customize-saved in the customize menu?
@ 2002-04-12 13:57 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-04-12 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'Emacs Developers'

"Marshall, Simon" <simon.marshall@misys.com> writes:

> I think it would be useful for this to be in the "Options/Customize
> Emacs" menu.  (I was going to write "I think it would be useful if there
> was such a command" until I realised there was one.)
>
> I think "Recently Changed Options..." entry should be renamed "Recently
> Changed Options in Emacs..." to avoid potential confusion---users
> assuming that it is for their own recently changed options---or perhaps
> instead just change the tooltip from "... recent versions" to "...
> recent Emacs versions".

Maybe "New Customization Options..."  would better indicate what's
intended?

 And the tool-tip could read
 "Customize options added or changed in recent Emacs versions"

* RE: customize-saved in the customize menu?
@ 2002-04-16  9:55 Marshall, Simon
From: Marshall, Simon @ 2002-04-16  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'Emacs Developers'

> > I think it would be useful for this to be in the "Options/Customize
> > Emacs" menu.  (I was going to write "I think it would be
> useful if there
> > was such a command" until I realised there was one.)
> >
> > I think "Recently Changed Options..." entry should be
> renamed "Recently
> > Changed Options in Emacs..." to avoid potential confusion---users
> > assuming that it is for their own recently changed
> options---or perhaps
> > instead just change the tooltip from "... recent versions" to "...
> > recent Emacs versions".
>
> Maybe "New Customization Options..."  would better indicate what's
> intended?
>
>  And the tool-tip could read
>  "Customize options added or changed in recent Emacs versions"

Yes, your wording for "Recently Changed Options..." would probably be
better.

So, together with my suggestion to add customized-saved, the menu might
be:

Top-level Customization Group
Browse Customization Groups
Changed Customization Options		(new entry, command
customize-saved)
---
New Customization Options...	(renamed from Recently Changed
Options...)
Specific Option...
[etc.]

The tool-tip for customized-saved could read "Customize options
previously customized by you" or somesuch.

* RE: customize-saved in the customize menu?
@ 2002-04-29 13:42 Simon Marshall
From: Simon Marshall @ 2002-04-29 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

OK, there wasn't any more feedback, so here's a possible patch...  I
played around a little with the layout.  I think the best layout is to
have a separate menu section for the Saved... and New... menu entries,
since both create a customise buffer for a selection of disparate
options.

cd ~/ftp/emacs-21.1.90/lisp/
diff -c /rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-21.1.90/lisp/menu-bar.el.\~1\~ /rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-21.1.90/lisp/menu-bar.el
*** /rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-21.1.90/lisp/menu-bar.el.~1~	Thu Nov 15 20:29:44 2001
--- /rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-21.1.90/lisp/menu-bar.el	Mon Apr 29 14:25:56 2002
***************
*** 498,504 ****
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-apropos]
    '(menu-item "Settings Matching Regexp..." customize-apropos
  	      :help "Browse customizable settings whose names match regexp"))
! (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [separator-2]
    '("--"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-group]
    '(menu-item "Specific Group..." customize-group
--- 498,504 ----
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-apropos]
    '(menu-item "Settings Matching Regexp..." customize-apropos
  	      :help "Browse customizable settings whose names match regexp"))
! (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [separator-1]
    '("--"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-group]
    '(menu-item "Specific Group..." customize-group
***************
*** 508,517 ****
  	      :help "Customize attributes of specific face"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-option]
    '(menu-item "Specific Option..." customize-option
! 	      :help "Change value of specific option"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-changed-options]
!   '(menu-item "Recently Changed Options..." customize-changed-options
! 	      :help "Customize options changed in recent versions"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [separator-3]
    '("--"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-browse]
--- 508,522 ----
  	      :help "Customize attributes of specific face"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-option]
    '(menu-item "Specific Option..." customize-option
! 	      :help "Customize value of specific option"))
! (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [separator-2]
!   '("--"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-changed-options]
!   '(menu-item "New Options..." customize-changed-options
! 	      :help "Options added or changed in recent Emacs versions"))
! (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-saved]
!   '(menu-item "Saved Options" customize-saved
! 	      :help "Customize previously saved options"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [separator-3]
    '("--"))
  (define-key menu-bar-custom-menu [customize-browse]

Diff finished at Mon Apr 29 14:35:23

* Re: customize-saved in the customize menu?
@ 2002-04-30  5:18 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-30  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, emacs-devel

It looks good--can you install it?