* problems with 'view' mode
@ 2012-03-19 12:11 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2012-03-19 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I often use 'view' mode to look at files in a read-only mode.  Typically, this
is using dired, and then hitting 'v'. It seems rather broken.  Some keys in
view-mode are bound to special functions, but other keys just go ahead and self-
insert (so it's not really read-only).

Maybe what I really want is a key binding for dired that opens files read-only.

* RE: problems with 'view' mode
@ 2012-03-19 13:07 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-03-19 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Neal Becker', emacs-devel

> Maybe what I really want is a key binding for dired that
> opens files read-only.

The regular `find-file-read-only*' bindings provide the current Dired line's
file as the first default value.

C-x C-r M-n
C-x 4 r M-n
C-x 5 r M-n