* Re: master f6da1eed74: Properly report errors about unbound ERT test symbols.
       [not found] ` <20211230160627.DD9ABC002EE@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-12-30 16:34   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-12-30 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Philipp Stephani

Philipp Stephani <p.stephani2@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Philipp,

> +*** Unbound test symbols now signal an 'ert-test-unbound' error.
> +This affects the 'ert-select-tests' function and its callers.

Shouldn't this be documented in doc/lispref/errors.texi and/or
doc/misc/ert.texi?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: master f6da1eed74: Properly report errors about unbound ERT test symbols.
@ 2021-12-30 16:59     ` Philipp
From: Philipp @ 2021-12-30 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Philipp Stephani, emacs-devel

> Am 30.12.2021 um 17:34 schrieb Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>:
>
> Philipp Stephani <p.stephani2@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Philipp,
>
>> +*** Unbound test symbols now signal an 'ert-test-unbound' error.
>> +This affects the 'ert-select-tests' function and its callers.
>
> Shouldn't this be documented in doc/lispref/errors.texi

That only documents the most common/important error symbol, and the new one is neither common nor important enough.

> and/or
> doc/misc/ert.texi?

That doesn't even document ert-select-tests.
I've mentioned it now in the docstring of ert-select-tests.

* Re: master f6da1eed74: Properly report errors about unbound ERT test symbols.
@ 2021-12-31 13:45       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-12-31 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp; +Cc: Philipp Stephani, emacs-devel

Philipp <p.stephani2@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Philipp,

>>> +*** Unbound test symbols now signal an 'ert-test-unbound' error.
>>> +This affects the 'ert-select-tests' function and its callers.
>>
>> Shouldn't this be documented in doc/lispref/errors.texi
>
> That only documents the most common/important error symbol, and the new one is neither common nor important enough.

Good point.

>> and/or
>> doc/misc/ert.texi?
>
> That doesn't even document ert-select-tests.
> I've mentioned it now in the docstring of ert-select-tests.

Thanks!

In general, the ERT manual is very short, and it also doesn't document
the other error symbols as well (ert-test-failed and
ert-test-skipped). Sometimes, it would helped me to write some code
around ert functions, but likely there are not so many people doing it
like me.

So let it be ...

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: master f6da1eed74: Properly report errors about unbound ERT test symbols.
@ 2022-01-01 15:59         ` Philipp
From: Philipp @ 2022-01-01 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Philipp Stephani, emacs-devel

> Am 31.12.2021 um 14:45 schrieb Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>:
>
> In general, the ERT manual is very short, and it also doesn't document
> the other error symbols as well (ert-test-failed and
> ert-test-skipped). Sometimes, it would helped me to write some code
> around ert functions, but likely there are not so many people doing it
> like me.

The manual states:

   Both ‘ert-run-tests-interactively’ and ‘ert-run-tests-batch’ are
implemented on top of the lower-level test handling code in the sections
of ‘ert.el’ labeled “Facilities for running a single test”, “Test
selectors”, and “Facilities for running a whole set of tests”.

   If you want to write code that works with ERT tests, you should take
a look at this lower-level code.  Symbols that start with ‘ert--’ are
internal to ERT, whereas those that start with ‘ert-’ are meant to be
usable by other code.  But there is no mature API yet.

I don't know what's missing before the API can be considered "mature", but adding some documentation about the API to the manual instead of referring to the source code would be a good first step.