* Odd resizing behavior on git HEAD
@ 2022-04-11 19:27 chad
From: chad @ 2022-04-11 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EMACS development team

For the past week or so, I've noticed a change of behavior for emacs
frames: when I create a new frame, it appears at the default size and
location, as normal. If I then move and resize it using the window systems
"snap to side" functionality (that is, I drag the window from the titlebar
to the edge of the display, the window manager shows me a preview of the
window full-height and half-screen width, placed on that edge), and then
release it. Until sometime a week or two ago, the frame was correctly moved
and resized; today (and for a fews days, at least), its upper-right corner
is placed in the same position as before, but the size is unchanged. If I
repeat the operation a second time, the window is placed in the same
position, but this time it *is* resized.

It's possible that this change is due to an os/window system change, but
that would require some very coincidental timing.

Has anyone else noticed a change similar to this? My current window system
is unusual (x display via xwayland under chromeos), but the previous
behavior has been stable for at least a couple years.

Thanks,
~Chad

* Re: Odd resizing behavior on git HEAD
@ 2022-04-12  0:38 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-04-12  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: EMACS development team

chad <yandros@mit.edu> writes:

> For the past week or so, I've noticed a change of behavior for emacs
> frames: when I create a new frame, it appears at the default size and
> location, as normal. If I then move and resize it using the window
> systems "snap to side" functionality (that is, I drag the window from
> the titlebar to the edge of the display, the window manager shows me a
> preview of the window full-height and half-screen width, placed on
> that edge), and then release it. Until sometime a week or two ago, the
> frame was correctly moved and resized; today (and for a fews days, at
> least), its upper-right corner is placed in the same position as
> before, but the size is unchanged. If I repeat the operation a second
> time, the window is placed in the same position, but this time it *is*
> resized.

What X toolkit are you using?

* Re: Odd resizing behavior on git HEAD
@ 2022-04-12  7:44 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2022-04-12  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad, EMACS development team

 > For the past week or so, I've noticed a change of behavior for emacs
 > frames: when I create a new frame, it appears at the default size and
 > location, as normal. If I then move and resize it using the window systems
 > "snap to side" functionality (that is, I drag the window from the titlebar
 > to the edge of the display, the window manager shows me a preview of the
 > window full-height and half-screen width, placed on that edge), and then
 > release it. Until sometime a week or two ago, the frame was correctly moved
 > and resized; today (and for a fews days, at least), its upper-right corner
 > is placed in the same position as before, but the size is unchanged. If I
 > repeat the operation a second time, the window is placed in the same
 > position, but this time it *is* resized.
 >
 > It's possible that this change is due to an os/window system change, but
 > that would require some very coincidental timing.
 >
 > Has anyone else noticed a change similar to this? My current window system
 > is unusual (x display via xwayland under chromeos), but the previous
 > behavior has been stable for at least a couple years.

If this is as easy to reproduce as you sketched above, then my first
suggestion is to bisect master until you find a corresponding change.

martin

* Re: Odd resizing behavior on git HEAD
@ 2022-04-12 20:18   ` chad
From: chad @ 2022-04-12 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)