* M-x list-tags gets [No match]
@ 2011-09-27 14:27 Liang Wang
From: Liang Wang @ 2011-09-27 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

When I run M-x list-tags TAB, I get [No match].

Here is the way I create TAGS file for Emacs source tree.

$ cd src
$ etags -o TAGS.sub *.[hc]
$ cd ../lisp
$ etags -o TAGS.sub *.el
$ cd ..
$ etags -i src/TAGS.sub -i lisp/TAGS.sub

If I create TAGS file in the following way, M-x list-tags TAB works fine.

$ etags src/*.[hc] lisp/*.el

Is the first way I create TAGS file wrong?

Thanks,
Liang.

* Re: M-x list-tags gets [No match]
@ 2011-09-29 13:12 ` Liang Wang
From: Liang Wang @ 2011-09-29 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Liang Wang <netcasper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I run M-x list-tags TAB, I get [No match].
>
> Here is the way I create TAGS file for Emacs source tree.
>
> $ cd src
> $ etags -o TAGS.sub *.[hc]
> $ cd ../lisp
> $ etags -o TAGS.sub *.el
> $ cd ..
> $ etags -i src/TAGS.sub -i lisp/TAGS.sub

I understand now.  list-tags only gets completion on file names
directed listed in TAGS file.
Included TAGS files are ignored.  In my master TAGS file, there are
only includes.  So I get
nothing on completion.

> If I create TAGS file in the following way, M-x list-tags TAB works fine.
>
> $ etags src/*.[hc] lisp/*.el
>
> Is the first way I create TAGS file wrong?

So etags --include has different behavior than --include is not used,
at least for list-tags command.
For me, the latter gives better experiences.