* Splitting off specific debugger components in realgud ELPA
@ 2019-05-17 21:47 Rocky Bernstein
From: Rocky Bernstein @ 2019-05-17 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Currently *realgud <https://github.com/realgud/realgud> *is part of Emacs
Elpa <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/packages/realgud>.
In the next major release, I will be removing from the core distribution
the debuggers *ipdb <https://pypi.org/project/ipdb/>*, *jdb
<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/jdb.html>, * and
nodejs (the older protocol used that became obsolete by node version 8).
Right now *ipdb* is available via MELPA.

If folks would like me to add removed debuggers as separate ELPA packages,
I'd be happy to do so. Likewise for jdb and nodejs. Either way they'll be
available via MELPA.

There are a number of reasons for removing these debuggers from the core
distribution. The main one for me is to make it easier for me to support.
And vice versa, if there are people who are interested in those specific
debuggers they can do so in a more limited and focused way. When there are
updates to realgud, there is less code that needs to get pushed in the
update. And users who don't or care about *ipdb* and *jdb *can simply not
have these installed.

Initially it made sense to have those included because I hadn't worked out
how the plugin mechanism would work. However at this point after having
done a dozen or so of these as separate packages, I think the path here is
now well trodden.