* isearch feature proposal
@ 2014-01-09  8:35 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2014-01-09  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development List

Hi,

I would like isearch to wrap without failing. This would save one
keystroke (C-s). Looking at the code it would take a bit of hacking. If
I write it would it be acceptable for the next release?
--
Quantum dynamics are affecting the transistors
    -- BOFH excuse #44

* Re: isearch feature proposal
@ 2014-01-09  8:40 ` Juri Linkov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Juri Linkov @ 2014-01-09  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Emacs Development List

> I would like isearch to wrap without failing. This would save one
> keystroke (C-s). Looking at the code it would take a bit of hacking.

You could see how it's possible to wrap without failing in
‘multi-isearch-pause’.

* Re: isearch feature proposal
@ 2014-01-09 10:13 ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2014-01-09 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Emacs Development List

* Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> [2014-01-09 09:35]:
> I would like isearch to wrap without failing. This would save one
> keystroke (C-s). Looking at the code it would take a bit of hacking.
> If I write it would it be acceptable for the next release?

You can read a defadvice-based way of doing it here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/285660/automatically-wrapping-i-search

--
Damien Wyart

* Re: isearch feature proposal
@ 2014-01-09 10:33 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-01-09 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Emacs Development List

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

Hi Ivan,

> I would like isearch to wrap without failing. This would save one
> keystroke (C-s).

I sometimes use isearch to check occurences of the symbol at point only
before/after my current position, e.g., to see if my function is not
used before being declared after having moved it.  That wouldn't work if
isearch would silently wrap around.

So that feature should be optional or/and somehow indicate strongly that
it has wrapped around.  But I don't think that saving one C-s/C-r is
such a big improvement.  Your fingers are on that key anyway.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: isearch feature proposal
@ 2014-01-09 12:26   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2014-01-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Wyart; +Cc: Emacs Development List

January, 09 at 11:13 Damien Wyart wrote:

> * Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> [2014-01-09 09:35]:
>> I would like isearch to wrap without failing. This would save one
>> keystroke (C-s). Looking at the code it would take a bit of hacking.
>> If I write it would it be acceptable for the next release?
>
> You can read a defadvice-based way of doing it here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/285660/automatically-wrapping-i-search

Thanks it works like a charm!
--
The middle of every successful project looks like a disaster.
    -- Rosabeth Moss Cantor

I am listening to "Nirvana - Jesus Doesnt Want Me For A Sunbeam".

* Re: isearch feature proposal
@ 2014-01-09 12:33   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2014-01-09 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development List

January, 09 at 11:33 Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
>> I would like isearch to wrap without failing. This would save one
>> keystroke (C-s).

> So that feature should be optional or/and somehow indicate strongly that
> it has wrapped around.  But I don't think that saving one C-s/C-r is
> such a big improvement.  Your fingers are on that key anyway.

I don't know if it's a big improvement. After all I have been satisfied
with the default for many years. I think it should be a defcustom in
ispell.el as vim has the feature and we don't.

Would it be considered after 24.4 is out?
--
New guy cross-connected phone lines with AC power bus.
    -- BOFH excuse #48

I am listening to "Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World".

* Re: isearch feature proposal
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-09 13:17 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-01-09 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Emacs Development List

Hi Ivan,

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:35 AM, Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> wrote:
> I would like isearch to wrap without failing. This would save one
> keystroke (C-s). Looking at the code it would take a bit of hacking. If
> I write it would it be acceptable for the next release?

This would also break isearch's use in a keyboard macro repeat with
`M-0` by making it impossible to stop at the end of the file. I would
also see this as a negative.

But being able to optionally allow wrap (either through a prefix arg
or simply a new function) would be most welcome for when I do intend
to wrap.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.