* run-with-idle-timer Doc string Question
@ 2020-08-21 17:06 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-08-21 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

What does this line:
Using
SECS <= N is not recommended if this function is invoked from an idle
timer, because FUNCTION will then be called immediately.

in the doc-string for run-with-idle-timer mean?

run-with-idle-timer is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
‘timer.el’.

(run-with-idle-timer SECS REPEAT FUNCTION &rest ARGS)

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 19.31.

Perform an action the next time Emacs is idle for SECS seconds.
The action is to call FUNCTION with arguments ARGS.
SECS may be an integer, a floating point number, or the internal
time format returned by, e.g., ‘current-idle-time’.
If Emacs is currently idle, and has been idle for N seconds (N < SECS),
then it will call FUNCTION in SECS - N seconds from now.  Using
SECS <= N is not recommended if this function is invoked from an idle
timer, because FUNCTION will then be called immediately.

If REPEAT is non-nil, do the action each time Emacs has been idle for
exactly SECS seconds (that is, only once for each time Emacs becomes idle).

This function returns a timer object which you can use in ‘cancel-timer’.

[back]

--
♉Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮♉

--
♉Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮♉

* Re: run-with-idle-timer Doc string Question
@ 2020-08-21 19:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-08-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 10:06:39 -0700 (PDT)
>
> What does this line:
> Using
> SECS <= N is not recommended if this function is invoked from an idle
> timer, because FUNCTION will then be called immediately.
>
> in the doc-string for run-with-idle-timer mean?

Which part of that sentence is unclear?

* Re: run-with-idle-timer Doc string Question
@ 2020-08-21 19:46   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-08-21 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

The whole sentence I cited. How exactly would one specify sec < n?

@ 2020-08-21 19:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-08-21 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel, raman

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 12:46:48 -0700
> Cc: raman@google.com,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> The whole sentence I cited. How exactly would one specify sec < n?

So you are saying that the sentence is clear, but you don't understand
how such a situation can happen?

* Re: run-with-idle-timer Doc string Question
@ 2020-08-21 20:49       ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2020-08-21 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs Devel, T.V Raman

I think the part that makes it a bit confusing is that we are talking about
calling run-with-idle-timer with a lower value of SECS from an already
executing callback for another run-with-idle-timer.

@ 2020-08-21 21:23         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-08-21 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: T.V Raman, Emacs Devel

> I think the part that makes it a bit confusing is
> that we are talking about calling run-with-idle-timer
> with a lower value of SECS from an already executing
> callback for another run-with-idle-timer.

Gee, what could possibly be confusing about that? ;-)

(Especially if we don't say that explicitly.)

* Re: run-with-idle-timer Doc string Question
@ 2020-08-22 11:05           ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2020-08-22 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, T.V Raman, Emacs Devel