* Bootstrapping on MS-Windows. Now much slower
@ 2012-12-27 12:21 Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2012-12-27 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

Hello,

Last time I did a bootstrap of the trunk for MS-Windows (9 days ago,
with "mingw32-make -j4 bootstrap"), it took on my laptop about 14/15
minutes to complete.

I've just done this again (with the current trunk), and it has taken
"00h49m28.682s" (?!)

Do you also observe this slow down?  What's the reason for this?

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: Bootstrapping on MS-Windows. Now much slower
@ 2012-12-27 17:44 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-12-27 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dani Moncayo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:21:15 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com>
>
> Last time I did a bootstrap of the trunk for MS-Windows (9 days ago,
> with "mingw32-make -j4 bootstrap"), it took on my laptop about 14/15
> minutes to complete.

Did you use -j4 or -j2 last time?  Using too many simultaneous jobs
can actually slow down the build, although 3-fold slowdown sounds
gross.

> I've just done this again (with the current trunk), and it has taken
> "00h49m28.682s" (?!)
>
> Do you also observe this slow down?

No, I still get my 6 to 7 min (with -j8 on Core i7).

> What's the reason for this?

Did you update your anti-virus software, perhaps?  Or any other
system-wide updates?  Look in the system logs (a.k.a. "Event Viewer"),
under "Application" and "System" for clues.

* Re: Bootstrapping on MS-Windows. Now much slower
@ 2012-12-27 18:04   ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2012-12-27 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Last time I did a bootstrap of the trunk for MS-Windows (9 days ago,
>> with "mingw32-make -j4 bootstrap"), it took on my laptop about 14/15
>> minutes to complete.
>
> Did you use -j4 or -j2 last time?  Using too many simultaneous jobs
> can actually slow down the build, although 3-fold slowdown sounds
> gross.

I used also -j4 last time, but ISTR that -j5 or -j2 gave similar
results (approx. 50% of the time without -jN).  That seems right,
since my CPU (Core i5-2410M) has two cores [1].

[1] http://ark.intel.com/products/52224/Intel-Core-i5-2410M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz

>> I've just done this again (with the current trunk), and it has taken
>> "00h49m28.682s" (?!)
>>
>> Do you also observe this slow down?
>
> No, I still get my 6 to 7 min (with -j8 on Core i7).
>
>> What's the reason for this?
>
> Did you update your anti-virus software, perhaps?  Or any other
> system-wide updates?

I think I've installed the usual automatic updates, but nothing more.

> Look in the system logs (a.k.a. "Event Viewer"),
> under "Application" and "System" for clues.

Thanks, I'll what I can do.

--

@ 2012-12-27 21:30     ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2012-12-27 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Did you update your anti-virus software, perhaps?  Or any other
>> system-wide updates?
>
> I think I've installed the usual automatic updates, but nothing more.
>
>> Look in the system logs (a.k.a. "Event Viewer"),
>> under "Application" and "System" for clues.
>
> Thanks, I'll what I can do.
              ^
             see

After turning off the "real time protection" setting in the "Microsoft
Security Essentials" application, the bootstrap time is now better:
"00h25m56.717s".

I'll play a bit more with its settings and see if I can recover the
original 14/15 minutes.

Thank you.

--

@ 2012-12-28 14:09       ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2012-12-28 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I'll play a bit more with its settings and see if I can recover the
> original 14/15 minutes.

For the record: after doing some experiments, the major factor for the
slowness I saw was the active "power scheme" of my laptop: if I set a
high-performance scheme, I'm able to bootstrap in 14/15 minutes, but
with a energy-saver scheme, that time increases a lot.

Thanks Eli for your help.

--
Dani Moncayo