* Issue with font rendering caused by one of the commits in last 48 hrs #master
@ 2017-01-21  5:45 Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-01-21  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hello all,

I keep my emacs build updated from the master branch pretty regularly.

My last build was using this build:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=8c0fcaf66733f0538a3f024f383cb34a3c93d73c
and
that was good.

A while back, I built using
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=e5e42cefd7f2eb47d2c8660a7a317e8b08d36a82
and
that has font issues.. whether launching emacs directly or emacsclient.

So one of these 4 commits has caused the issue:

e5e42cefd7 * origin/master origin/HEAD master diff-hunk-kill independent of
point inside headers
1508b538fd * ; Revert "Improve diff-mode navigation/manipulation"
82a5e4dc88 * Fix free var FOO-mode-{syntax,abbrev}-table warnings
9c4e3097b5 * Check that variable lists are actually lists

Following images show the issue:
Notice that I am using the exact same emacs config with the exact same
fonts (PragmataPro) set in ~/.Xdefaults. Also I did not see any errors in
the *Messages* buffer at startup.

Good build (8c0fcaf). This is what the fonts looked like:
[image: pasted1]

Bad build (e5e42ce): This is what it looks in the latest build. Notice that
fonts look weird and the vertical pipe char is all misaligned.
[image: pasted2]

Is anyone seeing similar issue?

Thanks.
--

Kaushal Modi

[-- Attachment #2: pasted1 --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 414257 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: pasted2 --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 291600 bytes --]

* Re: Issue with font rendering caused by one of the commits in last 48 hrs #master
@ 2017-01-21 11:08 ` Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2017-01-21 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017, Kaushal Modi wrote:

> Hello all,
> I keep my emacs build updated from the master branch pretty regularly.
>
> My last build was using this
> build: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=8c0fcaf66733f0538a3f024f383cb34a3c93d73c and that was good.
>
> A while back, I built using http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=e5e42cefd7f2eb47d2c8660a7a317e8b08d36a82 and
> that has font issues.. whether launching emacs directly or emacsclient.
>
> So one of these 4 commits has caused the issue:
>
> e5e42cefd7 * origin/master origin/HEAD master diff-hunk-kill independent of point inside headers
> 1508b538fd * ; Revert "Improve diff-mode navigation/manipulation"
> 82a5e4dc88 * Fix free var FOO-mode-{syntax,abbrev}-table warnings
> 9c4e3097b5 * Check that variable lists are actually lists
I don't see this issue in my box.
Is it feasible for you to perform a git bisect?

* Re: Issue with font rendering caused by one of the commits in last 48 hrs #master
@ 2017-01-21 12:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-21 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 05:45:53 +0000
>
> My last build was using this build:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=8c0fcaf66733f0538a3f024f383cb34a3c93d73c and
> that was good.
>
> A while back, I built using
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=e5e42cefd7f2eb47d2c8660a7a317e8b08d36a82 and
> that has font issues.. whether launching emacs directly or emacsclient.
>
> So one of these 4 commits has caused the issue:
>
> e5e42cefd7 * origin/master origin/HEAD master diff-hunk-kill independent of point inside headers
> 1508b538fd * ; Revert "Improve diff-mode navigation/manipulation"
> 82a5e4dc88 * Fix free var FOO-mode-{syntax,abbrev}-table warnings
> 9c4e3097b5 * Check that variable lists are actually lists
>
> Following images show the issue:
> Notice that I am using the exact same emacs config with the exact same fonts (PragmataPro) set in
> ~/.Xdefaults. Also I did not see any errors in the *Messages* buffer at startup.

Please post more details about "the issue".  The only thing I can
glean from the images is that the "good" version uses a fixed-pitch
face, while the "bad" one uses a variable-pitch face.  Your help is
needed in identifying the exact problem you are seeing.  E.g., is the
same font used in both cases?  What do you see in the Custom buffer if
you try to customize the face used by this display?  Etc. etc. -- any
additional details related to what you see will get us closer to
unlocking the mystery.

(I also wonder why you post here and not to the bug tracker.)

Thanks.

* Re: Issue with font rendering caused by one of the commits in last 48 hrs #master
@ 2017-01-21 14:02 ` Noam Postavsky
       [not found]   ` <CAFyQvY096uosF01cyXgTKGMksE1XXk-ec7SS44gHnAHJmxnaSw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2017-01-21 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I keep my emacs build updated from the master branch pretty regularly.
>
> My last build was using this build:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=8c0fcaf66733f0538a3f024f383cb34a3c93d73c
> and that was good.
>
> A while back, I built using
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=e5e42cefd7f2eb47d2c8660a7a317e8b08d36a82
> and that has font issues.. whether launching emacs directly or emacsclient.
>
> So one of these 4 commits has caused the issue:
>
> e5e42cefd7 * origin/master origin/HEAD master diff-hunk-kill independent of
> point inside headers
> 1508b538fd * ; Revert "Improve diff-mode navigation/manipulation"
> 82a5e4dc88 * Fix free var FOO-mode-{syntax,abbrev}-table warnings
> 9c4e3097b5 * Check that variable lists are actually lists

I can't see a plausible way any these could affect the font, are you
sure it wasn't the commit I pushed last night [1: 6a788d2]?

1: 2017-01-20 23:36:26 -0500 6a788d2fc18c23dcfc5d0352649b2f690e9cbff7
  Don't wait for frame to become visible

@ 2017-01-21 17:43     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-01-21 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers