* MATLAB R2016b segmentation-faults when started from emacs
@ 2016-11-14  5:39 Peter Mao
From: Peter Mao @ 2016-11-14  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Apologies if this is not the right place to post this issue, but I couldn't
find a better place!

This problem was originally posted to the matlab.el project on
SourceForge.  In summary, the latest version of Matlab crashes when started
from "shell" or "term" within emacs (I haven't tried e-shell yet, but I can
check it tomorrow morning).  The program starts up without any issues
either from the X11 terminal or OSX's terminal.  In my case, it's always
using /bin/bash.

The problem appears to be some sort of Java or JRE issue, but I can't
imagine how running /bin/bash from within emacs would trigger such an error.

O/P details here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/matlab-emacs/mailman/message/35402696/

I can provide more details as requested.  I don't know if this problem
extends to GNU/Linus or MS operating systems.

thanks,

Peter Mao

* Re: MATLAB R2016b segmentation-faults when started from emacs
@ 2016-11-15 18:02 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-11-15 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Mao, emacs-devel

In reading the comments this appears to be a Matlab bug; more precisely,
a bug in the JVM shipped with Matlab. I saw reports that the problem is
fixed by using a free JVM rather than Matlab's bundled one, so perhaps
you can suggest this to other Matlab users. It could be difficult to
solve the underlying problem (whatever it is) without more cooperation
from the Matlab developers.

* Re: MATLAB R2016b segmentation-faults when started from emacs
@ 2016-11-15 18:26   ` Peter Mao
From: Peter Mao @ 2016-11-15 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Paul,

thanks for your input -- do you have a link to such reports?

Looks like Eric Ludlam in on the case at Mathworks, so there's some hope
for a solution.

Until we know more, the great mystery is why the shell would behave any
differently inside of emacs vs outside of it.

Peter

@ 2016-11-15 18:54     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-11-15 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Mao; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 11/15/2016 10:26 AM, Peter Mao wrote:
> thanks for your input -- do you have a link to such reports?

I was merely reading here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/matlab-emacs/mailman/matlab-emacs-discuss/

which talks about running /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/ to work
around the problem. Not knowing Matlab I don't know how well that would
work in practice. If Mathworks is on the case I assume they will let us
know if it's actually an Emacs bug.