* 357d273d breaks bootstrap
       [not found] <87pmrxc2xg.fsf.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2021-10-22  0:34 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-10-22  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This happens when building isearch.el:

File mode specification error: (error Recursive load /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el)

P.S. what is the immediate necessity for these changes?  IMO, removing
such redundant syntax should be delegated to the same priority as
whitespace changes.

Thanks.

* Re: 357d273d breaks bootstrap
@ 2021-10-22  1:30   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-10-22  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> This happens when building isearch.el:

> File mode specification error: (error Recursive load /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el /home/src/emacs/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el)

I can't reproduce this.  Did you try "make bootstrap"?

* Re: 357d273d breaks bootstrap
@ 2021-10-22  2:19     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-10-22  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I can't reproduce this.  Did you try "make bootstrap"?

Yes, I did.  But I just pulled and did "make bootstrap" again, and it
works now.

@ 2021-10-22  6:09       ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-10-22  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I can't reproduce this.  Did you try "make bootstrap"?
>
> Yes, I did.  But I just pulled and did "make bootstrap" again, and it
> works now.

I've now been able to reproduce it, but I've been struggling to
understand why.  The problem seems to manifest itself when I switch
between the master and emacs-28 branch.

I've therefore reverted any part of that commit that looked even
remotely suspicious to me, and that seems to have fixed it.  If anyone
has built meanwhile are experiencing any issues, I suggest
"make extraclean && make bootstrap", which should resolve it.

Sorry for any trouble this caused.

* Re: 357d273d breaks bootstrap
@ 2021-10-22  6:52   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-10-22  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 08:34:51 +0800
>
> P.S. what is the immediate necessity for these changes?  IMO, removing
> such redundant syntax should be delegated to the same priority as
> whitespace changes.

I agree, FWIW.

* Re: 357d273d breaks bootstrap
@ 2021-10-22  7:21     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-10-22  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I agree, FWIW.

Yes.  Some of these changes make life very difficult for people to find
the source of changes via `git blame', and in general cause me quite the
hassle when rebasing, for instance, the Haiku port I'm working on.

@ 2021-10-22  7:57     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-10-22  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I agree, FWIW.

Point taken.

* Re: 357d273d breaks bootstrap
@ 2021-10-22  8:52         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2021-10-22  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Po Lu, emacs-devel

Stefan Kangas wrote:

> "make extraclean && make bootstrap", which should resolve it.

Or make bootstrap-clean in admin/unidata/Makefile.in and elsewhere run
gen-clean, as I have previously recommended.