* native compilation sets user-init-file to .eln file
@ 2022-11-17  3:46 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2022-11-17  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

# byte-compile your init.el, then
emacs     # init.el is compiled to native code, and user-init-file =>
init.el
C-x C-c
emacs     # user-init-file => points to init-*-*.eln

Which I imagine is unintended, as there are other places in the code (for
example, custom) that expect user-init-file to point to an .el.

Note: The above recipe is entirely reproducible in my system, as long as
running Emacs native-compiles init.el. I add this caveat because I suppose
there's some size/complexity threshold to trigger the native compilation (a
one-line init.el[c] is not native-compiled, for example).

* Re: native compilation sets user-init-file to .eln file
@ 2022-11-17  6:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-11-17  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 04:46:49 +0100
>
> # byte-compile your init.el, then
> emacs     # init.el is compiled to native code, and user-init-file => init.el
> C-x C-c
> emacs     # user-init-file => points to init-*-*.eln
>
> Which I imagine is unintended, as there are other places in the code (for example, custom) that expect
> user-init-file to point to an .el.
>
> Note: The above recipe is entirely reproducible in my system, as long as running Emacs native-compiles
> init.el. I add this caveat because I suppose there's some size/complexity threshold to trigger the native
> compilation (a one-line init.el[c] is not native-compiled, for example).

Thanks, but please always report issues with how Emacs behaves as
bugs.  That helps us to track these problems.

* Re: native compilation sets user-init-file to .eln file
@ 2022-11-17  7:08   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2022-11-17  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sometimes I'm unsure whether something's a bug, that's why I ask.

I'll use report-emacs-bug from now on. Sorry.

* Re: native compilation sets user-init-file to .eln file
@ 2022-11-17  7:27     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-11-17  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> Sometimes I'm unsure whether something's a bug, that's why I ask.

I think even in those cases it is better to just report it as a bug, as
if _yes_ we can treat it as one directly, and if _no_ we can just close
it (perhaps with the tag notabug or wontfix).