* Re: [elpa] externals/debbugs c1934c0296: New option to prefer Magit over VC
       [not found] ` <20230904191535.F097EC04DB0@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2023-09-05 17:46   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-09-05 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Stefan Kangas

Hi Stefan,

>     New option to prefer Magit over VC
>
>     * debbugs-gnu.el (debbugs-gnu-apply-patch-prefers-magit): New
>     defcustom and helper function with the same name.
>     (debbugs-gnu-apply-patch): Prefer Magit to VC when above new
>     defcustom is non-nil.

I believe this warrants to be mentioned in the debbugs-ug.texi manual.

Do you plan further patches to the debbugs package? Shall we release a
new version?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: [elpa] externals/debbugs c1934c0296: New option to prefer Magit over VC
@ 2023-09-05 20:30     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-09-05 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Stefan,
>
>>     New option to prefer Magit over VC
>>
>>     * debbugs-gnu.el (debbugs-gnu-apply-patch-prefers-magit): New
>>     defcustom and helper function with the same name.
>>     (debbugs-gnu-apply-patch): Prefer Magit to VC when above new
>>     defcustom is non-nil.
>
> I believe this warrants to be mentioned in the debbugs-ug.texi manual.

Thanks, I've added it.  Feel free to tweak it if you think it could be
made more clear.

> Do you plan further patches to the debbugs package?

I'm planning to teach it to use "git am" as an alternative to "patch".
I think it would work better in the Magit workflow, which would
basically be to apply the patch, and then inspect the result from the
Magit status buffer.

I'm not yet sure what to do with patches that are not formatted with
"git format-patch", though.  IIUC, the VC flow using "patch" handles
that okay, but using "git am" would not.

> Shall we release a new version?

Sure, why not?  Perhaps someone will find the above useful.

* Re: [elpa] externals/debbugs c1934c0296: New option to prefer Magit over VC
@ 2023-09-06 16:29       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-09-06 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

>>>     * debbugs-gnu.el (debbugs-gnu-apply-patch-prefers-magit): New
>>>     defcustom and helper function with the same name.
>>>     (debbugs-gnu-apply-patch): Prefer Magit to VC when above new
>>>     defcustom is non-nil.
>>
>> I believe this warrants to be mentioned in the debbugs-ug.texi manual.
>
> Thanks, I've added it.  Feel free to tweak it if you think it could be
> made more clear.

No, it's fine for me. The whole patch handling in debbugs is a black
hole for me; it was written by Lars. I've never tried it.

>> Do you plan further patches to the debbugs package?
>
> I'm planning to teach it to use "git am" as an alternative to "patch".
> I think it would work better in the Magit workflow, which would
> basically be to apply the patch, and then inspect the result from the
> Magit status buffer.
>
> I'm not yet sure what to do with patches that are not formatted with
> "git format-patch", though.  IIUC, the VC flow using "patch" handles
> that okay, but using "git am" would not.
>
>> Shall we release a new version?
>
> Sure, why not?  Perhaps someone will find the above useful.

If you plan to commit further changes we can still wait. If you feel
ready, just increase the version in debbugs.el.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: [elpa] externals/debbugs c1934c0296: New option to prefer Magit over VC
@ 2023-09-06 18:38         ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-09-06 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> If you plan to commit further changes we can still wait. If you feel
> ready, just increase the version in debbugs.el.

Will do, thanks.

* Re: [elpa] externals/debbugs c1934c0296: New option to prefer Magit over VC
@ 2023-10-04 17:29           ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-10-04 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

>> If you plan to commit further changes we can still wait. If you feel
>> ready, just increase the version in debbugs.el.
>
> Will do, thanks.

Likely, there will be a new debbugs release next days, due to
bug#66330. Do you have something which shall be added?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: [elpa] externals/debbugs c1934c0296: New option to prefer Magit over VC
@ 2023-10-04 18:43             ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-10-04 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Likely, there will be a new debbugs release next days, due to
> bug#66330. Do you have something which shall be added?

Nothing that will be ready in time for that, sorry.

* Re: [elpa] externals/debbugs c1934c0296: New option to prefer Magit over VC
@ 2023-10-04 19:04               ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-10-04 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

>> Likely, there will be a new debbugs release next days, due to
>> bug#66330. Do you have something which shall be added?
>
> Nothing that will be ready in time for that, sorry.

No sorry needed. I just wanted be in sync with you.

Best regards, Michael.