* GNU APL mode
@ 2013-12-27  4:45 Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2013-12-27  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In October of this year, there was a thread on this mailing list regarding
an Emacs mode for GNU APL. As I did not know about this discussion when I
started building my own mode for it, I started working on my own version.
I've been working on this mode for about a month now, and I feel it's
probably ready for other people to use (maybe :-) ).

The source repository for gnu-apl-mode can be found here:
https://github.com/lokedhs/gnu-apl-mode

Please note that it requires GNU APL from their Subversion repository, as
it utilises some features that were not in the latest official release
(1.1).

In this version, I have implemented three different ways of inputting APL
characters:

  - The standard GNU APL keyboard when the "Super" key is held down.
  - A quail-based input method (APL-Z) that allows you to prefix any key
with a period (i.e. ".G" results in ⍒).
  - Mouse-2 on a character in the keyboard help buffer (C-c k).

The key features of this mode includes:

  - Eldoc integration
  - Documentation popup for the symbol under point (by pressing C-c s)
  - Keyboard help (C-c k)
  - Function editor in a separate buffer (by typing ∇function or pressing
C-c f)
  - Coloured error messages

Any comments or criticisms would be greatly appreciated. Also, if people
find this work acceptable, it would be neat to have it included in ELPA
eventually.

Regards,
Elias

* Re: GNU APL mode
@ 2013-12-27 12:29 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-12-27 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Mårtenson; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Any comments or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if people
> find this work acceptable, it would be neat to have it included in ELPA
> eventually.

I'd be very happy to add an APL-mode to GNU ELPA.
For that, we mostly need the code's copyright to be assigned.
If that's OK with you, then please fill the form below and email to the
FSF as instructed so they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.
I assume you're the sole author (so far), but if there were
contributions from other people, we'd need them to sign that copyright
paperwork as well (unless they've done so already, or unless the
contribution is too "trivial").

        Stefan

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
Emacs

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

* Re: GNU APL mode
@ 2013-12-30  7:20   ` Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2013-12-30  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thank you. I will look into this. I have one question though: If the
package is included in ELPA, are there any restrictions as to the frequency
of updates? Is it as simply as pushing a change to source repository and
it'll be automatically updated in ELPA, or is there some process I have to
go though when pushing a new version?

Regards,
Elias

On 27 December 2013 20:29, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > Any comments or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if people
> > find this work acceptable, it would be neat to have it included in ELPA
> > eventually.
>
> I'd be very happy to add an APL-mode to GNU ELPA.
> For that, we mostly need the code's copyright to be assigned.
> If that's OK with you, then please fill the form below and email to the
> FSF as instructed so they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.
> I assume you're the sole author (so far), but if there were
> contributions from other people, we'd need them to sign that copyright
> paperwork as well (unless they've done so already, or unless the
> contribution is too "trivial").
>

>         Stefan
>

> Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
> will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.
>
> Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
> line of the message.
> REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES
>
> [What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
> Emacs
>
> [Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
> Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]
>

> [Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
> your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]
>

> [For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]
>

> [What year were you born?]
>

> [Please write your email address here.]
>

> [Please write your postal address here.]
>

> [Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
> so far?]

* Re: GNU APL mode
@ 2013-12-30 13:12     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-12-30 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Mårtenson; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Thank you. I will look into this. I have one question though: If the
> package is included in ELPA, are there any restrictions as to the frequency
> of updates?

Yes: a maximum of one update per day.

> Is it as simply as pushing a change to source repository and
> it'll be automatically updated in ELPA,

Yup, tho it can take upto 24h to be updated (and even more if the
update bumps into a problem that requires manual intervention, of course).

> or is there some process I have to
> go though when pushing a new version?

Just bump the version number.