* Emacs <-> Lua bridge
@ 2021-04-18  4:32 Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2021-04-18  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hi list,

about a month ago I asked on the Lua mailing list if anyone there had
tried to create an Emacs module that would load Lua and then start a
Lua interpreter and let Emacs call it...

I received this answer,

and today I finally had time to compile that code on Debian and test
it. It looks prototype-ishy, but it is surprisingly functional - if we
run something that returns several values, like the second sexp here,

  (emlua-dostring "a = 22")
  (emlua-dostring "return a+33, '44', {}")

it retuns a vector like this,

  ["55" "44" "table: 0x55f5e0a15a10"]

with tostring-ed versions of all its return values, and if we run
something that yields an error it returns a string with Lua's error
message.

I haven't played much with it yet.
Happy hacking =),

  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev
  http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2020.html

* Re: Emacs <-> Lua bridge
@ 2021-04-18  4:45 ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2021-04-18  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Ooops, I forgot the link to the version with my comments
and instructions to compile on Debian! Here it is:
  http://angg.twu.net/emacs-lua/emlua.cpp.html
  http://angg.twu.net/emacs-lua/emlua.cpp

Cheers =/,
  Eduardo

@ 2021-04-18 20:16   ` michael schuldt
From: michael schuldt @ 2021-04-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Ochs; +Cc: Emacs developers

Awesome!

Several years ago I compiled the Lua interpreter into Emacs and added
functions for accessing each from the other.
It was just fun experimental software and is not supported or actively
developed and still has unresolved issues,
but might be of interest to you. This was before modules got added to Emacs.
You can check out the code here: https://github.com/mschuldt/luamacs

@ 2021-04-19  7:40     ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2021-04-19  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael schuldt; +Cc: Emacs developers

Hi Michael,

this looks very interesting! What did you use it for?

Do you have plans to adapt your src/luamacs.c and make it into
something that can be loaded as a module? I am quite incompetent with
C, so I can't help you with the C side besides offering encouragement
and testing...

At this moment I have these short-term goals with the emlua module:

  1. Adapt https://github.com/edrx/edrxrepl to emlua,

  2. Use emlua to help me edit the files into which I throw
     interesting URLs compulsively when I am browsing the web in
     half-brain-dead mode,

One of my medium-term goals is to use emlua to turn Emacs into an
editor of derivation trees - see:

  http://angg.twu.net/dednat6/tug-slides.pdf

at this moment I have to edit them by hand, using rectangle commands
and picture mode, and some operations on them are hard to do... Note
that dednat6 has a mini-Forth inside, that is based on this:

  http://angg.twu.net/miniforth-article.html

And this may be somewhat related to the other stuff in your github
page...

  Cheers! =)
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev