* ~/.emacs.d/ in load path  (Calc file conflict)
@ 2012-03-06 15:53 Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2012-03-06 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

I recently got a message from a user who was having trouble starting
Calc when he had Calc settings saved in `calc-settings-file', which by
default is "~/.emacs.d/calc.el".  The user has "~/.emacs.d/" in his load
path, and so when Calc is started Emacs will look in his settings file
"~/.emacs.d/calc.el" instead of ".../lisp/calc/calc.el" for autoloaded
functions.
Is "~/.emacs.d/" often in the load path?

I can change the default value of `calc-settings-file' to something that
will avoid the conflict mentioned above (while still using
"~/.emacs.d/calc.el" if it exists), but should such a change wait for
the 24.1 release?

Jay

* Re: ~/.emacs.d/ in load path  (Calc file conflict)
@ 2012-03-06 17:56 ` chad
From: chad @ 2012-03-06 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: emacs-devel

I've never seen it happen before, but that's hearsay.

Searching for `.emacs.d' on EmacsWiki, I see that it tells users explicitly not to do this (for exactly the reason that your user found) in the sections describing startup files, the first two results:

	emacswiki.org/emacs/DotEmacsDotD
	emacswiki.org/emacs/LoadPath

Seems like good news.  I also found a couple examples of people doing it (TimAnderson, ExtraLicense) in the first page of search results, which is less good news.

Hope that helps,
*Chad

@ 2012-03-06 18:09   ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2012-03-06 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

> I've never seen it happen before, but that's hearsay.
>
> Searching for `.emacs.d' on EmacsWiki, I see that it tells users
> explicitly not to do this

That was a good idea.  I checked the manual with no luck, but it didn't
occur to me to check the wiki.  While the wiki isn't official (as far as
I know), if not putting .emacs.d in the load path is the official policy
perhaps it should be mentioned in the manual.

> Hope that helps,

Thanks,

@ 2012-03-07  1:05     ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2012-03-07  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jay Belanger writes:

 > That was a good idea.  I checked the manual with no luck, but it didn't
 > occur to me to check the wiki.  While the wiki isn't official (as far as
 > I know), if not putting .emacs.d in the load path is the official policy
 > perhaps it should be mentioned in the manual.

FWIW, the corresponding practice of putting "~/.xemacs/" in load-path
is an even worse idea in XEmacs, as generic customizations are kept in
~/.xemacs/custom.el by default, which would shadow the custom library.

* Re: ~/.emacs.d/ in load path  (Calc file conflict)
@ 2012-03-07 17:15       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-03-07 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

We could add a sanity check after loading .emacs if it's a common
enough problem.  Of course, a more general shadowing check would also be
good, tho some shadowings are done on purpose so we'd need to figure out
a way to silence the warnings for those desired shadowings.

* Re: ~/.emacs.d/ in load path (Calc file conflict)
@ 2012-03-07 18:42         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2012-03-07 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, Stephen J. Turnbull, emacs-devel

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 18:15, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> We could add a sanity check after loading .emacs if it's a common
> enough problem.  Of course, a more general shadowing check would also be
> good, tho some shadowings are done on purpose so we'd need to figure out
> a way to silence the warnings for those desired shadowings.

Why not just add the shadowing check and then think about the warnings
that should be silenced as they show up?

* Re: ~/.emacs.d/ in load path (Calc file conflict)
@ 2012-03-07 20:29           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-03-07 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, Stephen J. Turnbull, emacs-devel

>> We could add a sanity check after loading .emacs if it's a common
>> enough problem.  Of course, a more general shadowing check would also be
>> good, tho some shadowings are done on purpose so we'd need to figure out
>> a way to silence the warnings for those desired shadowings.
> Why not just add the shadowing check and then think about the warnings
> that should be silenced as they show up?

The shadowings won't show up here, but on end-user machines.  So there's
no need to wait for such shadowings to appear, they already exist
out there.

* Re: ~/.emacs.d/ in load path  (Calc file conflict)
@ 2012-03-12 18:59 ` antono
From: antono @ 2012-03-12 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

On Tue 06 Mar 2012 06:53:48 PM FET, Jay Belanger wrote:

 > I recently got a message from a user who was having trouble starting
 > Calc when he had Calc settings saved in `calc-settings-file', which by
 > default is "~/.emacs.d/calc.el".  The user has "~/.emacs.d/" in his load
 > path, and so when Calc is started Emacs will look in his settings file
 > "~/.emacs.d/calc.el" instead of ".../lisp/calc/calc.el" for autoloaded > functions.

 Good observation. Overall this liberal usage of ~/.emacs.d for
 different kinds of configs and caches does not looks good and leads to
 such ugly errors.

 What if Emacs define some emacs-cache-dir and emacs-data-dir variables
 and recomend to use them in extensions?

 What do you think, emacs gurus?

 Previous art:

 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
 - http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

* Re: ~/.emacs.d/ in load path (Calc file conflict)
@ 2012-03-12 22:56   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2012-03-12 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: self; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 19:59, antono <self@antono.info> wrote:

>  Good observation. Overall this liberal usage of ~/.emacs.d for
>  different kinds of configs and caches does not looks good and leads to
>  such ugly errors.
>
>  What if Emacs define some emacs-cache-dir and emacs-data-dir variables
>  and recomend to use them in extensions?

That's what user-emacs-directory (~/.emacs.d/ by default) is for.

>  What do you think

That ~/.emacs.d/ should not be in the load path.

    Juanma