* Emacs versioning scheme
@ 2012-08-22  7:29 Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2012-08-22  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

Hello,

One question: Currently, some patches commited to trunk are being
tagged as "version: 24.3".  But if some other severe bug arises upon
the (not yet) released Emacs 24.2, so that a 24.3 release becomes
necessary (from the emacs-24 branch), then such tags will be
incorrect, won't they?

It seems that the current versioning pattern has this problem.  We
don't know beforehand the version under which the current trunk code
will be released.

So, what about switching to a different pattern which doesn't have this problem?

For example: Name the next trunk's branch as "emacs-24.3", and every
release made from that branch would be labeled "emacs 24.3.x".

This way, we would know for sure that the trunk code would be released
as version "24.4" (or "25.1" -- what the maintainer's decide).

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: Emacs versioning scheme
@ 2012-08-22 11:45 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2012-08-22 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dani Moncayo; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> So, what about switching to a different pattern which doesn't have this problem?

I'd suggest searching the list archives for past discussions about
naming schemes, and also about different schemes of
development/release on trunk vs. branches.

    Juanma