* lax whitespace search
@ 2015-09-03 15:38 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-09-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When we discussed this a few days ago, I thought I found that only SPC
did a lax search.

However, I just found that C-j was also doing a lax search.
I put this text in a Fundamental mode buffer

foo D is on the
Desk

and typed C-s C-j D.  It found both Ds.

That is clearly wrong.  If I wanted a lax whitespace search, I'd type
SPC.

Please fix this so that C-j searches only for itself.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-09-03 15:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-03 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 11:38:53 -0400
>
> When we discussed this a few days ago, I thought I found that only SPC
> did a lax search.
>
> However, I just found that C-j was also doing a lax search.
> I put this text in a Fundamental mode buffer
>
> foo D is on the
> Desk
>
> and typed C-s C-j D.  It found both Ds.
>
> That is clearly wrong.  If I wanted a lax whitespace search, I'd type
> SPC.
>
> Please fix this so that C-j searches only for itself.

I don't see the above problem with the current master.  Is your build
current?  If not, it appears that the problem was already fixed.

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-09-03 16:39   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2015-09-03 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> However, I just found that C-j was also doing a lax search.
>> I put this text in a Fundamental mode buffer
>>
>> foo D is on the
>> Desk
>>
>> and typed C-s C-j D.  It found both Ds.
>>
>> That is clearly wrong.  If I wanted a lax whitespace search, I'd type
>> SPC.
>>
>> Please fix this so that C-j searches only for itself.
>
> I don't see the above problem with the current master.  Is your build
> current?  If not, it appears that the problem was already fixed.

It doesn't happen in 24.5 either.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-09-03 17:16     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-03 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 18:39:20 +0200
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> However, I just found that C-j was also doing a lax search.
> >> I put this text in a Fundamental mode buffer
> >>
> >> foo D is on the
> >> Desk
> >>
> >> and typed C-s C-j D.  It found both Ds.
> >>
> >> That is clearly wrong.  If I wanted a lax whitespace search, I'd type
> >> SPC.
> >>
> >> Please fix this so that C-j searches only for itself.
> >
> > I don't see the above problem with the current master.  Is your build
> > current?  If not, it appears that the problem was already fixed.
>
> It doesn't happen in 24.5 either.

I think there was a brief period of time when master behaved like
that.  AFAIR, it was introduced as part of the char-fold-search
changes.  But it was fixed since then.

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-09-04 17:18   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-09-04 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I don't see the above problem with the current master.  Is your build
  > current?  If not, it appears that the problem was already fixed.

I rebuilt 3 weeks ago.  If it has been fixed since then, that is good.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-09-05  7:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-05  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms, Artur Malabarba; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 13:18:37 -0400
>
>   > I don't see the above problem with the current master.  Is your build
>   > current?  If not, it appears that the problem was already fixed.
>
> I rebuilt 3 weeks ago.  If it has been fixed since then, that is good.

Artur, can you help us here?  When was this issue fixed on master?

TIA

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-09-05 11:25       ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-09-05 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 13:18:37 -0400
>>
>>   > I don't see the above problem with the current master.  Is your build
>>   > current?  If not, it appears that the problem was already fixed.
>>
>> I rebuilt 3 weeks ago.  If it has been fixed since then, that is good.
>
> Artur, can you help us here?  When was this issue fixed on master?
>
> TIA

Yes, this happened less than 3 weeks ago, when I disabled char-folding
by default. Technically, the char-fold + lax-whitespace issue isn't
actually fixed.

It's a commit of mine from Wed Aug 19 11:45:49 2015 +0100
Specifically:

    7eed7399358faecd719febae4dc720ef2be41155
    * isearch.el (isearch-search-fun-default): Revert a5bdb87

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-09-06  3:01         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-09-06  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.connor.am; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

  > Yes, this happened less than 3 weeks ago, when I disabled char-folding
  > by default. Technically, the char-fold + lax-whitespace issue isn't
  > actually fixed.

Can you fix it?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-09-06  9:57           ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-09-06  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>   > Yes, this happened less than 3 weeks ago, when I disabled char-folding
>   > by default. Technically, the char-fold + lax-whitespace issue isn't
>   > actually fixed.
>
> Can you fix it?

Yes. It's not a conceptual incompatbility, it's just that isearch
doesn't offer lax-whitespacing for searches modified via tha
isearc-word variable.

Fixing it is on my list, but it will take a couple of months.

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-12-22  5:36             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-22  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.connor.am; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

  > Yes. It's not a conceptual incompatbility, it's just that isearch
  > doesn't offer lax-whitespacing for searches modified via tha
  > isearc-word variable.

  > Fixing it is on my list, but it will take a couple of months.

1. Have you done this?  Do you still plan to?

2. Would it fix the problem that isearching for LFD matches spaces?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-12-22 13:24               ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-12-22 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

>   > Yes. It's not a conceptual incompatbility, it's just that isearch
>   > doesn't offer lax-whitespacing for searches modified via tha
>   > isearc-word variable.
>
>   > Fixing it is on my list, but it will take a couple of months.
>
> 1. Have you done this?  Do you still plan to?

I have. All types of isearch are now treated the same WRT to lax-whitespacing.

> 2. Would it fix the problem that isearching for LFD matches spaces?

Yes. It's fixed for me.

* Re: lax whitespace search
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-22 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: bruce.connor.am, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> CC: eliz@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 00:36:26 -0500
>
> 2. Would it fix the problem that isearching for LFD matches spaces?

Richard, this problem was fixed many moons ago.  I wonder why you
still keep mentioning it.  It makes me think that maybe I don't
understand the problem you are talking about.  Could you describe a
recipe for reproducing it, and if you can reproduce it in your current
Emacs, say when you updated the sources from the repository?

Thanks.

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-12-23  5:08                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-23  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bruce.connor.am, emacs-devel

With the following text in Rmail or in a Mail buffer,

  > Richard, this problem was fixed many moons ago.  I wonder why you
  > still keep mentioning it.  It makes me think that maybe I don't
  > understand the problem you are talking about.  Could you describe a
  > recipe for reproducing it, and if you can reproduce it in your current
  > Emacs, say when you updated the sources from the repository?

with point at the start of it, I type C-s LFD LFD and it matches the spaces
after "ago.".

I fetchd the sources on Nov 14.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-12-23  5:09                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-23  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.connor.am; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

  > > 2. Would it fix the problem that isearching for LFD matches spaces?

  > Yes. It's fixed for me.

When did you make that fix?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: lax whitespace search
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-23 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: bruce.connor.am, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> CC: bruce.connor.am@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 00:08:05 -0500
>
> With the following text in Rmail or in a Mail buffer,
>
>   > Richard, this problem was fixed many moons ago.  I wonder why you
>   > still keep mentioning it.  It makes me think that maybe I don't
>   > understand the problem you are talking about.  Could you describe a
>   > recipe for reproducing it, and if you can reproduce it in your current
>   > Emacs, say when you updated the sources from the repository?
>
> with point at the start of it, I type C-s LFD LFD and it matches the spaces
> after "ago.".

I don't have that problem, neither on master nor on the emacs-25
branch.

> I fetchd the sources on Nov 14.

From master or from emacs-25?  I tried an emacs-25 branch build I had
from Nov 16, and there was no such problem there, either.

Could it be that you have some stale Lisp files somewhere?  Does
list-load-path-shadows tell anything of significance?

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-12-24  5:43                     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-24  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bruce.connor.am, emacs-devel

  > > I fetchd the sources on Nov 14.

  > From master or from emacs-25?

From master.

I just tested it in emacs -Q; the failure is the same.
It fails in Fundamental mode, too.

list-load-path-shadows says there are none.

A few Lisp files are edited, but none that would affect Fundamental mode.

No .elc files are stale -- they were all recompiled on Nov 14 by the
build process.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: lax whitespace search
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-24 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: bruce.connor.am, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> CC: bruce.connor.am@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 00:43:44 -0500
>
>   > > I fetchd the sources on Nov 14.
>
>   > From master or from emacs-25?
>
> From master.
>
> I just tested it in emacs -Q; the failure is the same.
> It fails in Fundamental mode, too.
>
> list-load-path-shadows says there are none.
>
> A few Lisp files are edited, but none that would affect Fundamental mode.
>
> No .elc files are stale -- they were all recompiled on Nov 14 by the
> build process.

Very strange.

Artur, any ideas what could cause this?

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-12-24 23:58                         ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-12-24 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

On 24 Dec 2015 2:14 pm, "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > A few Lisp files are edited, but none that would affect Fundamental
mode.

> > No .elc files are stale -- they were all recompiled on Nov 14 by the
> > build process.
>
> Very strange.
>
> Artur, any ideas what could cause this?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe this was briefly broken right
around the time Richard last fetched the sources.

Richard, could you try pulling the latest emacs-25 again?

* Re: lax whitespace search
@ 2015-12-26  6:14                           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-26  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.connor.am; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

  > Richard, could you try pulling the latest emacs-25 again?

I did that today, and the problem seems to have been fixed.
That is a relief.

By the way, it turns out that none of the files in my build from Nov
14 were edited locally.  There were backup files, but they resulted
from changes I committed in August.

--
Dr Richard Stallman