* lexical-binding causes a lot more GC, why?
@ 2015-10-28 15:12 Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2015-10-28 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

We found, while doing optimizations in flx (
https://github.com/lewang/flx/pull/76#issuecomment-151689064) that enabling
lexical-binding caused a lot of GC runs.

I thought lexical-binding should always result in perf gains, does anyone
know why this could be happening?

--
Le

* Re: lexical-binding causes a lot more GC, why?
@ 2015-10-30 19:07 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-30 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Le Wang; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I thought lexical-binding should always result in perf gains, does anyone
> know why this could be happening?

Hi Le, would it be possible to create a test that takes the memory-use-counts
before some activity, then after, with and without lexical-binding enabled, so
that we could fail if lexical-binding has bad behavior? I think that should be
more efficient, so I'd love to pin this down in an isolated case.

John

* Re: lexical-binding causes a lot more GC, why?
@ 2015-10-30 21:14 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2015-10-30 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 10/28/2015 08:12 AM, Le Wang wrote:

> I thought lexical-binding should always result in perf gains

Isn't lexical binding implemented by passing around a list of bindings?
That might explain the performance problems you see. (Sorry, I haven't
looked at the actual code; this is just my vague recollection.)

* Re: lexical-binding causes a lot more GC, why?
@ 2015-10-30 22:10   ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-10-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel