* Re: Emacs crashes when I try to quit
       [not found] <CAAGqPs445D=pQKbnXO4u6Kuak+ysdem-NN9KDCuaTTsXfcwr+w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-04-03 15:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-04-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sawbones Surio; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 20:29:40 +0530
> From: Sawbones Surio <sawbonessurio@gmail.com>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org
>
> So the conclusion is that libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll that came with gnuplot is
> incompatible with what Emacs was linked against.  To solve this
> without having to remove gnuplot, find the file libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
> that Emacs is using now (e.g., by using the "depends" program), and
> copy it into the same directory where you have emacs.exe.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm having exactly the same problem.
> See here: http://superuser.com/questions/576512/emacs-24-3-on-windows-7-does-not-close-properly
>
> But there is a slight twist in the tale for me:
> In my case, "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll" was never seen in dependency walker. Whoa!
> And I had ~16 of those libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll files in various FOSS modules.
> Per your suggestion, I tried pasting these dlls from 3-4 different
> applications, one at a time, into \bin\emacs.exe dir, but I still get
> the same error.
>
> Since this was not going anywhere, I've decided to let the list know
> of this behaviour.
>
> Any suggestions?

Ask the person who produced emacs.exe to tell you where he/she
downloaded libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll, and what are its size and time stamp.
Then look for that version of the DLL on that very site.

* Re: Emacs crashes when I try to quit
@ 2013-04-03 15:47   ` Sawbones Surio
From: Sawbones Surio @ 2013-04-03 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Greetings!

Basically, emacs has crashed on Win XP/7 for me, every time while I closed
it, since 23.x. I'm on the latest release, and being completely fed up now,
I finally decided to do something about it.

The fastest way to provide a context and background of my problem is to
provide this Stack Exchange link:
http://superuser.com/questions/576512/emacs-24-3-on-windows-7-does-not-close-properly

@Eli told me to get in touch here:

Ask the person who produced emacs.exe to tell you where he/she
> downloaded libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll, and what are its size and time stamp.
> Then look for that version of the DLL on that very site.

Thanks for any help you have on this one, people.

Best,
surio.

@ 2013-04-04  5:45 Miguel Ruiz
From: Miguel Ruiz @ 2013-04-04  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

AFAIK,  libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is statically linked so it is irrelevant the
origin of the file.

I have experienced the same crashes and I can confirm two things:
- No crashes with gcc v3.x.x
- No crashes with gcc v4.5 sjlj

And this thread<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27481215>might
confirm the last point.

Now I am going to build with tdm-gcc-4.7.1-2
<http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/download>MinGW
sjlj <http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/download>, and test stability. If anyone
would like to test my binaries, please, let me know: I will be pleased.

HTH

Miguel.

* Re: Emacs crashes when I try to quit
@ 2013-04-04 16:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-04-04 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ruiz; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 07:45:59 +0200
> From: Miguel Ruiz <rbenit68@gmail.com>
>
> AFAIK,  libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is statically linked so it is irrelevant the
> origin of the file.

A DLL can never be statically linked.

If you want to be sure whether or not your executables depend on that
DLL, use the "depends" tool, which you can download from the net --
just run it as in "depends emacs.exe" and it will show a window with
all the DLLs that the binary wants to load.  Or use objdump that you
already have, like this:

  objdump -x emacs.exe | fgrep "DLL Name:"

The latter only shows the names of the DLLs, not their absolute file
names.

> I have experienced the same crashes and I can confirm two things:
> - No crashes with gcc v3.x.x
> - No crashes with gcc v4.5 sjlj
>
> And this thread<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27481215>might
> confirm the last point.
>
> Now I am going to build with tdm-gcc-4.7.1-2
> <http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/download>MinGW
> sjlj <http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/download>, and test stability. If anyone
> would like to test my binaries, please, let me know: I will be pleased.

If the above methods show that your binary depends on
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll, you _must_ tell your users which one of them is
actually linked into the binary.  The "depends" tool will show you a
full path to the DLL which the binary will use, and the linker links
against the DLL which came with the version of GCC you used to compile
Emacs.  You should tell the users "get libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll from GCC
version 4.x.y that you find on this-and-that site".

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs crashes when I try to quit
@ 2013-04-04 18:30   ` Miguel Ruiz
From: Miguel Ruiz @ 2013-04-04 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> A DLL can never be statically linked.

I meant "every dependent compiled object included in the libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
is statically linked"

> If you want to be sure whether or not your executables depend on that
> DLL, use the "depends" tool, which you can download from the net --
> just run it as in "depends emacs.exe" and it will show a window with
> all the DLLs that the binary wants to load.  Or use objdump that you
> already have, like this:

 >  objdump -x emacs.exe | fgrep "DLL Name:"

Official emacs.exe, 2013-03-13 14:38, 9.031.038 bytes

objdump -x emacs.exe | fgrep "DLL Name:" yields

DLL Name: ADVAPI32.DLL
DLL Name: COMCTL32.DLL
DLL Name: COMDLG32.DLL
DLL Name: GDI32.dll
DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll
DLL Name: MPR.DLL
DLL Name: msvcrt.dll
DLL Name: OLE32.dll
DLL Name: SHELL32.DLL
DLL Name: USER32.dll
DLL Name: USP10.DLL
DLL Name: WINMM.DLL
DLL Name: WINSPOOL.DRV

So I asume there is no dependency on libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.

I have always run emacs.exe with no libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll around.

Miguel.

@ 2013-04-04 18:41     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-04-04 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ruiz; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:30:26 +0200
> From: Miguel Ruiz <rbenit68@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > A DLL can never be statically linked.
>
> I meant "every dependent compiled object included in the libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
> is statically linked"

A.k.a. "Emacs is statically linked with libgcc.a."

> Official emacs.exe, 2013-03-13 14:38, 9.031.038 bytes
>
> objdump -x emacs.exe | fgrep "DLL Name:" yields
>
> DLL Name: ADVAPI32.DLL
> DLL Name: COMCTL32.DLL
> DLL Name: COMDLG32.DLL
> DLL Name: GDI32.dll
> DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll
> DLL Name: MPR.DLL
> DLL Name: msvcrt.dll
> DLL Name: OLE32.dll
> DLL Name: SHELL32.DLL
> DLL Name: USER32.dll
> DLL Name: USP10.DLL
> DLL Name: WINMM.DLL
> DLL Name: WINSPOOL.DRV

Case closed.  Thanks.

* Re: Emacs crashes when I try to quit
@ 2013-04-05  0:07   ` Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2013-04-05  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Miguel Ruiz, emacs-devel

On 4/4/2013 9:45 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 07:45:59 +0200
>> From: Miguel Ruiz <rbenit68@gmail.com>
>>
>> AFAIK,  libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is statically linked so it is irrelevant the
>> origin of the file.
>
> A DLL can never be statically linked.

It can't be? A DLL can have exports but no imports.

* Re: Emacs crashes when I try to quit
@ 2013-04-05  6:09     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-04-05  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Colascione; +Cc: rbenit68, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 17:07:16 -0700
> From: Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>
> CC: Miguel Ruiz <rbenit68@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>

> [1:text/plain Hide]
>
> On 4/4/2013 9:45 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 07:45:59 +0200
> >> From: Miguel Ruiz <rbenit68@gmail.com>
> >>
> >> AFAIK,  libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is statically linked so it is irrelevant the
> >> origin of the file.
> >
> > A DLL can never be statically linked.
>
> It can't be? A DLL can have exports but no imports.

It's a misunderstanding, probably mine.  I meant it cannot be
statically linked into a program that imports its functions.