* mailing list archives
@ 2013-06-05 15:56 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-06-05 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org Development

Dunno whether this is the right place to mention this problem.

seem to not show threads correctly.

Here is the start of a help-emacs-windows@gnu.org thread, for instance:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2013-05/msg00019.html

In both the thread view and the dates view, it appears as if there is no
continuation of this thread - no replies to the OP (no `Next in Thread').

There *is* a continuation of the thread, but to find it you have to
move to the next period (next month):

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2013-06/msg00000.html

And in that next-period thread view you cannot see the first part of
the thread (in this case, just the OP).  In effect, there appear to be two
separate threads, the first having only the OP and the second having no OP.

* Re: mailing list archives
@ 2013-06-05 21:49 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-05 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

It's just how Mailman archives work, and no, no-one here can do
anything about it.

* Re: mailing list archives
@ 2013-06-05 23:19   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-06-05 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drew.adams; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> It's just how Mailman archives work, and no, no-one here can do
> anything about it.

Agreed.  I'm not familiar with Mailman, but I think this topic should be
discussed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

@ 2013-06-06  9:26     ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2013-06-06  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: Emacs developers

Xue Fuqiao writes:
 > On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
 > >
 > > It's just how Mailman archives work, and no, no-one here can do
 > > anything about it.
 >
 > Agreed.  I'm not familiar with Mailman, but I think this topic should be
 > discussed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman

Please, don't waste our time and yours; the bug will just be closed
wontfix.  The issues with the stock archiver Pipermail are well-known,
there are plenty of good alternatives if you can't live with them now
(it's easy to hook up MHonArc, mail-archive.com, or gmane), and
Pipermail is end-of-life[1] (as is all of Mailman 2).  Only security
and easy-fix issues go into Mailman 2 nowadays.  Threading in
Pipermail is neither.

Mailman 3 will have a completely different stock archive manager (in
fact, a separate project currently called HyperKitty).  We haven't yet
decided if it will be bundled, but I think probably it will be.

For more info (don't ask me, it's not my baby):
    https://fedorahosted.org/hyperkitty/
    https://hyperkitty.readthedocs.org/
    https://github.com/hyperkitty

Footnotes:
[1]  As much as any free software can be EOLed, of course.

* Re: mailing list archives
@ 2013-06-06 13:50       ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-06-06 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
> Xue Fuqiao writes:
>  > Agreed.  I'm not familiar with Mailman, but I think this topic should be
>  > discussed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman
>
> Please, don't waste our time and yours; the bug will just be closed
> wontfix.  The issues with the stock archiver Pipermail are well-known,
> there are plenty of good alternatives if you can't live with them now
> (it's easy to hook up MHonArc, mail-archive.com, or gmane), and
> Pipermail is end-of-life[1] (as is all of Mailman 2).  Only security
> and easy-fix issues go into Mailman 2 nowadays.  Threading in
> Pipermail is neither.
>
> Mailman 3 will have a completely different stock archive manager (in
> fact, a separate project currently called HyperKitty).  We haven't yet
> decided if it will be bundled, but I think probably it will be.

I see.  Thanks for your information and your patience.