* 23.0.60; Echo Area Face
@ 2008-06-04  0:31 Florian Beck
From: Florian Beck @ 2008-06-04  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

I was experimenting with Miles Baders new face remapping functionality
and tried to display the minibuffer/echo area in a smaller font size.

This does the job for minibuffer-iteraction:

(add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook 'set-minibuffer-face)

(defun set-minibuffer-face ()
    (set (make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist)
       '((default :family "DejaVu Sans" :height 0.75))))

but there doesn't seem a way to influence the display of messages
displayed in the minibuffer. I tought the above would take care of it. I
know the minibuffer is somewhat special. How do I set a buffer local
variable for it?

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.5 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2008-06-03 on aeschylus
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=no' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O0 -fno-crossjumping -g''

--
Florian Beck

* Re: 23.0.60; Echo Area Face
@ 2008-06-04  5:44 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-04  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Beck; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

> I was experimenting with Miles Baders new face remapping functionality
> and tried to display the minibuffer/echo area in a smaller font size.

> This does the job for minibuffer-iteraction:

> (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook 'set-minibuffer-face)

> (defun set-minibuffer-face ()
>     (set (make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist)
>        '((default :family "DejaVu Sans" :height 0.75))))

> but there doesn't seem a way to influence the display of messages
> displayed in the minibuffer. I tought the above would take care of it. I
> know the minibuffer is somewhat special. How do I set a buffer local
> variable for it?

I thought that maybe the following hack I've been using for ages (to add
special key bindings to my minibuffer-only frame, such as `f' to
find-file-other-frame) would work as well but it doesn't because the
echo messages are displayed in the same window as the minibuffers, but
in diferent buffers.

(add-hook 'minibuffer-exit-hook
          (lambda ()
            (with-current-buffer (window-buffer (minibuffer-window))
              (set (make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist)
                   '((default :family "DejaVu Sans" :height 0.75))))))

so you'll need to set this var in all the " *Echo Area N*" buffers,
which is rather ugly.  I don't know how many of them there can be:
I only see 2 here (the 0 and the 1), but maybe there can be more (tho
maybe not, since there can't be recursive echo area messages AFAIK),

* Re: 23.0.60; Echo Area Face
@ 2008-06-06  5:55   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-06-06  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I was experimenting with Miles Baders new face remapping functionality
>> and tried to display the minibuffer/echo area in a smaller font size.
>
>> This does the job for minibuffer-iteraction:
>
>> (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook 'set-minibuffer-face)
>
>> (defun set-minibuffer-face ()
>>     (set (make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist)
>>        '((default :family "DejaVu Sans" :height 0.75))))
>
>> but there doesn't seem a way to influence the display of messages
>> displayed in the minibuffer. I tought the above would take care of it. I
>> know the minibuffer is somewhat special. How do I set a buffer local
>> variable for it?
>
> I thought that maybe the following hack I've been using for ages (to add
> special key bindings to my minibuffer-only frame, such as `f' to
> find-file-other-frame) would work as well but it doesn't because the
> echo messages are displayed in the same window as the minibuffers, but
> in diferent buffers.
>
> (add-hook 'minibuffer-exit-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (with-current-buffer (window-buffer (minibuffer-window))
>               (set (make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist)
>                    '((default :family "DejaVu Sans" :height 0.75))))))
>
> so you'll need to set this var in all the " *Echo Area N*" buffers,
> which is rather ugly.  I don't know how many of them there can be:
> I only see 2 here (the 0 and the 1), but maybe there can be more (tho
> maybe not, since there can't be recursive echo area messages AFAIK),

There can not be more than 2: the dual echo area buffers are hard-coded
in xdisp.c.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA