* Steps to Send a Patch for a New Feature?
@ 2022-06-10  5:11 Wamm K. D.
From: Wamm K. D. @ 2022-06-10  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

'Ello, Emacs.

A few years ago, I was adding a feature to a library, before it was part
of Emacs proper, and ran head-first into a brick wall of executive
dysfunction.

In the time since, the library was added to Emacs's source; I have the
bulk of the work done as the only remaining thing the author wanted was
another example of the new feature I was adding but I'm unfamiliar with
the process to send a patch for Emacs.

Any help is super appreciated!

* Re: Steps to Send a Patch for a New Feature?
@ 2022-06-10  6:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-06-10  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wamm K. D.; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "Wamm K. D." <jaft.r@outlook.com>
> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 00:11:39 -0500
>
> 'Ello, Emacs.
>
> A few years ago, I was adding a feature to a library, before it was part
> of Emacs proper, and ran head-first into a brick wall of executive
> dysfunction.
>
> In the time since, the library was added to Emacs's source; I have the
> bulk of the work done as the only remaining thing the author wanted was
> another example of the new feature I was adding but I'm unfamiliar with
> the process to send a patch for Emacs.

The process is documented in CONTRIBUTE, which you will find in the
top-level directory of the Emacs source tree.  In a nutshell, you make
the changes in your local clone of the Emacs Git repository, then send
the changes as an attachment in "git format-patch" form.  We prefer
that you send that to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which will then be
recorded by our issue tracker.

TIA

* Re: Steps to Send a Patch for a New Feature?
@ 2022-06-10  6:45   ` Wamm K. D.
From: Wamm K. D. @ 2022-06-10  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri. (Jun 10, 2022) at 02:35:28 AM -04, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: "Wamm K. D." <jaft.r@outlook.com>
>> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 00:11:39 -0500
>>
>> 'Ello, Emacs.
>>
>> A few years ago, I was adding a feature to a library, before it was part
>> of Emacs proper, and ran head-first into a brick wall of executive
>> dysfunction.
>>
>> In the time since, the library was added to Emacs's source; I have the
>> bulk of the work done as the only remaining thing the author wanted was
>> another example of the new feature I was adding but I'm unfamiliar with
>> the process to send a patch for Emacs.
>
> The process is documented in CONTRIBUTE, which you will find in the
> top-level directory of the Emacs source tree.  In a nutshell, you make
> the changes in your local clone of the Emacs Git repository, then send
> the changes as an attachment in "git format-patch" form.  We prefer
> that you send that to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which will then be
> recorded by our issue tracker.
>
> TIA

Awesome; 'sounds good. Every resource I was able to find only specified
sending bugs to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org so I wasn't sure if new features
should be sent there, as well. Thanks so much (again) for the guidance;
'very much appreciated.

* Re: Steps to Send a Patch for a New Feature?
@ 2022-06-10  8:39     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-06-10  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wamm K. D.; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

"Wamm K. D." <jaft.r@outlook.com> writes:

> On Fri. (Jun 10, 2022) at 02:35:28 AM -04, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> From: "Wamm K. D." <jaft.r@outlook.com>
>>> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 00:11:39 -0500
>>>
>>> 'Ello, Emacs.
>>>
>>> A few years ago, I was adding a feature to a library, before it was part
>>> of Emacs proper, and ran head-first into a brick wall of executive
>>> dysfunction.
>>>
>>> In the time since, the library was added to Emacs's source; I have the
>>> bulk of the work done as the only remaining thing the author wanted was
>>> another example of the new feature I was adding but I'm unfamiliar with
>>> the process to send a patch for Emacs.
>>
>> The process is documented in CONTRIBUTE, which you will find in the
>> top-level directory of the Emacs source tree.  In a nutshell, you make
>> the changes in your local clone of the Emacs Git repository, then send
>> the changes as an attachment in "git format-patch" form.  We prefer
>> that you send that to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which will then be
>> recorded by our issue tracker.
>>
>> TIA
>
> Awesome; 'sounds good. Every resource I was able to find only specified
> sending bugs to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org so I wasn't sure if new features
> should be sent there, as well. Thanks so much (again) for the guidance;
> 'very much appreciated.

If you are using Emacs 28 or newer, you should be able to make use of
the `submit-emacs-patch' command that automates part of the patch
process.

* Re: Steps to Send a Patch for a New Feature?
@ 2022-06-11  6:58       ` Wamm K. D.
From: Wamm K. D. @ 2022-06-11  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Fri. (Jun 10, 2022) at 08:39:41 AM GMT, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

>>> The process is documented in CONTRIBUTE, which you will find in the
>>> top-level directory of the Emacs source tree.  In a nutshell, you make
>>> the changes in your local clone of the Emacs Git repository, then send
>>> the changes as an attachment in "git format-patch" form.  We prefer
>>> that you send that to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which will then be
>>> recorded by our issue tracker.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Awesome; 'sounds good. Every resource I was able to find only specified
>> sending bugs to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org so I wasn't sure if new features
>> should be sent there, as well. Thanks so much (again) for the guidance;
>> 'very much appreciated.
>
> If you are using Emacs 28 or newer, you should be able to make use of
> the `submit-emacs-patch' command that automates part of the patch
> process.

Good Void, I love Emacs; thanks for the tip! Worked perfectly.