* tramp failing in new build
@ 2003-04-25 19:17 Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2003-04-25 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using today's CVS build in Mac OS 10.2.5, in emacs version 23.5.50.1, I get
the following error message using tramp in a way that was working until
today (using a build from a couple of months ago):

Tramp/nil harman@arizona.princeton.edu buffer
Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey).

Message Buffer:
tramp: Opening connection for harman@arizona.princeton.edu using nil...
tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
tramp-process-actions: Login failed

While this was going on emacs froze up on me without prompting for a
password and without allowing me to type a password in.

I have no trouble connecting by using tramp in emacs version 21.1.1 from a
terminal window.

  Gil

* Re: tramp failing in new build
@ 2003-04-26  1:19 ` Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2003-04-26  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

More data: I can get tramp to work if I specify telnet:

/telnet:harman@arizona....<etc>

It does not work with ssh

/ssh:harman@arizona...

It gets confused with

/ftp:harman@arizona...

 gil

@ 2003-04-26 20:24 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-26 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gilbert Harman <harman@Princeton.EDU> writes:

> Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

Do you still have the old build around?  Did the value of
process-connection-type change?

Does Tramp start to work again if you frob the variable?

Did Tramp ever ask you to enter a password?

It would be useful to set tramp-debug-buffer to t (I think that's
the default), and tramp-verbose to 10 (that might not be the
default), and then to show me the *debug tramp/foo* buffer and also
the *tramp/foo* buffer.

Thanks.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-26 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gilbert Harman <harman@Princeton.EDU> writes:

> It gets confused with
>
> /ftp:harman@arizona...

What do you mean by `confused'?
--

@ 2003-04-29 19:51   ` Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2003-04-29 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

More data: tramp works fine for me using the CVS version from April 1.

 Gil

@ 2003-04-29 23:37     ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2003-04-29 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 4/25/03 3:17 PM, "Gilbert Harman" <harman@Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> Using today's CVS build in Mac OS 10.2.5, in emacs version 23.5.50.1,
> I get the following error message using tramp in a way that was
> working until today (using a build from a couple of months ago): [...]

Did you try what Kai suggested?  If so what are the results when you
did?  Specifically:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Do you still have the old build around?  Did the value of
> > process-connection-type change?
> >
> > Does Tramp start to work again if you frob the variable?

This is very likely the problem because from lisp/ChangeLog:

2003-04-14  Andrew Choi  <akochoi@shaw.ca>

	* term/mac-win.el: Unconditionally set process-connection-type to nil.

* Re: tramp failing in new build
@ 2003-05-01  0:06       ` Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2003-05-01  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Untitled

Thanks, I somehow missed Kai's suggestion.  Setting process-connection-type
to t corrects the problem (as of today's CVS build).

 Gil