* OS X: Modifier keys / option combinations / meta
@ 2005-05-15 19:19 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-05-15 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu, emacs-devel

Steven, Yamamoto-san, list,

I updated the mac modifier key patch to allow people to input all
sorts of characters with the Option key that they can input by
default, such as the Euro sign, the backslash or @ (on German
keyboards with A-S-7 or A-L respectively), or the pound sign £ on US
keyboards with A-3.

One can use the variable mac-pass-option-to-system to control this
behavior: If non-nil, Emacs allows the system to define the
characters and Option is not interpreted as modifier, unless another
modifier key (Ctrl or Command) is pressed along with it. This allows
me to use

(setq mac-option-modifier 'meta)

to still map Option to Meta and input keys like C-M-\ (on my US
keyboard).

As discussed earlier, we allow people to use mac-command-modifier and
mac-ctrl-modifier to assign Emacs keys to the other real keys. The
only known drawback is that you can't enter C-M-\ on a, e.g., German
keyboard, but I'm not sure if anybody would want to enter ESC S-C-A-7
instead of redefining the command. One could make the default mapping
of 'Option' to be empty for cases like these, saying that it is
always handled by the system and never assumed to be Alt, even if
other modifiers are pressed. Feedback on whether that would make
sense would be appreciated.

As in the earlier version of the patch, mac-command-key-is-meta and
mac-reverse-ctrl-meta  are declared deprecated, but work provided no
mac-*-modifier is set to non-nil. This is the default - I don't know
if this should actually be changed and if these variables can be
kicked out before the release.

Patch for download here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=138078

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-05-15 19:19 UTC | newest]