* "Org version mismatch." when building emacs
@ 2023-05-05  1:47 l@tlo
From: l@tlo @ 2023-05-05  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I just pulled the code in master, did ./autogen.sh and ./configure to be on the safe side and "make" gives me this:

org/ox-texinfo.el:33:2: Error: Org version mismatch.  Make sure that correct ‘load-path’ is set early in init.el
make[3]: *** [org/ox-texinfo.elc] Error 1
make[2]: *** [main-first] Error 2
make[1]: *** [lisp] Error 2

I read the explanations given with the error message:

> Version mismatch is commonly encountered in the following situations:
>
> 1. Emacs is loaded using literate Org config and more recent Org
>    version is loaded inside the file loaded by ‘org-babel-load-file’.
>    ‘org-babel-load-file’ triggers the built-in Org version clashing
>    the newer Org version attempt to be loaded later.
>
>    It is recommended to move the Org loading code before the
>    ‘org-babel-load-file’ call.

??? I don't use org-babel, I don't load Emacs with a literate Org config file.

> 2. New Org version is loaded manually by setting ‘load-path’, but some
>    other package depending on Org is loaded before the ‘load-path’ is
>    configured.
>    This "other package" is triggering built-in Org version, again
>    causing the version mismatch.
>
>    It is recommended to set ‘load-path’ as early in the config as
>    possible.

I only use the built-in version or Org, and I'm not sure why that matters since I'm trying to build from the source code.

> 3. New Org version is loaded using straight.el package manager and
>    other package depending on Org is loaded before straight triggers
>
>    It is recommended to put
>
>     (straight-use-package 'org)
>
>    early in the config.  Ideally, right after the straight.el
>    bootstrap.  Moving ‘use-package’ :straight declaration may not be
>    sufficient if the corresponding ‘use-package’ statement is
>    deferring the loading.

I only use the built-in version or Org, and I'm not sure why that matters since I'm trying to build from the source code.

Any idea what is happening here?

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org

* Re: "Org version mismatch." when building emacs
@ 2023-05-05  4:37 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-05-05  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"l@tlo" <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

> I just pulled the code in master, did ./autogen.sh and ./configure to
> be on the safe side and "make" gives me this:
>
> org/ox-texinfo.el:33:2: Error: Org version mismatch.  Make sure that
> correct ‘load-path’ is set early in init.el
> make[3]: *** [org/ox-texinfo.elc] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [main-first] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [lisp] Error 2

Did you read the thread under "Org mode update breaking build?" (last
two days)?

Michael.

* Re: "Org version mismatch." when building emacs
@ 2023-05-05  5:07 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-05  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: l@tlo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "l@tlo" <lists@traduction-libre.org>
> Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 10:47:40 +0900
>
> I just pulled the code in master, did ./autogen.sh and ./configure to be on the safe side and "make" gives me this:
>
> org/ox-texinfo.el:33:2: Error: Org version mismatch.  Make sure that correct ‘load-path’ is set early in init.el
> make[3]: *** [org/ox-texinfo.elc] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [main-first] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [lisp] Error 2

Delete all the *.elc files in lisp/org/ and try again.

> Any idea what is happening here?

You have stale *.elc files in the tree which still have the old
expansion of the macros that were recently changed.

* Re: "Org version mismatch." when building emacs
@ 2023-05-05  8:28   ` l@tlo
From: l@tlo @ 2023-05-05  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On May 5, 2023, at 14:07, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: "l@tlo" <lists@traduction-libre.org>
>> Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 10:47:40 +0900
>>
>> I just pulled the code in master, did ./autogen.sh and ./configure to be on the safe side and "make" gives me this:
>>
>> org/ox-texinfo.el:33:2: Error: Org version mismatch.  Make sure that correct ‘load-path’ is set early in init.el
>> make[3]: *** [org/ox-texinfo.elc] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [main-first] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [lisp] Error 2
>
> Delete all the *.elc files in lisp/org/ and try again.

It looks like it works.

Is there a reason not to indicate that as a possible fix for the issue?

>> Any idea what is happening here?
>
> You have stale *.elc files in the tree which still have the old
> expansion of the macros that were recently changed.

Why doesn't the build process get rid of such files?

--

@ 2023-05-05 10:41     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-05-05 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: l@tlo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "l@tlo" <lists@traduction-libre.org>
> Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 17:28:38 +0900
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >> org/ox-texinfo.el:33:2: Error: Org version mismatch.  Make sure that correct ‘load-path’ is set early in init.el
> >> make[3]: *** [org/ox-texinfo.elc] Error 1
> >> make[2]: *** [main-first] Error 2
> >> make[1]: *** [lisp] Error 2
> >
> > Delete all the *.elc files in lisp/org/ and try again.
>
> It looks like it works.
>
> Is there a reason not to indicate that as a possible fix for the issue?

Yes, because we fixed that in a different way.  It should not happen
again on the master branch.

> >> Any idea what is happening here?
> >
> > You have stale *.elc files in the tree which still have the old
> > expansion of the macros that were recently changed.
>
> Why doesn't the build process get rid of such files?

Because Make is not aware of Lisp macros and their expansions, and we
don't know how to teach it about them.

* Re: "Org version mismatch." when building emacs
@ 2023-05-05 10:59       ` l@tlo
From: l@tlo @ 2023-05-05 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thank you very much Eli.