* master HEAD does not compile on MacOS
@ 2022-03-25 23:01 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2022-03-25 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear all,

I tried to compile the latest version, as my current version of Emacs
does not have format-prompt which the latest ses.el on the git repo
uses, but the compilation fails on MacOS (it used to work…).

Here is what I get :

Byte counts: header=100 hot=19759604 discardable=141744 cold=12006304
Reloc counts: hot=1304723 discardable=5007
ANCIENT=yes make -C ../lisp compile-first EMACS="../src/bootstrap-emacs"
make[2]: Entering directory '/Users/vincentbelaiche/Documents/Personnel/Projects/emacs/emacs/lisp'
  ELC      emacs-lisp/bytecomp.elc
Source file `/Users/vincentbelaiche/Documents/Personnel/Projects/emacs/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el' newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file `/Users/vincentbelaiche/Documents/Personnel/Projects/emacs/emacs/lisp/progmodes/bug-reference.el' newer than byte-compiled file; using older file

In byte-compile--log-warning-for-byte-compile:
emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el:1316:1: Warning: function byte-compile--log-warning-for-byte-compile used to take 1-4 arguments, now takes 2-4
emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el:1427:1: Error: Symbol's function definition is void: byte-compile--check-arity-bytecode
make[2]: *** [Makefile:327: emacs-lisp/bytecomp.elc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/Users/vincentbelaiche/Documents/Personnel/Projects/emacs/emacs/lisp'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:924: bootstrap-emacs.pdmp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/Users/vincentbelaiche/Documents/Personnel/Projects/emacs/emacs/src'
make: *** [Makefile:469: src] Error 2

* RE: master HEAD does not compile on MacOS
@ 2022-03-25 23:02 ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2022-03-25 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Just to be more specific about what « latest » means :

bash-3.2$ git log -1
commit 413ef5a7e664d84415eae00e491e2a14a6018265 (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: Andrew G Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu>
Date:   Fri Mar 25 16:06:34 2022 +0800

    ; Restore regexp-quote for gnus subject match

    * lisp/gnus/gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-limit-include-thread): Restore
    regexp-quote that was inadvertently dropped in commit 2021-12-21 "Fix
    gnus subject matching when subject is empty".
________________________________

@ 2022-03-26  0:34 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-03-26  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: emacs-devel

Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I tried to compile the latest version, as my current version of Emacs
> does not have format-prompt which the latest ses.el on the git repo
> uses, but the compilation fails on MacOS (it used to work…).

Did you try running "make bootstrap"?

* RE: master HEAD does not compile on MacOS
@ 2022-03-26 17:49   ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2022-03-26 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Actually, I had tried that and a few other things.

But indeed the problem was that I was building Emacs from a shell
console within an older version of Emacs. I rarely rebuild Emacs (but
now I need the newest version as the latest ses.el uses function
format-prompt that was not on my older version of Emacs). So, not
rebuilding often, I had forgotten that it does not work form an Emacs
console, but it came to my mind that I had already come accross this
issue quite a while ago. FYI, what fails is the emacs dump step.

Maybe this limitation should be documented in the INSTALL.REPO file …

BTW, I boldly overwrote my older Emacs with the new one --- Banzai ! ---
and a few things are not working any longer :

1. jdee does not byte-compile any longer, here is an example:

Compiling file /Users/vincentbelaiche/Documents/Personnel/Projects/jdee/jdee-bug.el at Sat Mar 26 18:38:16 2022
Entering directory ‘/Users/vincentbelaiche/Documents/Personnel/Projects/jdee/’
jdee-bug.el:31:2: Error: Symbol’s value as variable is void: initialize-instance

It seems that there is a change in the way eieio works, probably JDEE is
outdated.

2. I was using a theme, flatland-black-theme.el, and loading it does not
   seems to have any effect --- well, I don't get a black theme.

   Vincent.

@ 2022-03-26 18:26     ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2022-03-26 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

FYI, I could build the latest Emacs from a console opened within the
latest Emacs. So it seems that the limitation I fell accross does not
exist any longer. My previous Emacs was a version 28.xxx or so …

  V.