* Is this font missing appostrophe or something else is wrong?
@ 2021-06-21 16:42 Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-06-21 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have been using Anonymous Pro for quite some time mostly because it is
programming friendly, has math symbols as well as lating and greek
symbols plus some other stuff.

Today I have noticed in info files that some characters are not rendered
properly. I haven't noticed this before, but I have rebuild Emacs from
master today.

Seems to be the '‘' character. I have attached a screenshot of how it
was rendered.

Font is OFL (open font licence) and can be seen here:
https://www.marksimonson.com/fonts/view/anonymous-pro

[-- Attachment #2: eieo-chars.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 222829 bytes --]

* Re: Is this font missing appostrophe or something else is wrong?
@ 2021-06-21 17:27 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2021-06-21 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jun 21 2021, Arthur Miller wrote:

> Seems to be the '‘' character. I have attached a screenshot of how it
> was rendered.

That looks more like an encoding problem.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: Is this font missing appostrophe or something else is wrong?
@ 2021-06-21 18:10 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-06-21 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 18:42:22 +0200
>
> I have been using Anonymous Pro for quite some time mostly because it is
> programming friendly, has math symbols as well as lating and greek
> symbols plus some other stuff.
>
> Today I have noticed in info files that some characters are not rendered
> properly. I haven't noticed this before, but I have rebuild Emacs from
> master today.
>
> Seems to be the '‘' character. I have attached a screenshot of how it
> was rendered.
>
> Font is OFL (open font licence) and can be seen here:
> https://www.marksimonson.com/fonts/view/anonymous-pro

It isn't a font problem.  This is a TTY frame, right?  If so, the font
is controlled by the terminal emulator, not by Emacs.  And the escape
sequences you see mean Emacs thinks your terminal can handle UTF-8,
but the terminal doesn't.

* Re: Is this font missing appostrophe or something else is wrong?
@ 2021-06-21 18:42   ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-06-21 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 18:42:22 +0200
>>
>> I have been using Anonymous Pro for quite some time mostly because it is
>> programming friendly, has math symbols as well as lating and greek
>> symbols plus some other stuff.
>>
>> Today I have noticed in info files that some characters are not rendered
>> properly. I haven't noticed this before, but I have rebuild Emacs from
>> master today.
>>
>> Seems to be the '‘' character. I have attached a screenshot of how it
>> was rendered.
>>
>> Font is OFL (open font licence) and can be seen here:
>> https://www.marksimonson.com/fonts/view/anonymous-pro
>
> It isn't a font problem.  This is a TTY frame, right?  If so, the font
> is controlled by the terminal emulator, not by Emacs.  And the escape
> sequences you see mean Emacs thinks your terminal can handle UTF-8,
> but the terminal doesn't.
Nope. It is a gui frame. I have compiled without Gtk support, can it be that?
But I have been doing that for a long time now and haven't noticed this.

Below are configure flags:

--with-cairo
--without-modules
--without-compress-install
--with-x-toolkit=no
--with-gnutls
--without-gconf
--without-xwidgets
--without-toolkit-scroll-bars
--without-xaw3d
--without-gsettings
--with-mailutils
--with-native-compilation
--with-json
--without-included-regex
--without-libgmp
'CFLAGS=-O3 -mtune=native -march=native'

* Re: Is this font missing appostrophe or something else is wrong?
@ 2021-06-21 18:47   ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-06-21 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> On Jun 21 2021, Arthur Miller wrote:
>
>> Seems to be the '‘' character. I have attached a screenshot of how it
>> was rendered.
>
> That looks more like an encoding problem.
>
> Andreas.

I have used same configuration for quite some time now, didn't seen that
before. Should I explicitly tell Emacs to use utf8?

With Anonymous Pro font disabled, encoding seems to work fine, '‘' is
displayed normally. Not sure which is default font, looks like a Courier
or something similar. Nothing else in the setup has changed.

Here is a new screenshot:

[-- Attachment #2: eieo-chars2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 159200 bytes --]

* Re: Is this font missing appostrophe or something else is wrong?
@ 2021-06-21 18:53     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-06-21 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 20:42:33 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >> Font is OFL (open font licence) and can be seen here:
> >> https://www.marksimonson.com/fonts/view/anonymous-pro
> >
> > It isn't a font problem.  This is a TTY frame, right?  If so, the font
> > is controlled by the terminal emulator, not by Emacs.  And the escape
> > sequences you see mean Emacs thinks your terminal can handle UTF-8,
> > but the terminal doesn't.
> Nope. It is a gui frame.

What is the value of buffer-file-coding-system?

* Re: Is this font missing appostrophe or something else is wrong?
@ 2021-06-21 18:59       ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-06-21 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 20:42:33 +0200
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> > It isn't a font problem.  This is a TTY frame, right?  If so, the font
>> > is controlled by the terminal emulator, not by Emacs.  And the escape
>> > sequences you see mean Emacs thinks your terminal can handle UTF-8,
>> > but the terminal doesn't.
>> Nope. It is a gui frame.
>
> What is the value of buffer-file-coding-system?

utf-8-unix

I also take my words back. After restarting Emacs, everything seems fine
again.

I appologize, I don't know what happened. Can it be that native compiler
was compiling something, which wasn't exactly finnished/loaded when I
first opened info? Since then it maybe finnished in the background and
when I re-checked few seconds ago it seems to work? Just a thought. I
haven't done anything, more then testing without the font, and than back
with font again, by commenting/uncommenting this in early-init.el:

                (push '(font . "Anonymous Pro-16") default-frame-alist)

Thanks for the help anyway! To both of you.