* Emacs icon file
@ 2007-11-25 22:10 Seiji Zenitani
From: Seiji Zenitani @ 2007-11-25 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Kentaro Ohkouchi

Hi,

Last summer, Mr. Ohkouchi contributed an icon file for Mac Carbon port.
His design <http://homepage.mac.com/zenitani/images/emacs-icon.png> is
an OSX-like variant of Emacs 22 icon (designed by Andrew Zhilin), and
the image file (Mac OSX ico format, 128x128) is installed to the trunk.

Recently, he also prepared png files
with different sizes from 16x16 to 512x512.
http://svn.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/CarbonEmacsIcon/trunk/app_icons/png/?root=macemacsjp
How about installing them to the emacs source tree
(emacs/etc/images/icons/), so that we have
some more choices on UNIX platforms?
Furthermore, if emacs developers
will look for a new icon again on Emacs 23,
his design may be a good candidate.

Sincerely,

Seiji Zenitani
zenitani@mac.com

P.S.
He already signed the FSF paper.

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2007-11-30  8:19 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-11-30  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seiji Zenitani; +Cc: Kentaro Ohkouchi, emacs-devel

Seiji Zenitani wrote:

> How about installing them to the emacs source tree
> (emacs/etc/images/icons/), so that we have some more choices on UNIX
> platforms?

Thank you; done.

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2007-12-03  0:19   ` Seiji Zenitani
       [not found]     ` <200801011807.m01I7ULI000621@oogie-boogie.ics.uci.edu>
From: Seiji Zenitani @ 2007-12-03  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Kentaro Ohkouchi, emacs-devel

On 2007/11/30, at 3:19, Glenn Morris wrote:

> Seiji Zenitani wrote:
>
>> How about installing them to the emacs source tree
>> (emacs/etc/images/icons/), so that we have some more choices on UNIX
>> platforms?
>
> Thank you; done.

Thank you.

Once again, if Emacs uses his icon on the other platforms,
he can also offer graphics files for them
(e.g. *.ico files for Win32 port).

IMHO, his design is so good that
I'd like to see it on various platforms.

Seiji

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2007-12-04  7:41     ` Dan Nicolaescu
       [not found]     ` <200801011807.m01I7ULI000621@oogie-boogie.ics.uci.edu>
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-12-04  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seiji Zenitani; +Cc: Glenn Morris, Kentaro Ohkouchi, emacs-devel

Seiji Zenitani <zenitani@mac.com> writes:

  > On 2007/11/30, at 3:19, Glenn Morris wrote:
  >
  > > Seiji Zenitani wrote:
  > >
  > >> How about installing them to the emacs source tree
  > >> (emacs/etc/images/icons/), so that we have some more choices on UNIX
  > >> platforms?
  > >
  > > Thank you; done.
  > >

  > Thank you.
  >
  > Once again, if Emacs uses his icon on the other platforms,
  > he can also offer graphics files for them
  > (e.g. *.ico files for Win32 port).
  >
  > IMHO, his design is so good that
  > I'd like to see it on various platforms.

IMHO emacs should use the same icon on all platforms. If this icon is
deemed better than the current one, the we should switch. Not sure who
can make this decision, probably RMS.

Also besides this icon emacs uses many other icons. Nowadays on X11 it
will try to use the standard Gtk+ icons. But those don't cover all the
emacs needs. So help improving the rest of the icons would be greatly
appreciated.

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2007-12-05  2:56       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-12-05  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: rgm, zenitani, nanasess, emacs-devel

    IMHO emacs should use the same icon on all platforms. If this icon is
    deemed better than the current one, the we should switch. Not sure who
    can make this decision, probably RMS.

I agree we should use the same icon on all platforms.
If you'd like to propose a change, would one person please email
me the proposed new icon?  Also, how do I get to see the current icon?
It never shows up on my desktop.

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2007-12-05  7:06         ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2007-12-05  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: rgm, zenitani, Dan Nicolaescu, nanasess, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman skrev:
>     IMHO emacs should use the same icon on all platforms. If this icon is
>     deemed better than the current one, the we should switch. Not sure who
>     can make this decision, probably RMS.
>
> I agree we should use the same icon on all platforms.
> If you'd like to propose a change, would one person please email
> me the proposed new icon?  Also, how do I get to see the current icon?
> It never shows up on my desktop.

It usually depends on the window manager.  Which X toolkit for Emacs and
window manager do you use?

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs icon file
       [not found]         ` <200801051006.m05A61Nj014095@oogie-boogie.ics.uci.edu>
@ 2009-07-29  0:56           ` Kentaro Ohkouchi
From: Kentaro Ohkouchi @ 2009-07-29  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu
  Cc: Akari_Uemoto, emacs-devel, Kentaro_Ohkouchi, miho_kashima,
	Takanobu_Takegami, junji_umemoto, Mai_Enso

Hi Dan,

> Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
> in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved.

It was difficult for me to improve these icons alone.
but, customer's designers consented the improvement of the icons.

they will help Emacs in the future.
If the icons with good quality is completed, they will contact emacs-devel.

Do need newer icons?

--
Kentaro Ohkouchi <nanasess@fsm.ne.jp>

2008/1/5 Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>:

>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > In response, the author Mr. Ohkouchi has revised the icon.
>  > The below tarball contains various graphics formats (incl. *.ico,
>  > *.svg).
>  > http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.jp/macemacsjp/28781/
>  > EmacsIconCollections-3.0.tar.gz
>  > For convenience, a png file is attached to this email.
>
> Thank you very much for doing this!
>
> Richard, for your convenience I attach here the emacs icon from the tar
> file mentioned above that was redesigned after your comments.
>
> Please take a look and say if you would like this icon to be the default
> icon for emacs.
>

> And also here is a "document icon". A "document icon" is used for
> example by a file manager to denote files associated with emacs.
>

> Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
> in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved. Some of the icons
> there are copied from taken from Gtk+ and GNOME, and they are old
> versions. We will update them at some point with newer versions that
> look much better. But some other icons like for example
> emacs/etc/images/gud could use some improvement. Each directory in
> emacs/etc/images has a README file that explains where the icons came
> from.
>
> Thanks
>
>        --dan

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2009-07-29  1:37             ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-07-29  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kentaro Ohkouchi
  Cc: junji_umemoto, miho_kashima, emacs-devel, Kentaro_Ohkouchi,
	Dan Nicolaescu, Takanobu_Takegami, Akari_Uemoto, Mai_Enso

Hi Mr Ohkouchi,

I looked at the png files and they look great. I like that you have
twisted the GNU horns a bit. It make them more recognizable.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Kentaro Ohkouchi<nanasess@fsm.ne.jp> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
>> Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
>> in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved.
>
> It was difficult for me to improve these icons alone.
> but, customer's designers consented the improvement of the icons.
>
> they will help Emacs in the future.
> If the icons with good quality is completed, they will contact emacs-devel.
>
> Do need newer icons?
>
> --
> Kentaro Ohkouchi <nanasess@fsm.ne.jp>
>
> 2008/1/5 Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>:
>
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  > In response, the author Mr. Ohkouchi has revised the icon.
>>  > The below tarball contains various graphics formats (incl. *.ico,
>>  > *.svg).
>>  > http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.jp/macemacsjp/28781/
>>  > EmacsIconCollections-3.0.tar.gz
>>  > For convenience, a png file is attached to this email.
>>
>> Thank you very much for doing this!
>>
>> Richard, for your convenience I attach here the emacs icon from the tar
>> file mentioned above that was redesigned after your comments.
>>
>> Please take a look and say if you would like this icon to be the default
>> icon for emacs.
>>

>> And also here is a "document icon". A "document icon" is used for
>> example by a file manager to denote files associated with emacs.
>>

>> Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
>> in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved. Some of the icons
>> there are copied from taken from Gtk+ and GNOME, and they are old
>> versions. We will update them at some point with newer versions that
>> look much better. But some other icons like for example
>> emacs/etc/images/gud could use some improvement. Each directory in
>> emacs/etc/images has a README file that explains where the icons came
>> from.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>        --dan

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2009-07-29  1:59               ` Kentaro Ohkouchi
From: Kentaro Ohkouchi @ 2009-07-29  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lennart.borgman
  Cc: junji_umemoto, miho_kashima, emacs-devel, Kentaro_Ohkouchi, dann,
	nanasess, Takanobu_Takegami, Akari_Uemoto, Mai_Enso

Hi Lennart,

Thank you!

Making the toolbar icon of a new design is tried now.
Do need newer icons?

Thanks

--
Kentaro Ohkouchi<nanasess@fsm.ne.jp>

From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Emacs icon file
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:37:07 +0200

> Hi Mr Ohkouchi,
>
> I looked at the png files and they look great. I like that you have
> twisted the GNU horns a bit. It make them more recognizable.
>

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Kentaro Ohkouchi<nanasess@fsm.ne.jp> wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>>> Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
>>> in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved.
>>
>> It was difficult for me to improve these icons alone.
>> but, customer's designers consented the improvement of the icons.
>>
>> they will help Emacs in the future.
>> If the icons with good quality is completed, they will contact emacs-devel.
>>
>> Do need newer icons?
>>
>> --
>> Kentaro Ohkouchi <nanasess@fsm.ne.jp>
>>
>> 2008/1/5 Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>:
>>
>>>  > Hi,
>>>  >
>>>  > In response, the author Mr. Ohkouchi has revised the icon.
>>>  > The below tarball contains various graphics formats (incl. *.ico,
>>>  > *.svg).
>>>  > http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.jp/macemacsjp/28781/
>>>  > EmacsIconCollections-3.0.tar.gz
>>>  > For convenience, a png file is attached to this email.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for doing this!
>>>
>>> Richard, for your convenience I attach here the emacs icon from the tar
>>> file mentioned above that was redesigned after your comments.
>>>
>>> Please take a look and say if you would like this icon to be the default
>>> icon for emacs.
>>>

>>> And also here is a "document icon". A "document icon" is used for
>>> example by a file manager to denote files associated with emacs.
>>>

>>> Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
>>> in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved. Some of the icons
>>> there are copied from taken from Gtk+ and GNOME, and they are old
>>> versions. We will update them at some point with newer versions that
>>> look much better. But some other icons like for example
>>> emacs/etc/images/gud could use some improvement. Each directory in
>>> emacs/etc/images has a README file that explains where the icons came
>>> from.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>>        --dan

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2009-07-29  2:01               ` Kentaro Ohkouchi

From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:37:07 +0200

> Hi Mr Ohkouchi,
>
> I looked at the png files and they look great. I like that you have
> twisted the GNU horns a bit. It make them more recognizable.
>

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Kentaro Ohkouchi<nanasess@fsm.ne.jp> wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>>> Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
>>> in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved.
>>
>> It was difficult for me to improve these icons alone.
>> but, customer's designers consented the improvement of the icons.
>>
>> they will help Emacs in the future.
>> If the icons with good quality is completed, they will contact emacs-devel.
>>
>> Do need newer icons?
>>
>> --
>> Kentaro Ohkouchi <nanasess@fsm.ne.jp>
>>
>> 2008/1/5 Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>:
>>
>>>  > Hi,
>>>  >
>>>  > In response, the author Mr. Ohkouchi has revised the icon.
>>>  > The below tarball contains various graphics formats (incl. *.ico,
>>>  > *.svg).
>>>  > http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.jp/macemacsjp/28781/
>>>  > EmacsIconCollections-3.0.tar.gz
>>>  > For convenience, a png file is attached to this email.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for doing this!
>>>
>>> Richard, for your convenience I attach here the emacs icon from the tar
>>> file mentioned above that was redesigned after your comments.
>>>
>>> Please take a look and say if you would like this icon to be the default
>>> icon for emacs.
>>>

>>> And also here is a "document icon". A "document icon" is used for
>>> example by a file manager to denote files associated with emacs.
>>>

>>> Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
>>> in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved. Some of the icons
>>> there are copied from taken from Gtk+ and GNOME, and they are old
>>> versions. We will update them at some point with newer versions that
>>> look much better. But some other icons like for example
>>> emacs/etc/images/gud could use some improvement. Each directory in
>>> emacs/etc/images has a README file that explains where the icons came
>>> from.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>>        --dan

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2009-07-29  6:14             ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-07-29  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, Chong Yidong
  Cc: junji_umemoto, emacs-devel, Kentaro_Ohkouchi, miho_kashima,
	Kentaro Ohkouchi, Takanobu_Takegami, Akari_Uemoto, Mai_Enso

Kentaro Ohkouchi <nanasess@fsm.ne.jp> writes:

  > Hi Dan,
  >
  > > Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
  > > in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved.
  >
  > It was difficult for me to improve these icons alone.
  > but, customer's designers consented the improvement of the icons.
  >
  > they will help Emacs in the future.
  > If the icons with good quality is completed, they will contact emacs-devel.
  >
  > Do need newer icons?

Thank you for your offer!

I think that the first step would be to talk to Stefan Monnier and Chong
Yidong, the current Emacs maintainers, and ask them what exactly needs
improvements and how to proceed.

Thanks

        --dan

  > --
  > Kentaro Ohkouchi <nanasess@fsm.ne.jp>
  >
  > 2008/1/5 Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>:
  >
  > >  > Hi,
  > >  >
  > >  > In response, the author Mr. Ohkouchi has revised the icon.
  > >  > The below tarball contains various graphics formats (incl. *.ico,
  > >  > *.svg).
  > >  > http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.jp/macemacsjp/28781/
  > >  > EmacsIconCollections-3.0.tar.gz
  > >  > For convenience, a png file is attached to this email.
  > >
  > > Thank you very much for doing this!
  > >
  > > Richard, for your convenience I attach here the emacs icon from the tar
  > > file mentioned above that was redesigned after your comments.
  > >
  > > Please take a look and say if you would like this icon to be the default
  > > icon for emacs.
  > >

  > > And also here is a "document icon". A "document icon" is used for
  > > example by a file manager to denote files associated with emacs.
  > >

  > > Mr. Ohkouchi, if you want to help Emacs even further, we have many icons
  > > in emacs/etc/images that can probably be improved. Some of the icons
  > > there are copied from taken from Gtk+ and GNOME, and they are old
  > > versions. We will update them at some point with newer versions that
  > > look much better. But some other icons like for example
  > > emacs/etc/images/gud could use some improvement. Each directory in
  > > emacs/etc/images has a README file that explains where the icons came
  > > from.
  > >
  > > Thanks
  > >
  > >        --dan

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2009-07-29  9:00               ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-07-29  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu
  Cc: Akari_Uemoto, Chong Yidong, emacs-devel, Kentaro_Ohkouchi,
	miho_kashima, Stefan Monnier, Takanobu_Takegami, junji_umemoto,
	Mai_Enso, Kentaro Ohkouchi

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>   > Do need newer icons?
>
> Thank you for your offer!
>
> I think that the first step would be to talk to Stefan Monnier and Chong
> Yidong, the current Emacs maintainers, and ask them what exactly needs
> improvements and how to proceed.

Include my icons!

-miles

--
Twice, adv. Once too often.

* Re: Emacs icon file
@ 2009-07-30  8:28                 ` Kentaro Ohkouchi
From: Kentaro Ohkouchi @ 2009-07-30  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miles
  Cc: Akari_Uemoto, miho_kashima, cyd, emacs-devel, dann, monnier,
	Takanobu_Takegami, junji_umemoto, Mai_Enso, nanasess

Hi miles,

>>   > Do need newer icons?
>>
>> Thank you for your offer!
>>
>> I think that the first step would be to talk to Stefan Monnier and Chong
>> Yidong, the current Emacs maintainers, and ask them what exactly needs
>> improvements and how to proceed.
>
> Include my icons!

There is no plan to change the tool-bar icons of Gnus now.

--
Kentaro Ohkouchi<nanasess@fsm.ne.jp>