* emacs XIM input method and locale issues
@ 2010-09-03  8:38 Shaowei Wang (wsw)
From: Shaowei Wang (wsw) @ 2010-09-03  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all
  I want to use xim program(scim) with emacs and I have some issues here.

My scim works find with gtk programs and other X programs(rxvt-unicode) but
emacs. I found the locale is the
key point.

my locale is:
[wsw@arch ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I start emacs like:
LC_ALL=en_US.utf8 emacs -Q  # The scim do *NOT* work.

LC_ALL=zh_CN.utf8 emacs -Q # OK, the scim works fine.

and I grep the emacs source tree, found nothing but:

src/emacs.c  has some functions to set LC_ALL.
=======================

I did lots of google searchs. Some guy said it is the Xorg problem and
others said it's the font (may be font path) problem.
But how do we explane that other X program works fine with scim?

* How to get SCIM working in GUI Emacs (was Re: emacs XIM input method and locale issues)
@ 2010-09-04 13:14 ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-09-04 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaowei Wang (wsw); +Cc: emacs-devel

"Shaowei Wang (wsw)" <wsw1wsw2@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>   I want to use xim program(scim) with emacs and I have some issues here.
>
> My scim works find with gtk programs and other X programs(rxvt-unicode) but
> emacs. I found the locale is the
> key point.

[...]

> I did lots of google searchs. Some guy said it is the Xorg problem and
> others said it's the font (may be font path) problem.
> But how do we explane that other X program works fine with scim?

I'll let others do the explaining, but rest assured that getting GUI
Emacs to work with SCIM or IBus is non-trivial. AFAIK you need
third-party packages for that, specifically for SCIM I used to use this
(now I'm using the IBus interface by the same author):

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ScimBridge

[Also note that this is emacs-devel; questions of this sort are better
served on help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org or other help fora.]

Štěpán

* Re: How to get SCIM working in GUI Emacs
@ 2010-09-04 14:42   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-09-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:
>> I did lots of google searchs. Some guy said it is the Xorg problem and
>> others said it's the font (may be font path) problem.
>> But how do we explane that other X program works fine with scim?
>
> I'll let others do the explaining, but rest assured that getting GUI
> Emacs to work with SCIM or IBus is non-trivial. AFAIK you need
> third-party packages for that, specifically for SCIM I used to use this

Eh?  SCIM "just works" with Emacs for me...  the only thing I changed
was the hot-key, 'cause the default (C-SPC) conflicts with Emacs.

[I do set a consistent locale outside of Emacs tho, but that's just
generally a good idea.]

-Miles

--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]

* Re: How to get SCIM working in GUI Emacs (was Re: emacs XIM input method and locale issues)
@ 2010-09-04 14:46   ` Shaowei Wang (wsw)
From: Shaowei Wang (wsw) @ 2010-09-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Štěpán Němec; +Cc: emacs-devel

I check the source and I found:
in src/xfns.c: create_frame_xic()
xic = XCreateIC (xim,
               XNInputStyle, xic_style,
               XNClientWindow, FRAME_X_WINDOW (f),
               XNFocusWindow, FRAME_X_WINDOW (f),
               XNStatusAttributes, status_attr,
               XNPreeditAttributes, preedit_attr,
               NULL);
When the locale (LC_ALL)is en_US.utf8, the return value of XCreatIC is NULL.
When set the locale to zh_CN.utf8 , the return value of XCreateIC is OK, and
SCIM or IBUS works fine.

I don't know why.

@ 2010-09-04 20:05     ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-09-04 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I did lots of google searchs. Some guy said it is the Xorg problem and
>>> others said it's the font (may be font path) problem.
>>> But how do we explane that other X program works fine with scim?
>>
>> I'll let others do the explaining, but rest assured that getting GUI
>> Emacs to work with SCIM or IBus is non-trivial. AFAIK you need
>> third-party packages for that, specifically for SCIM I used to use this
>
> Eh?  SCIM "just works" with Emacs for me...  the only thing I changed
> was the hot-key, 'cause the default (C-SPC) conflicts with Emacs.

Ooh, that's very interesting. It never worked for me and IBus doesn't
either, so after I found the Elisp packages mentioned in the other
mail, I just thought that it simply doesn't work OOTB. Nice to hear it
actually does (for someone).

> [I do set a consistent locale outside of Emacs tho, but that's just
> generally a good idea.]

So do I (or rather, Debian does, I just don't have to care), but I don't
really see why that should matter -- the basic experience is "it Just
Works in any app except for Emacs".

@ 2010-09-05  0:56       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-09-05  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:
>> Eh?  SCIM "just works" with Emacs for me...  the only thing I changed
>> was the hot-key, 'cause the default (C-SPC) conflicts with Emacs.
>
> Ooh, that's very interesting. It never worked for me and IBus doesn't
> either, so after I found the Elisp packages mentioned in the other
> mail, I just thought that it simply doesn't work OOTB. Nice to hear it
> actually does (for someone).
>
>> [I do set a consistent locale outside of Emacs tho, but that's just
>> generally a good idea.]
>
> So do I (or rather, Debian does, I just don't have to care), but I don't
> really see why that should matter -- the basic experience is "it Just
> Works in any app except for Emacs".

I did have to install the "im-switch" package in debian; SCIM didn't
work at all, for any app, before then.

Here's the output of im-switch -l in case that has some relevance:

   $ im-switch -l
   Your input method setup under ja_JP locale as below.
   The configuration "/home/miles/.xinput.d/ja_JP" is defined as a link pointing to
   scim
   This private configuration supersedes the system wide default.
   The system wide default is pointed by "/etc/alternatives/xinput-ja_JP" .
   xinput-ja_JP - auto mode
     link currently points to scim-immodule
   scim - priority 0
   scim-immodule - priority 50
   Current 'best' version is 'scim-immodule'.
   The available input method configuration files are:
   default default-xim lo-gtk none scim scim-immodule th-gtk th-xim

-Miles

--
Politics, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of
principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.