* Where did all the wellknown faces go?
@ 2010-10-18 20:34 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-10-18 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Wonders L starring at the screen.

Did anyone else see the custom faces disappear? The other
customizations are still there.

* Re: Where did all the wellknown faces go?
@ 2010-10-18 20:54 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-10-18 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Wonders L starring at the screen.
>
> Did anyone else see the custom faces disappear? The other
> customizations are still there.

Too vague.

* Re: Where did all the wellknown faces go?
@ 2010-10-18 21:08   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-10-18 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Wonders L starring at the screen.
>>
>> Did anyone else see the custom faces disappear? The other
>> customizations are still there.
>
> Too vague.

'They disappeared from my custom file. (custom-set-faces ...) was empty.

* Re: Where did all the wellknown faces go?
@ 2010-10-18 22:27     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-10-18 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Did anyone else see the custom faces disappear? The other
>>> customizations are still there.
>>
>> Too vague.
>
> 'They disappeared from my custom file. (custom-set-faces ...) was
> empty.

This is still too vague; for all we know, they disappared because you
deleted them.  Could you provide more details about what you were doing
when this happened, and can you find a reproducible recipe?

* Re: Where did all the wellknown faces go?
@ 2010-10-18 22:58       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-10-18 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:

>>> Too vague.
>>
>> 'They disappeared from my custom file. (custom-set-faces ...) was
>> empty.
>
> This is still too vague; for all we know, they disappared because you
> deleted them.  Could you provide more details about what you were doing
> when this happened, and can you find a reproducible recipe?

As far as I can remember the only thing I did was upgrading to this
version of Emacs:

  This Emacs was built from sources in bazaar identified as:

  Nick 'trunk' info:
  revision id: yamaoka@jpl.org-20101013053917-jjicdexvkun84xnq
        revno: 101947
         date: 2010-10-13 05:39:17 +0000

  Nick 'emacsw32' (from 'trunk') info:
  revision id: lennart.borgman@gmail.com-20101013135833-3r3t3cekgu5bao21
        revno: 99340
         date: 2010-10-13 15:58:33 +0200

Is there any command that I could have used (inadvertently) to delete
just the face customizations?

* Re: Where did all the wellknown faces go?
@ 2010-10-19 22:23         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-10-19 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>> This is still too vague; for all we know, they disappared because you
>> deleted them.  Could you provide more details about what you were
>> doing when this happened, and can you find a reproducible recipe?
>
> As far as I can remember the only thing I did was upgrading to this
> version of Emacs
>
> Is there any command that I could have used (inadvertently) to delete
> just the face customizations?

If you've played around with the customize-themes code, there is an
option to migrate your customizations into a theme, in which case they
are removed from your custom file.  It's unlikely you could have done
that by accident, though, and it should not be limited to faces.  I
can't think of any other recent changes that writes to custom-file.
Maybe you have some rogue user code somewhere.

* RE: Where did all the wellknown faces go?
@ 2010-10-19 22:43           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-10-19 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chong Yidong', 'Lennart Borgman'
  Cc: 'Emacs-Devel devel'

> If you've played around with the customize-themes code, there is an
> option to migrate your customizations into a theme, in which case they
> are removed from your custom file.  It's unlikely you could have done
> that by accident, though, and it should not be limited to faces.  I
> can't think of any other recent changes that writes to custom-file.
> Maybe you have some rogue user code somewhere.

Caveat: I have not been following this thread at all. If my questions seem
irrelevant, please ignore.

Moving stuff out of the `custom-file' or init file to a theme sounds risky.  I
understand that you stated that it's an option.  Still...

Do we take care to restore the original files if something goes wrong during the
move?  After everything is moved successfully, do we give the user a command to
get back the original `custom-file' or init file?  Is there a command that
migrates (or copies) all settings of a given custom theme to the user's
`custom-file' or init file?

* Re: Where did all the wellknown faces go?
@ 2010-10-19 22:54           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-10-19 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> This is still too vague; for all we know, they disappared because you
>>> deleted them.  Could you provide more details about what you were
>>> doing when this happened, and can you find a reproducible recipe?
>>
>> As far as I can remember the only thing I did was upgrading to this
>> version of Emacs
>>
>> Is there any command that I could have used (inadvertently) to delete
>> just the face customizations?
>
> If you've played around with the customize-themes code, there is an
> option to migrate your customizations into a theme, in which case they
> are removed from your custom file.  It's unlikely you could have done
> that by accident, though, and it should not be limited to faces.  I
> can't think of any other recent changes that writes to custom-file.
> Maybe you have some rogue user code somewhere.

No, I did not do that. I have actually no idea of why this happened -
but it happened to me twice now (and once on another pc). Now I have
done a new checkout and will see what will happen.

* Re: Where did all the wellknown faces go?
@ 2010-10-20 15:49           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-10-20 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, Emacs-Devel devel

>>> This is still too vague; for all we know, they disappared because you
>>> deleted them.  Could you provide more details about what you were
>>> doing when this happened, and can you find a reproducible recipe?
>>
>> As far as I can remember the only thing I did was upgrading to this
>> version of Emacs
>>
>> Is there any command that I could have used (inadvertently) to delete
>> just the face customizations?

> If you've played around with the customize-themes code, there is an
> option to migrate your customizations into a theme, in which case they
> are removed from your custom file.

Could we keep this new theme in the custom-file?