* Suggestion for epa-mail-mode
@ 2010-07-26  2:53 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-07-26  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Daiki Ueno

epa-mail.el defines these keys:

    (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ed" 'epa-mail-decrypt)
    (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ev" 'epa-mail-verify)
    (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-es" 'epa-mail-sign)
    (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ee" 'epa-mail-encrypt)
    (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ei" 'epa-mail-import-keys)
    (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-eo" 'epa-insert-keys)

I suggest also defining C-c C-c C-d, etc,
because a sequence of all control chars is easier to type.

Is there any overall documentation of epa mode?
I want to try it, but I can't see how to use it.

* Re: Suggestion for epa-mail-mode
@ 2010-07-26  3:26 ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2010-07-26  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> epa-mail.el defines these keys:
>
>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ed" 'epa-mail-decrypt)
>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ev" 'epa-mail-verify)
>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-es" 'epa-mail-sign)
>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ee" 'epa-mail-encrypt)
>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ei" 'epa-mail-import-keys)
>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-eo" 'epa-insert-keys)
>
> I suggest also defining C-c C-c C-d, etc,
> because a sequence of all control chars is easier to type.

Since C-c C-c is currently bound to mail-send-and-exit, using C-c C-c as
prefix will be a significant change.  Do you have any other key
sequences in mind?

> Is there any overall documentation of epa mode?
> I want to try it, but I can't see how to use it.

See "(epa) Top" for epa-mode and "(epa) Mail-mode integration" for
epa-mail-mode.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Suggestion for epa-mail-mode
@ 2010-07-26  4:27   ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2010-07-26  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ueno; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>> epa-mail.el defines these keys:
>>
>>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ed" 'epa-mail-decrypt)
>>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ev" 'epa-mail-verify)
>>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-es" 'epa-mail-sign)
>>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ee" 'epa-mail-encrypt)
>>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-ei" 'epa-mail-import-keys)
>>     (define-key keymap "\C-c\C-eo" 'epa-insert-keys)
>>
>> I suggest also defining C-c C-c C-d, etc,
>> because a sequence of all control chars is easier to type.
>
> Since C-c C-c is currently bound to mail-send-and-exit, using C-c
> C-c as prefix will be a significant change.  Do you have any other
> key sequences in mind?

I suspect this is a typo on Richard's side.  He probably meant `C-c
C-e C-d', `C-c C-e C-v', etc.

    Werner

* Re: Suggestion for epa-mail-mode
@ 2010-07-26  5:27     ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2010-07-26  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>> Since C-c C-c is currently bound to mail-send-and-exit, using C-c
>> C-c as prefix will be a significant change.  Do you have any other
>> key sequences in mind?
>
> I suspect this is a typo on Richard's side.  He probably meant `C-c
> C-e C-d', `C-c C-e C-v', etc.

Aha, I see.  Thanks.  Done as r100904.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Suggestion for epa-mail-mode
@ 2010-07-26 11:55       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-07-26 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On 2010-07-26 06:27 +0100, Daiki Ueno wrote:
> Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> Since C-c C-c is currently bound to mail-send-and-exit, using C-c
>>> C-c as prefix will be a significant change.  Do you have any other
>>> key sequences in mind?
>>
>> I suspect this is a typo on Richard's side.  He probably meant `C-c
>> C-e C-d', `C-c C-e C-v', etc.
>
> Aha, I see.  Thanks.  Done as r100904.

I wonder if we should also make pgg obsolete. When I raised this issue
over two years ago, this was the agreed plan. As far as I know, there's
only one file in Emacs that uses pgg -- allout.el. Its author said he
would find time to change to epg but nothing seems to have happened in
the past few years.

> Regards,

Regards,

Leo

* Re: Suggestion for epa-mail-mode
@ 2010-07-26 15:12         ` ken manheimer
From: ken manheimer @ 2010-07-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: Daiki Ueno, rms, emacs-devel

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I suspect this is a typo on Richard's side.  He probably meant `C-c
> >> C-e C-d', `C-c C-e C-v', etc.
> >
> > Aha, I see.  Thanks.  Done as r100904.
>
> I wonder if we should also make pgg obsolete. When I raised this issue
> over two years ago, this was the agreed plan. As far as I know, there's
> only one file in Emacs that uses pgg -- allout.el. Its author said he
> would find time to change to epg but nothing seems to have happened in
> the past few years.

i've looked at migrating from pgg to epg, but there are some
intricacies and i hadn't found the time.  i'll have an opportunity to
look at it again over the next month, and will try to make the
migration.

i also have a few change pending release (including making C-h as the
terminal part of an allout keybinding optional - default off), and
have to look at converting allout to use define-minor-mode. there's
another place where the intricacies i put into the allout minor mode
implementation are getting in the way, but i guess they warrant
clean-up.

i'll be working on it all in a few weeks, with priority on the pgg ->
epg migration.

--
ken
http://myriadicity.net

(ps - i don't keep up with emacs-devel, but do have an arrangement so
i'm alerted when allout is mentioned.)

* Re: Suggestion for epa-mail-mode
@ 2010-07-27 16:57 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-07-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: ueno, emacs-devel

    I suggest also defining C-c C-c C-d, etc,

As people guessed, I meant C-c C-e C-d, etc.

* Re: Suggestion for epa-mail-mode
@ 2010-12-20 22:22           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-12-20 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ken manheimer; +Cc: Daiki Ueno, rms, emacs-devel

Hello Ken,

On 2010-07-26 16:12 +0100, ken manheimer wrote:
> I'LL be working on it all in a few weeks, with priority on the pgg ->
> epg migration.

Thank you for fixing allout.el for epg ;)

Kind regards,
Leo

* Re: Suggestion for epa-mail-mode
@ 2010-12-20 22:52             ` ken manheimer
From: ken manheimer @ 2010-12-20 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: Daiki Ueno, rms, emacs-devel

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Ken,
>
> On 2010-07-26 16:12 +0100, ken manheimer wrote:
> > I'LL be working on it all in a few weeks, with priority on the pgg ->
> > epg migration.
>
> Thank you for fixing allout.el for epg ;)

thanks, leo.  i'm genuinely sorry it took so long.

in fact, there were some substantial features i had to trade-off in
the transition.  allout is more cumbersome and error-prone for dealing
with symmetric encodings for numerous encrypted entries in a file,
because i had to let go of encryption passphrase validation and
hinting.  that comes in exchange for significantly less insecurity due
to no handling of passphrases in emacs code.  instead, as always when
using epg with GnuPG version 2, all passphrase handling is outside of
emacs, in gnupg's gpg, gpg-agent, and pinentry, which i expect are
drastically less vulnerable.

it is for that reason that i was ultimately willing to forego those
features, though i wish i could have more control without greater
vulnerability...

ken

@ 2010-12-22  5:39               ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-12-22  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ken manheimer; +Cc: Daiki Ueno, rms, emacs-devel

On 2010-12-20 22:52 +0000, ken manheimer wrote:
> thanks, leo. i'm genuinely sorry it took so long.

Is it? The key is it is done ;)

> in fact, there were some substantial features i had to trade-off in
> the transition. allout is more cumbersome and error-prone for dealing
> with symmetric encodings for numerous encrypted entries in a file,
> because i had to let go of encryption passphrase validation and
> hinting. that comes in exchange for significantly less insecurity due
> to no handling of passphrases in emacs code. instead, as always when
> using epg with GnuPG version 2, all passphrase handling is outside of
> emacs, in gnupg's gpg, gpg-agent, and pinentry, which i expect are
> drastically less vulnerable.
>
> it is for that reason that i was ultimately willing to forego those
> features, though i wish i could have more control without greater
> vulnerability...

Many thanks for the hard work. That looks like good compromise.

> ken

Best,
Leo