* Gtk-Emacs on OS-X and W32/64?
@ 2012-06-12 11:26 joakim
From: joakim @ 2012-06-12 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

Is it possible to compile Emacs so that it uses GTK on other platforms
than GNU/Linux?

I ask because I would like to test the emacs xwidgets branch on these
platforms.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Gtk-Emacs on OS-X and W32/64?
@ 2012-06-12 13:15 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-06-12 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Is it possible to compile Emacs so that it uses GTK on other platforms
> than GNU/Linux?

It can probably be done under Mac OS X.  I don't think you can make an X11
build under Windows, OTOH.

> I ask because I would like to test the emacs xwidgets branch on these
> platforms.

Of course, you could also try it in a GNU/Linux VM.

* Re: Gtk-Emacs on OS-X and W32/64?
@ 2012-06-12 14:14 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2012-06-12 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim@verona.se; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Hello.

I assume you want Gtk with a backend which is not X11?

This is not possible as the event handling for Gtk in Emacs is the X11 event code.

    Jan D.

12 jun 2012 kl. 13:26 skrev joakim@verona.se:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to compile Emacs so that it uses GTK on other platforms
> than GNU/Linux?
>
> I ask because I would like to test the emacs xwidgets branch on these
> platforms.
>

> --
> Joakim Verona

* Re: Gtk-Emacs on OS-X and W32/64?
@ 2012-06-12 14:42   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2012-06-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Is it possible to compile Emacs so that it uses GTK on other platforms
>> than GNU/Linux?
>
> It can probably be done under Mac OS X.  I don't think you can make an X11
> build under Windows, OTOH.

Okay, I can try an X build on OS X then.

>> I ask because I would like to test the emacs xwidgets branch on these
>> platforms.
>
> Of course, you could also try it in a GNU/Linux VM.

You mean OS-X and Windows in virtual machines? Yes that's what I
intended to do.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Gtk-Emacs on OS-X and W32/64?
@ 2012-06-12 14:44   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2012-06-12 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I assume you want Gtk with a backend which is not X11?
>
> This is not possible as the event handling for Gtk in Emacs is the X11 event code.

Okay, so the event handling code would then need to somehow be ported to
a gtk event loop, which I presume is a massive undertaking.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Gtk-Emacs on OS-X and W32/64?
@ 2012-06-12 15:54     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2012-06-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Hello.

12 jun 2012 kl. 16:44 skrev joakim@verona.se:

> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I assume you want Gtk with a backend which is not X11?
>>
>> This is not possible as the event handling for Gtk in Emacs is the X11 event code.
>
> Okay, so the event handling code would then need to somehow be ported to
> a gtk event loop, which I presume is a massive undertaking.

"Massive" is an overstatement, it has at some point in time been made for the NS and w32-port, so it is not unheard of.

I suspect it will have to be made sometime in the future, as we employ some (either already, or soon to be unsupported) tricks to make it work.

	Jan D.