* Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?
@ 2021-12-21 20:32 Vitaly Ankh
From: Vitaly Ankh @ 2021-12-21 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: theo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Why sourcehut? I believe GitLab is more feature rich, more familiar to many developers and also open source.

I know GNU has a self-host GitLab instance, but only for CI. Why not migrate to self-host GitLab fully?

Regards,
VitalyR

* Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?
@ 2021-12-21 21:09 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-12-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Ankh, theo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Vitaly Ankh <vitalyankh@gmail.com> writes:

> Why sourcehut? I believe GitLab is more feature rich, more familiar to
> many developers and also open source.

I recommend searching the archives for a more detailed answer, but you
could start by reading:

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/28152

* Please stop this (was: Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?)
@ 2021-12-22  1:02   ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-12-22  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Vitaly Ankh, theo, emacs-devel

> I recommend searching the archives for a more detailed answer, but you
> could start by reading:

Please excuse the potentially out of context interjection.

I hope people will take a break before making further posts about this
topic, at least until April next year, when half a year will have passed
since the last thread about this, and take time to review that
aformentioned thread.

Nothing has changed since then, so unless you've already done the work
required, please don't post replies like this.  It only serves to
increase the noise-to-signal ratio of the list.

Thanks.

* Re: Please stop this
@ 2021-12-22  1:34     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-12-22  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Vitaly Ankh, theo, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I recommend searching the archives for a more detailed answer, but you
>> could start by reading:
>
> Please excuse the potentially out of context interjection.
>
> I hope people will take a break before making further posts about this
> topic, at least until April next year, when half a year will have passed
> since the last thread about this, and take time to review that
> aformentioned thread.
>
> Nothing has changed since then, so unless you've already done the work
> required, please don't post replies like this.  It only serves to
                                           ^^^^
> increase the noise-to-signal ratio of the list.
>
> Thanks.

By "this", I meant this topic, not Stefan K's reply to it.

* Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?
@ 2021-12-22  4:16 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-12-22  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Ankh; +Cc: theo, emacs-devel

  > Why sourcehut? I believe GitLab is more feature rich, more
  > familiar to many developers and also open source.

We do not advocate "open source" -- that's why we never use that term.
We champion the free software movement, which is a campaign for
freedom for all users of software.  For explanation of the difference,
https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

That's particularly relevant to the choice of repo site, because our
criteria for evaluating repo sites include how much the site helps
and supports good free software practices.

See https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html.

* Re: Please stop this (was: Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?)
@ 2021-12-22  5:07     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-12-22  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Vitaly Ankh, theo, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I hope people will take a break before making further posts about this
> topic, at least until April next year,

That will not happen, as I'm sure you must understand.  It would be
completely counter-productive, and only serve to harm and obstruct
important ongoing work.

Moreover, I don't understand how Emacs would ever be successful if the
reply to volunteers coming here hoping to help should be "we discussed
this N months ago, go away".  Luckily, our policy is not that, but to
encourage and help them contribute in the most useful way.

> Nothing has changed since then, so unless you've already done the work
> required, please don't post replies like this.

Yes, something very significant has changed.  Two people have now agreed
to start working on this.

If you don't want to see this topic may I recommend using an email
client that allows you to filter threads you are not interested in?
Gnus is an excellent choice, or you could use procmail.

* Re: Please stop this
@ 2021-12-22  5:30       ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-12-22  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Vitaly Ankh, theo, emacs-devel

> That will not happen, as I'm sure you must understand.  It would be
> completely counter-productive, and only serve to harm and obstruct
> important ongoing work.
>
> Moreover, I don't understand how Emacs would ever be successful if the
> reply to volunteers coming here hoping to help should be "we discussed
> this N months ago, go away".  Luckily, our policy is not that, but to
> encourage and help them contribute in the most useful way.

AFAICS, discussions about this topic tend to turn into a big runaway
flamefest, usually starting from simple questions such as "what's
missing".  This happens every single time someone posts something like
this and the amount of information gets repeated is frightening, so I
hope these discussions will crop up less often than every two or so
months.  Not that I'm opposed to healthy discussion, but the usual
result of this topic is not that.

Just my two cents though, so feel free to disregard that.

> Yes, something very significant has changed.  Two people have now agreed
> to start working on this.

Good to hear.

> If you don't want to see this topic may I recommend using an email
> client that allows you to filter threads you are not interested in?

I already have such topics split to a separate group in Gnus, but
unfortunately the subject line regexp didn't match on "SourceHut", like
last time when it only matched on "migrate" and not "migration".

Thanks.

* Re: Please stop this
@ 2021-12-22  6:36         ` Theodor Thornhill
From: Theodor Thornhill @ 2021-12-22  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu, Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Vitaly Ankh, emacs-devel

On 22 December 2021 06:30:30 CET, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> That will not happen, as I'm sure you must understand.  It would be
>> completely counter-productive, and only serve to harm and obstruct
>> important ongoing work.
>>
>> Moreover, I don't understand how Emacs would ever be successful if the
>> reply to volunteers coming here hoping to help should be "we discussed
>> this N months ago, go away".  Luckily, our policy is not that, but to
>> encourage and help them contribute in the most useful way.
>
>AFAICS, discussions about this topic tend to turn into a big runaway
>flamefest, usually starting from simple questions such as "what's
>missing".  This happens every single time someone posts something like
>this and the amount of information gets repeated is frightening, so I
>hope these discussions will crop up less often than every two or so
>months.  Not that I'm opposed to healthy discussion, but the usual
>result of this topic is not that.
>
>Just my two cents though, so feel free to disregard that.
>
>> Yes, something very significant has changed.  Two people have now agreed
>> to start working on this.
>
>Good to hear.
>
>> If you don't want to see this topic may I recommend using an email
>> client that allows you to filter threads you are not interested in?
>
>I already have such topics split to a separate group in Gnus, but
>unfortunately the subject line regexp didn't match on "SourceHut", like
>last time when it only matched on "migrate" and not "migration".
>
>Thanks.

Well, apologies if you feel I waste your time. I have no interest in participating in such a "flame fest", as I feel I have not done before.

Theo

* Re: Please stop this
@ 2021-12-22  6:57           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-12-22  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill; +Cc: Stefan Kangas, Vitaly Ankh, emacs-devel

Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:

> On 22 December 2021 06:30:30 CET, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, apologies if you feel I waste your time. I have no interest in
> participating in such a "flame fest", as I feel I have not done
> before.

No, I didn't mean that you were wasting time -- I meant to say that the
topic itself tends to result in long and repetitive threads that never
seem to get anything done, so IMHO it's not worth bringing up at this
point.

Thanks.

* Re: Please stop this
@ 2021-12-22  7:05             ` Theodor Thornhill
From: Theodor Thornhill @ 2021-12-22  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Stefan Kangas, Vitaly Ankh, emacs-devel

On 22 December 2021 07:57:35 CET, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> writes:
>
>> On 22 December 2021 06:30:30 CET, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, apologies if you feel I waste your time. I have no interest in
>> participating in such a "flame fest", as I feel I have not done
>> before.
>
>No, I didn't mean that you were wasting time -- I meant to say that the
>topic itself tends to result in long and repetitive threads that never
>seem to get anything done, so IMHO it's not worth bringing up at this
>point.

I agree, that is why I started this thread by concretely proposing to assemble a list, or at least reaching some tactile result quickly.

Now there at least is a dedicated user for emacs over at srht. I'll look into converting some issues from debbugs as well. Then most of the workflow is represented. I invite you to take a look.

Thanks