* eintr.texi vs emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@ 2019-12-30 12:42 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-12-30 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

The gnu site has this link for the "An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp" source download:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/texi/eintr.texi.tar.gz

from

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/eintr.html

But the Savannah repository has the following file:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi

emacs.texi and ack.texi also still refer to eintr.

The HTML version of the Emacs manual has a link to "eintr.html" when the HTML file created by the "make docs" is emacs-lisp-intro.html

It seems to me that there is an issue here...

Also, what is the build process that creates the gnu site ? How do they get all the fancy pages like this one:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html

Is ti possible to reproduce locally ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: eintr.texi vs emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@ 2019-12-30 13:10 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-12-30 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Jean-Christophe Helary, Emacs developers

On December 30, 2019 2:42:36 PM GMT+02:00, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
> The gnu site has this link for the "An Introduction to Programming in
> Emacs Lisp" source download:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/texi/eintr.texi.tar.gz
>
> from
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/eintr.html
>
> But the Savannah repository has the following file:
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi

The  tar.gz file offered for download is just the contents of the doc/lispintro directory of the Emacs repository.  If you look inside the tarball, you will see the same emacs-lisp-intro.texi file there.

> emacs.texi and ack.texi also still refer to eintr.

The Info file produced from the Introduction is called eintr.info, and cross-references must use the actual name of the Info file.  So this is expected and perfectly OK.

> The HTML version of the Emacs manual has a link to "eintr.html" when
> the HTML file created by the "make docs" is emacs-lisp-intro.html
>

> It seems to me that there is an issue here...

Which of the above issues did you allude to?

* Re: eintr.texi vs emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@ 2019-12-30 13:22   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-12-30 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> On 2019/12/30, at 22:10, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> On December 30, 2019 2:42:36 PM GMT+02:00, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
>> The gnu site has this link for the "An Introduction to Programming in
>> Emacs Lisp" source download:
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/texi/eintr.texi.tar.gz
>>
>> from
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/eintr.html
>>
>> But the Savannah repository has the following file:
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
>
> The  tar.gz file offered for download is just the contents of the doc/lispintro directory of the Emacs repository.  If you look inside the tarball, you will see the same emacs-lisp-intro.texi file there.

Thank you for clarifying. I should have checked myself.

>> emacs.texi and ack.texi also still refer to eintr.
>
> The Info file produced from the Introduction is called eintr.info, and cross-references must use the actual name of the Info file.  So this is expected and perfectly OK.

Ok.

>> The HTML version of the Emacs manual has a link to "eintr.html" when
>> the HTML file created by the "make docs" is emacs-lisp-intro.html
>>

>> It seems to me that there is an issue here...
>
> Which of the above issues did you allude to?

The one concerning the html version.

@ 2019-12-30 15:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-12-30 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
> Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 22:22:35 +0900
>
> >> The HTML version of the Emacs manual has a link to "eintr.html" when
> >> the HTML file created by the "make docs" is emacs-lisp-intro.html
> >>

> >> It seems to me that there is an issue here...
> >
> > Which of the above issues did you allude to?
>
> The one concerning the html version.

Please file a bug report about that, and thanks for noticing this
discrepancy.

* Re: eintr.texi vs emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@ 2019-12-30 16:05       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-12-30 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> On Dec 31, 2019, at 0:33, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
>> Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 22:22:35 +0900

>>> Which of the above issues did you allude to?
>>
>> The one concerning the html version.
>
> Please file a bug report about that, and thanks for noticing this
> discrepancy.

Done !

JC