* doctor.el and // and $
@ 2002-09-04 15:58 D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-04 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

doctor.el follows its namespace nicely, except that it defines // and
$.  It seems to me that given how infrequently doctor.el is used, it
should not take up such "small" , otherwise convenient symbols.  In
fact, the way i discovered it was when my own // and $ got overwritten
by doctor.el...

if folks agree i will gladly submit a patch.. :)

BTW, how does one "normally" get to see doctor-rms etc. in action?
(other than typing M-: (doctor-rms) ?

DG                                 http://24.197.159.102/~deego/
--
RIAA logic applied to cars--->
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2002/08/ride_sharing.html

* Re: doctor.el and // and $
@ 2002-09-05  3:07 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2002-09-05  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> doctor.el follows its namespace nicely, except that it defines // and
> $.  It seems to me that given how infrequently doctor.el is used, it
> should not take up such "small" , otherwise convenient symbols.  In
> fact, the way i discovered it was when my own // and $ got overwritten
> by doctor.el...
>
> if folks agree i will gladly submit a patch.. :)

It sounds a good idea.  You could use `identity' instead of `//'.
`doctor-cadr' and `doctor-cddr' are no longer necessary, too.

--
John Paul Wallington

* Re: doctor.el and // and $
@ 2002-09-05 18:02 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-09-05 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    doctor.el follows its namespace nicely, except that it defines // and
    $.  It seems to me that given how infrequently doctor.el is used, it
    should not take up such "small" , otherwise convenient symbols.  In
    fact, the way i discovered it was when my own // and $ got overwritten
    by doctor.el...

    if folks agree i will gladly submit a patch.. :)

In principle, this is right--but I am afraid it will make the doctor
code a lot harder to read.  Perhaps let's use doc// and doc$.

    BTW, how does one "normally" get to see doctor-rms etc. in action?
    (other than typing M-: (doctor-rms) ?

I don't know how the program works.  Does anyone here know?

* Re: doctor.el and // and $
@ 2002-09-05 18:45   ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

thanks to RMS and John for the replies.

> In principle, this is right--but I am afraid it will make the doctor
> code a lot harder to read.

i was worried about that too, .. that's a cool way out -->

> Perhaps let's use doc// and doc$.

I am testing out the new doctor.el and will submit the changelog/patch
after testing.

DG                                 http://24.197.159.102/~deego/
--

@ 2002-09-06  0:33   ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2002-09-06  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     BTW, how does one "normally" get to see doctor-rms etc. in action?
>     (other than typing M-: (doctor-rms) ?
> I don't know how the program works.  Does anyone here know?

One would think that all one has to do is M-x doctor RET
and mention anything with the keywords "rms" or "stallman" in it.
For example:

"Can we talk about Stallman?"

"Do you know Stallman?"

Then it proceeds to talk about Stallman-related topics. I feel that
stallmanlst is rather small, though. ;) All it has is

(($ describe) your ($ feelings-about) him \.)
(($ areyou) a friend of Stallman \?)
(($ bother) Stallman is ($ random-adjective) \?)
(($ ibelieve) you are ($ afraidof) him \.)

Maybe "linux" without "gnu" should also bring up doctor-rms, and
stallmanlst should also have entries about free software and open
source software...

You could even have it hunt through your packages for nonfree
stuff and ask

(($ bother) you have non-free software on your system?)

and things like that. ;) Or it would check your fstab, partition
table, lilo.conf or boot.lst, figure out that you're dualbooting
Microsoft Windows, and say something about that too.. <grin>

It's all good, right? =) Sorry, couldn't resist.
--
Sacha Chua <sacha@free.net.ph> - 4 BS CS Ateneo geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, wearables, teaching compsci

* Re: doctor.el and // and $
@ 2002-09-06 20:02     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-09-06 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Maybe "linux" without "gnu" should also bring up doctor-rms, and
    stallmanlst should also have entries about free software and open
    source software...

It would be good to add something for "linux" without "gnu", but the
response need not refer to me personally.

    You could even have it hunt through your packages for nonfree
    stuff and ask

    (($ bother) you have non-free software on your system?)

That would be fun.

* Re: doctor.el and // and $
@ 2002-09-09 17:07     ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-09 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"D. Goel" <deego@glue.umd.edu> writes:
> i was worried about that too, .. that's a cool way out -->
>
> > Perhaps let's use doc// and doc$.

i submitted a 400-line patch to emacs-pretest-bug making the above
changes a few days ago.

Today's checkout --> there are several changes to doctor.el but not
that patch yet.

In light of these new changes, do i need to submit a new patch on the
latest cvs?

and will it get installed? :-)