* Re: FAQ: gnuplot vs. emacs' compile command
       [not found]   ` <87addrv76t.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2004-02-12 14:43     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-02-12 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dan Jacobson, arafune

Did anyone actually look at this bug back in May ?
FYI, I have included the text at the referenced link here.

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:

> Fellas, the gnuplot team may have found ugly emacs process bugs, see
> <...>

: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
:
: > Using emacs -eval '(compile "make")'
: > With: echo "plot 'file';pause -1"|gnuplot -persist
: > just flashes the graph for a split second.
:
: So let's get into dissecting this further.  The first candidate to
: remove is 'make'.  It doesn't really do anything useful in this whole
: setup, so we might as well get rid of it.  Let's replace it by a shell
: script doing the same things.  And while at it, let's get rid of the
: separate data file, too:
:
: --- gpaction ---
: gnuplot -persist <<EOS
:  plot '-'
:    1 1
:    2 2
:   e
: EOS
: ---- end ---
:
: sh gpaction                                 # does the plot and returns
: emacs -eval '(compile "sh gpaction")'       # doesn't plot, but returns
: emacs -eval '(shell-command "sh gpaction")' # plot, but no return
:
: For the latter, emacs is unresponsive --- it's obviously waiting for
: something to happen, which doesn't.  Only after you terminate the
: gnuplot graph window (key 'q' into it), or press Ctrl-G in emacs to
: forcibly break out of the wait loop, it will continue.
:
: During that pause, look at the output from 'ps jx' and you'll find
: that gnuplot_x11 is an orphan --- i.e. it's the only surviving process
: in its process group.  In "shell-command", emacs apparently doesn't
: kill it, whereas in "compile", it probably does.
: --
: Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de)
: Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk

* Re: FAQ: gnuplot vs. emacs' compile command
@ 2004-02-12 19:34       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-02-12 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dan Jacobson, arafune, emacs-devel

> Did anyone actually look at this bug back in May ?
> FYI, I have included the text at the referenced link here.

What is the bug exactly?
My understanding is of the problem:
when Emacs exits, gnuplot is killed because its stdout is connected to
Emacs (i.e. it receives a SIGPIPE or SIGHUP or somesuch).

        Stefan

@ 2004-02-12 22:47         ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-02-12 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: arafune, Dan Jacobson, emacs-devel

> > Did anyone actually look at this bug back in May ?
> > FYI, I have included the text at the referenced link here.
>
> What is the bug exactly?

I don't know.  Dan, can you elaborate?

> My understanding is of the problem:
> when Emacs exits, gnuplot is killed because its stdout is connected to
> Emacs (i.e. it receives a SIGPIPE or SIGHUP or somesuch).

.. which emacs cannot do anything about.

@ 2004-02-13  0:05           ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2004-02-13  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recall the gnuplot author had a lot of response.
I am only good at finding bugs, not following up.
If next time I run into a bug, you'll be sure to hear from me.