* GNU ELPA package proposal: visual-fill-column
@ 2021-10-26  8:38 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-10-26  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi list,

Philip Kaludercic asked me if I would be interested in adding my package
`visual-fill-column` to GNU ELPA.[1] While I'm still a bit hazy on the details
(though I'm sure it will all clear itself up it due time), I do know the process
starts with a copyright assignment. I haven't done that yet, so my first
question is: how do I do that?

Another question that occurred to me: the package is currently available on
Melpa. I know there are packages that exist both on MELPA and on GNU ELPA, but
for `visual-fill-column`, that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. If the
package is added to GNU ELPA and removed from MELPA, would that cause any
inconvenience for existing users? Would `package.el` be smart enough to update
existing users to the GNU ELPA version, once a new version is published there?
Or would it be better to keep the MELPA version to avoid any disruptions?

TIA,

Joost

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/joostkremers/visual-fill-column/issues/52