* Re: master 956f21b: Make xwidget-webkit default to not storing cookies
       [not found] ` <20211120003848.A6F90209FD@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-11-20  3:55   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-11-20  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu, emacs-devel

oldosfan@savannah.gnu.org (Po Lu) writes:

> branch: master
> commit 956f21b6b916f8d87a7b872e02f668883c17b8ba
> Author: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Commit: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
>
>     Make xwidget-webkit default to not storing cookies
>
>     * etc/NEWS: Update to reflect change.
>     * lisp/xwidget.el (xwidget-webkit-cookie-file): Set default
>     value to nil.

I would prefer having one option for enabling cookies, and a separate
option that gives the location of the cookie file.

Once we start using more sophisticated locations for such files
(e.g. the XDG ones, or even special ones on macOS), it will be tricky
for users to enter the correct location (in a platform independent way,
etc.), so better provide a good default and let users just flip a switch
to enable cookies and have mundane things like file locations work
automatically.

* Re: master 956f21b: Make xwidget-webkit default to not storing cookies
@ 2021-11-20  4:35     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-11-20  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Po Lu, emacs-devel

> Once we start using more sophisticated locations for such files
> (e.g. the XDG ones, or even special ones on macOS), it will be tricky
> for users to enter the correct location (in a platform independent way,
> etc.), so better provide a good default and let users just flip a switch
> to enable cookies and have mundane things like file locations work
> automatically.

WebKit (not only the GTK port, but other ports, such as WKWebView on
macOS as well) doesn't expose an API to disable cookies, or provide a
default place to store cookies.  The application is always expected to
determine the location itself.  (It defaults to being disabled, but once
the location is set in a given WebKitWebView, you can't turn it off
again.)

However, we could make custom.el suggest suitable file locations for
this type of option.  I'm not exactly sure how this would work, but it
ought to be possible.

Thanks.

* Re: master 956f21b: Make xwidget-webkit default to not storing cookies
@ 2021-11-20  4:58       ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-11-20  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> WebKit (not only the GTK port, but other ports, such as WKWebView on
> macOS as well) doesn't expose an API to disable cookies, or provide a
> default place to store cookies.  The application is always expected to
> determine the location itself.  (It defaults to being disabled, but once
> the location is set in a given WebKitWebView, you can't turn it off
> again.)

Wouldn't it just be a matter of documenting that disabling
`xwidget-cookies-enable' only takes effect in newly created webkit
widget (or whatever the terminology is), and that if users need to
disable them they need to somehow restart previously started widgets?

> However, we could make custom.el suggest suitable file locations for
> this type of option.  I'm not exactly sure how this would work, but it
> ought to be possible.

That would also be nice, I think.

* Re: master 956f21b: Make xwidget-webkit default to not storing cookies
@ 2021-11-20  5:11         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-11-20  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> WebKit (not only the GTK port, but other ports, such as WKWebView on
>> macOS as well) doesn't expose an API to disable cookies, or provide a
>> default place to store cookies.  The application is always expected to
>> determine the location itself.  (It defaults to being disabled, but once
>> the location is set in a given WebKitWebView, you can't turn it off
>> again.)

> Wouldn't it just be a matter of documenting that disabling
> `xwidget-cookies-enable' only takes effect in newly created webkit
> widget (or whatever the terminology is), and that if users need to
> disable them they need to somehow restart previously started widgets?

Now that I think of it, this should probably be documented in the
current variable as well.  I'll do that in a bit.

Thanks.