* Package Eat on NonGNU ELPA diverged
@ 2022-11-28 19:49 Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-11-28 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I mistakenly wrote a commit message with a lot of mistakes, and
unfortunately I also pushed it immediately.  After some 10-20 minutes,
I noticed the thing and quickly fixed that commit message (but not the
files) and force pushed it.  But within that 10-20 minutes, ELPA
machinery fetch from my repository, and now the two repositories
diverged.

Is there any chance to do something on ELPA side, or do I have to do
something on my side?

--
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: akib@hostux.social

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Package Eat on NonGNU ELPA diverged
@ 2022-11-28 20:21 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-11-28 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: emacs-devel

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

> I mistakenly wrote a commit message with a lot of mistakes, and
> unfortunately I also pushed it immediately.  After some 10-20 minutes,
> I noticed the thing and quickly fixed that commit message (but not the
> files) and force pushed it.  But within that 10-20 minutes, ELPA
> machinery fetch from my repository, and now the two repositories
> diverged.
>
> Is there any chance to do something on ELPA side, or do I have to do
> something on my side?

IIRC You could add the ELPA mirror as a remote, then merge the diverged
branch onto your own and push that.

* Re: Package Eat on NonGNU ELPA diverged
@ 2022-11-28 20:36   ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-11-28 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> I mistakenly wrote a commit message with a lot of mistakes, and
>> unfortunately I also pushed it immediately.  After some 10-20 minutes,
>> I noticed the thing and quickly fixed that commit message (but not the
>> files) and force pushed it.  But within that 10-20 minutes, ELPA
>> machinery fetch from my repository, and now the two repositories
>> diverged.
>>
>> Is there any chance to do something on ELPA side, or do I have to do
>> something on my side?
>
> IIRC You could add the ELPA mirror as a remote, then merge the diverged
> branch onto your own and push that.

Does that mean that there is really nothing doable on a server-side?  I
wish there was something.

Anyway, I'll merge if the above is true.

--

@ 2022-11-28 21:02 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-11-28 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: emacs-devel

> files) and force pushed it.  But within that 10-20 minutes, ELPA
> machinery fetch from my repository, and now the two repositories
> diverged.
>
> Is there any chance to do something on ELPA side, or do I have to do
> something on my side?

The problem goes much faster that the `nongnu.git` repository on
`git.sv.gnu.org`, because that repository is tracked by several others.
Can it be fixed?
Yes, technically, but it's a pain in the rear to go and fix them all
by hand.  It's only justified if there's a *real* problem (like the
faulty commit contains something we *really* don't want to keep).
Here, we're talking about including a commit with a suboptimal commit
message.  Nobody will suffer from it,

* Re: Package Eat on NonGNU ELPA diverged
@ 2022-11-29  7:59   ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-11-29  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel