* rmail: how to deal with mailing list ?
@ 2005-11-27 14:37 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-11-27 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am a fresh new user of Rmail and I am trying to use it to read
my mailing lists.

My problem is I don't see how to do this in a fancy way where
mails would be arranged automatically.

Can someone help with this major issue ?

Thank you.
--
Xavier Maillard
Président de LoLiCA (http://www.lolica.org)

From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2005-11-27 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   I am a fresh new user of Rmail and I am trying to use it to read my
   mailing lists. ...

   My problem is I don't see how to do this in a fancy way where mails
   would be arranged automatically.

Set the mailing lists to deliver daily digests.

Or perhaps you would succeed with one of the rmail-summary-sort-*
commands such as rmail-summary-by-topic (C-M-t) or
rmail-summary-by-regexp (C-M-s).  (I am not confident about the
latter; it depends on the mailing list.  You may have to label mail
messages.  Then you can sort them.)

If you do not employ daily digests or label messages, Emacs Gnus may
help you more than Emacs Rmail.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8

@ 2005-11-27 16:57   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-11-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 Nov 2005, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

> I am a fresh new user of Rmail and I am trying to use it to
> read my mailing lists. ...
>
> My problem is I don't see how to do this in a fancy way where
> mails would be arranged automatically.
>
> Set the mailing lists to deliver daily digests.

There can't be another method ? Bah I will try this method.

> If you do not employ daily digests or label messages, Emacs
> Gnus may help you more than Emacs Rmail.

I already use Gnus but I want to try all emacs mail mode. Rmail
is the default one shipped with Emacs as I understand it so I
want to try it :)

Thank you for your help
--

@ 2005-11-27 17:45 ` ams
From: ams @ 2005-11-27 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   Can someone help with this major issue ?

I just read it as it comes in, and don't do anything fancy.  Might
sort my current RMAIL file according to date or subject once in a
while, but that is quite rare since you can always summarize the
messages according to something specific (Like C-M-t for generating a
summary based on the subject line, or if you are only interested in
one mailing list C-M-s might come in handy).  And if you just want to
jump to the next message with the same subject one can always use C-c
C-n (and C-c C-p for the previous message in the same subject).

* Re: rmail: how to deal with mailing list ?
@ 2005-11-27 18:17   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-11-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

<ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    Can someone help with this major issue ?
>
> I just read it as it comes in, and don't do anything fancy.  Might
> sort my current RMAIL file according to date or subject once in a
> while, but that is quite rare since you can always summarize the
> messages according to something specific (Like C-M-t for generating a
> summary based on the subject line, or if you are only interested in
> one mailing list C-M-s might come in handy).  And if you just want to
> jump to the next message with the same subject one can always use C-c
> C-n (and C-c C-p for the previous message in the same subject).

Wow ! That is really interesting. Thank you for sharing these hints.

/Me is becoming fond of rmail simplicity.

--
Xavier Maillard