* Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-16 23:14 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2017-10-16 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I had Emacs (built from current master) on a system on which the m17n
and otf libraries were not installed; after installing these libraries I
rebuilt Emacs and noticed that the example of Lao script in the HELLO
file looks different than it does without these libraries.  Here's a
screen shot from the Emacs built without these libraries:

[-- Attachment #2: Lao-m17n.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 6156 bytes --]

And here's one with from the Emacs built with these libraries:

[-- Attachment #4: Lao+m17n.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 6189 bytes --]

Is this difference expected?  I'm not familiar with the Lao script, so I
don't know if one of the displays is wrong, though this quote from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_alphabet seems to suggest that either
way is possible: "Vowels can be written above, below, in front of, or
behind consonants, with some vowel combinations written before, over and
after."  This is m17n-lib-1.7.0 and libotf-0.9.13 from
http://www.nongnu.org/m17n/, which are AFAIK the latest released
versions (there's a patch for Bengali in etc/PROBLEMS, but I don't know
of any problem report about Lao).  (Regardless if what's correct, my
aesthetic impression is that the first display, without m17n and libotf,
looks better; however, I do know that the Arabic example in HELLO is
correctly displayed only with these libraries).

Steve Berman

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-17 16:40 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-10-17 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman, Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

[Adding Handa-san, in the hope that he could comment on this.]

> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 01:14:03 +0200
>
> Is this difference expected?  I'm not familiar with the Lao script, so I
> don't know if one of the displays is wrong, though this quote from
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_alphabet seems to suggest that either
> way is possible: "Vowels can be written above, below, in front of, or
> behind consonants, with some vowel combinations written before, over and
> after."  This is m17n-lib-1.7.0 and libotf-0.9.13 from
> http://www.nongnu.org/m17n/, which are AFAIK the latest released
> versions (there's a patch for Bengali in etc/PROBLEMS, but I don't know
> of any problem report about Lao).  (Regardless if what's correct, my
> aesthetic impression is that the first display, without m17n and libotf,
> looks better; however, I do know that the Arabic example in HELLO is
> correctly displayed only with these libraries).

I see a better display here, on MS-Windows.  Can you try a different
font, perhaps one that is advertised to have good support for the Lao
script?  AFAIK, libotf/libm17n (as any other shaping engine) depend on
font capabilities to some extent.

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-20 11:48   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2017-10-20 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Kenichi Handa, emacs-devel

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 19:40:27 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> [Adding Handa-san, in the hope that he could comment on this.]
>
>> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
>> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 01:14:03 +0200
>>
>> Is this difference expected?  I'm not familiar with the Lao script, so I
>> don't know if one of the displays is wrong, though this quote from
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_alphabet seems to suggest that either
>> way is possible: "Vowels can be written above, below, in front of, or
>> behind consonants, with some vowel combinations written before, over and
>> after."  This is m17n-lib-1.7.0 and libotf-0.9.13 from
>> http://www.nongnu.org/m17n/, which are AFAIK the latest released
>> versions (there's a patch for Bengali in etc/PROBLEMS, but I don't know
>> of any problem report about Lao).  (Regardless if what's correct, my
>> aesthetic impression is that the first display, without m17n and libotf,
>> looks better; however, I do know that the Arabic example in HELLO is
>> correctly displayed only with these libraries).
>
> I see a better display here, on MS-Windows.  Can you try a different
> font, perhaps one that is advertised to have good support for the Lao
> script?  AFAIK, libotf/libm17n (as any other shaping engine) depend on
> font capabilities to some extent.

I haven't yet tried a font specialized for Lao, but I did try Symbola,
and with that the Lao HELLO example appears as it does in Emacs without
m17n-lib and libotf (with one exeption, see below) -- though the font
used to display the Lao is not Symbola but DejaVu Sans.  Then I realized
what the difference is: Symbola is a variable pitch font, while my
default font is DejaVu Sans Mono (also the default with -Q).  And
indeed, using DejaVu Sans (not Mono) as the default font displays the
Lao as in Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf (but in the latter Emacs
it's the same display also with DejaVu Sans Mono) -- with the exception
of the character LAO LETTER HO SUNG, which is composed with LAO TONE MAI
THO, but in the display, the latter appears over the following
character, while in the Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf it appears
over the character it is composed with (which I assume is correct).  The
other three character compositions in the Lao example appear the same in
Emacs both without and with m17n-lib and libotf -- but again, in the
latter only with variable pitch DejaVu Sans.  So this does seem to be a
problem in the m17n-lib and/or libotf code.

Steve Berman

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-20 13:11 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-10-20 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman, emacs-devel

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:14 PM Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
wrote:

>  (Regardless if what's correct, my
> aesthetic impression is that the first display, without m17n and libotf,
> looks better;

I believe you are correct. I don't know Lao, but knowing Hindi and
Gujarati, those Lao characters seem similar to the vowel overlays used in
Hindi, Gujarati and other Indic languages.

Example: ક + ં should be rendered combined as કં, ક + ી = કી, and so on.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gujarati_alphabet#Vowels
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-22  3:37     ` handa
From: handa @ 2017-10-22  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

In article <87po9irqej.fsf@gmx.net>, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> I haven't yet tried a font specialized for Lao, but I did try Symbola,
> and with that the Lao HELLO example appears as it does in Emacs without
> m17n-lib and libotf (with one exeption, see below) -- though the font
> used to display the Lao is not Symbola but DejaVu Sans.  Then I realized
> what the difference is: Symbola is a variable pitch font, while my
> default font is DejaVu Sans Mono (also the default with -Q).  And
> indeed, using DejaVu Sans (not Mono) as the default font displays the
> Lao as in Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf (but in the latter Emacs
> it's the same display also with DejaVu Sans Mono) -- with the exception
> of the character LAO LETTER HO SUNG, which is composed with LAO TONE MAI
> THO, but in the display, the latter appears over the following
> character, while in the Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf it appears
> over the character it is composed with (which I assume is correct).  The
> other three character compositions in the Lao example appear the same in
> Emacs both without and with m17n-lib and libotf -- but again, in the
> latter only with variable pitch DejaVu Sans.  So this does seem to be a
> problem in the m17n-lib and/or libotf code.

In my environment, Lao can be rendered correctly by Dejavu Sans Mono
(see the attached image).  Please run Emacs as this, and show me the
printed log:

% MDEBUG_DATABASE=1 MDEBUG_FLT=1 emacs

---
K. Handa
handa@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #2: temp.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 24803 bytes --]

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-22 11:13       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2017-10-22 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: handa; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:37:14 +0900 handa <handa@gnu.org> wrote:

> In article <87po9irqej.fsf@gmx.net>, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I haven't yet tried a font specialized for Lao, but I did try Symbola,
>> and with that the Lao HELLO example appears as it does in Emacs without
>> m17n-lib and libotf (with one exeption, see below) -- though the font
>> used to display the Lao is not Symbola but DejaVu Sans.  Then I realized
>> what the difference is: Symbola is a variable pitch font, while my
>> default font is DejaVu Sans Mono (also the default with -Q).  And
>> indeed, using DejaVu Sans (not Mono) as the default font displays the
>> Lao as in Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf (but in the latter Emacs
>> it's the same display also with DejaVu Sans Mono) -- with the exception
>> of the character LAO LETTER HO SUNG, which is composed with LAO TONE MAI
>> THO, but in the display, the latter appears over the following
>> character, while in the Emacs without m17n-lib and libotf it appears
>> over the character it is composed with (which I assume is correct).  The
>> other three character compositions in the Lao example appear the same in
>> Emacs both without and with m17n-lib and libotf -- but again, in the
>> latter only with variable pitch DejaVu Sans.  So this does seem to be a
>> problem in the m17n-lib and/or libotf code.
>
> In my environment, Lao can be rendered correctly by Dejavu Sans Mono
> (see the attached image).  Please run Emacs as this, and show me the
> printed log:
>
> % MDEBUG_DATABASE=1 MDEBUG_FLT=1 emacs

Attached.

In your screen shot the displays of the Kannada, Khmer and Malayalam
examples are partly different from the displays in my Emacs:

[-- Attachment #2: HELLO.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7433 bytes --]

Do these differences also indicate problems or are they just due to
different fonts (unlike the Lao example, Dejavu does not display these
languages, so I had to install other fonts (shown in the debug output)
to display them).

Steve Berman

[-- Attachment #4: mdebug_log --]

 [DB]  <font,layouter,hebr,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,mlym-rachana,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,thai-norasi,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,bng2-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,hebr-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,tml2-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,orya-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,ory2-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,mymr-myazedi,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,mlym-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,knd2-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,tel2-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,laoo-generic,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,laoo-mule,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,syrc-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,arab-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,mlym-cdac,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,taml-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,knda-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,gujr-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,deve-cdac,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,guru-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,arab,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,thai-tis620,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,thai-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,gjr2-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,tibt-mule,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,no-ctl,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,khmr-anlong,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,deva-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,telu-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,mymr-sil,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,mlm2-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,thai-generic,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,dev2-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,sinh-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,taml-cdac,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,gur2-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,tibt-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,khmr-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,laoo-alice,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,tibt-mtib,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,beng-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,combining,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,laoo-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,arab-otf-no-gpos,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,hebr-ff,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,thaa-otf,nil>.
 [DB]  <font,layouter,cham-generic,nil>.
 [DB] <font,layouter,arab-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/ARAB-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (arab-otf (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0639 0644 064A 0643 0645)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0C86 0C9B 0CAF 0C97 0C9D))
 [FLT] (arab-otf (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0627 0644 0633 0651 0644 0627 0645)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 045D 0C9A 0C6F 0482 0CB7 0476))
 [DB] <font,layouter,gujr-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/GUJR-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (gujr-otf (lohit gujarati)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0AA8)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0037))
 [FLT] (gujr-otf (lohit gujarati)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0AAE)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 003C))
 [FLT] (gujr-otf (lohit gujarati)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0AB8 0ACD 0AA4 0AC7)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00B0 0033 0050))
 [DB] <font,layouter,deva-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/DEVA-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (deva-otf (lohit nepali)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0928)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0058))
 [FLT] (deva-otf (lohit nepali)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 092E)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 005E))
 [FLT] (deva-otf (lohit nepali)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0938 094D 0924 0947)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00DF 0054 0075))
 [DB] <font,layouter,knda-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/KNDA-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (knda-otf (lohit kannada)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0CA8)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 002A))
 [FLT] (knda-otf (lohit kannada)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0CAE)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 002F))
 [FLT] (knda-otf (lohit kannada)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0CB8 0CCD 0C95 0CBE)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0095 0235))
 [FLT] (knda-otf (lohit kannada)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0CB0)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0031))
 [DB] <font,layouter,mlym-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/MLYM-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (mlym-otf (lohit malayalam)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0D28)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0034))
 [FLT] (mlym-otf (lohit malayalam)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0D2E)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0039))
 [FLT] (mlym-otf (lohit malayalam)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0D38 0D4D 0D15 0D3E)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00E3 0045))
 [FLT] (mlym-otf (lohit malayalam)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0D30 0D02)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 003B 0011))
 [DB] <font,layouter,orya-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/ORYA-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (orya-otf (lohit oriya)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0B36 0B41)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0037 0040))
 [FLT] (orya-otf (lohit oriya)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0B23 0B3F)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0027 003E))
 [FLT] (orya-otf (lohit oriya)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0B2C 0B47)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0044 002F))
 [DB] <font,layouter,sinh-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/SINH-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (sinh-otf (lklug)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0D86)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0007))
 [FLT] (sinh-otf (lklug)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0DBA 0DD4)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00D3))
 [FLT] (sinh-otf (lklug)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0DB6 0DDD)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 004A 0033 0042 0041))
 [FLT] (sinh-otf (lklug)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0DC0)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 003A))
 [FLT] (sinh-otf (lklug)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0DB1 0DCA)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0125))
 [DB] <font,layouter,taml-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/TAML-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (taml-otf (lohit tamil)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0BB5)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0053))
 [FLT] (taml-otf (lohit tamil)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0BA3)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0047))
 [FLT] (taml-otf (lohit tamil)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0B95 0BCD 0B95)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00DC 0041))
 [FLT] (taml-otf (lohit tamil)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0BAE 0BCD)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00E7))
 [DB] <font,layouter,telu-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/TELU-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (telu-otf (lohit telugu)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0C28)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 002D))
 [FLT] (telu-otf (lohit telugu)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0C2E)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0032))
 [FLT] (telu-otf (lohit telugu)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0C38 0C4D 0C15 0C3E)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0097 01C2))
 [FLT] (telu-otf (lohit telugu)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0C30 0C02)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0034 000A))
 [DB] <font,layouter,tibt-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/TIBT-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F56)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0A24))
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F40 0FB2)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 028C))
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F64 0F72)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0DD7 0FA1))
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F66)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0EA1))
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F51 0F7A)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0812 1014))
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F63 0F7A)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0D7C 1014))
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F42)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0403))
 [DB] <font,layouter,khmr-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/KHMR-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (khmr-otf (khmer busra)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 1787 17C6 179A 17B6 1794 179F 17BD 179A)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 01CD 027B 020D 01F8 021C 0266 020B))
 [DB] <font,layouter,laoo-generic,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/LAOO-GENERIC.flt
 [FLT] (laoo-generic (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E94 0EB5)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 04BA 04D4))
 [DB] <font,layouter,mymr-sil,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/MYMR-SIL.flt
 [FLT] (mymr-sil (padauk)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 1019)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00AC))
 [FLT] (mymr-sil (padauk)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 1004 103A 1039 1002)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 006D 00E7 00E6 0069))
 [FLT] (mymr-sil (padauk)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 101C 102C)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00B8 00D1))
 [FLT] (mymr-sil (padauk)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 1015 102B)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00A4 00CF))
 [DB] <font,layouter,thai-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/THAI-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (thai-otf (tlwg typewriter)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E27 0E31)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00F0 00FA))
 [FLT] (thai-otf (tlwg typewriter)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E14 0E35)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00DD 00FE))
 [FLT] (thai-otf (tlwg typewriter)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E23 0E31)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00EC 00FA))
 [FLT] (arab-otf (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0627 0644 0639 0631 0628 064A 0651 0629)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 045D 0C9A 0C87 0C69 0C4C 0CAF 0482 0C4F))
 [DB] <font,layouter,beng-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/BENG-OTF.flt
 [FLT] (beng-otf (lohit assamese)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 09AC 09BE 0982)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0058 0064 0034))
 [FLT] (beng-otf (lohit assamese)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 09B2 09BE)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 005D 0064))
 [FLT] (beng-otf (lohit assamese)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 09A8)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0055))
 [FLT] (beng-otf (lohit assamese)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 09AE)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 005A))
 [FLT] (beng-otf (lohit assamese)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 09B8 09CD 0995 09BE)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0189 0064))
 [FLT] (beng-otf (lohit assamese)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 09B0)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 005C))
 [FLT] (mymr-sil (padauk)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 1019 103C)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00AC 00ED))
 [FLT] (mymr-sil (padauk)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 1014 103A)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 009F 00E7))
 [FLT] (mymr-sil (padauk)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 1019 102C)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00AC 00D1))
 [FLT] (gujr-otf (lohit gujarati)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0A97 0AC1)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0026 004B))
 [FLT] (gujr-otf (lohit gujarati)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0A9C)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 002B))
 [FLT] (gujr-otf (lohit gujarati)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0AB0 0ABE)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 003E 0048))
 [FLT] (gujr-otf (lohit gujarati)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0AA4 0AC0)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0033 004A))
 [FLT] (deva-otf (lohit nepali)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0939 093F 0902)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 006D 0069 0032))
 [FLT] (deva-otf (lohit nepali)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0926 0940)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0056 006E))
 [FLT] (deva-otf (lohit nepali)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0938 094D 0915 093E)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00DF 0045 006C))
 [FLT] (deva-otf (lohit nepali)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0930)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0060))
 [FLT] (deva-otf (lohit nepali)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0964)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 008D))
 [FLT] (knda-otf (lohit kannada)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0C95)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0017))
 [FLT] (knda-otf (lohit kannada)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0CA8 0CCD 0CA8)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 002A 0248))
 [FLT] (knda-otf (lohit kannada)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0CA1)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0023))
 [FLT] (khmr-otf (khmer busra)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 1797 17B6 179F 17B6 1781 17D2 1798 17C2
 [FLT]           179A)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0203 021D 0273 01BA 0314 020B))
 [FLT] (laoo-generic (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E82 0ECD)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 04B4 04E0))
 [FLT] (laoo-generic (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0EAB 0EC9)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 04CB 04DC))
 [FLT] (mlym-otf (lohit malayalam)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0D32)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 003D))
 [FLT] (mlym-otf (lohit malayalam)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0D2F 0D3E)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 003A 0045))
 [FLT] (mlym-otf (lohit malayalam)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0D33 0D02)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 003E 0011))
 [FLT] (orya-otf (lohit oriya)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0B13)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0017))
 [FLT] (orya-otf (lohit oriya)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0B5C 0B3F)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 004B 003E))
 [FLT] (orya-otf (lohit oriya)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0B06)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 000E))
 [DB] <font,layouter,combining,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/COMBINING.flt
 [DB] <char-table,integer,combining-class,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/COMBINE.tab
 [FLT] (combining (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0430 0301)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 036F 0289))
 [FLT] (sinh-otf (lklug)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0DC3 0DD2 0D82)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00A5 0004))
 [FLT] (sinh-otf (lklug)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0DC4)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 003E))
 [FLT] (sinh-otf (lklug)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0DBD)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0039))
 [FLT] (taml-otf (lohit tamil)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0BA4)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0048))
 [FLT] (taml-otf (lohit tamil)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0BAE 0BBF)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0091))
 [FLT] (taml-otf (lohit tamil)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0BB4 0BCD)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00ED))
 [FLT] (telu-otf (lohit telugu)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0C24 0C46)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00F1))
 [FLT] (telu-otf (lohit telugu)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0C32 0C41)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0036 0040))
 [FLT] (telu-otf (lohit telugu)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0C17 0C41)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 001C 0040))
 [FLT] (thai-otf (tlwg typewriter)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E04 0E48)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00CD 013F))
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F56 0F7C)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0A24 1031))
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F51)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0812))
 [FLT] (tibt-otf (tibetan machine uni)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0F66 0F90)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 0E2E))

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-24  9:14         ` handa
From: handa @ 2017-10-24  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

In article <877evnqvu4.fsf@gmx.net>, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> In your screen shot the displays of the Kannada, Khmer and Malayalam
> examples are partly different from the displays in my Emacs:

That is because I didn't install proper fonts for those scripts.

Anyway, the log has these suspicious lines:
 [DB] <font,layouter,laoo-generic,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/LAOO-GENERIC.flt
 [FLT] (laoo-generic (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E94 0EB5)
 [FLT]   (RESULT 04BA 04D4))

In my case, the first line is:
 [DB] <font,layouter,laoo-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/LAOO-OTF.flt

I have not yet figured out why LAOO-OTF.flt is not selected for you, but
could you please try this:

1. Move LAOO-*.flt (except for LAOO-OTF.flt) from /usr/share/m17n to,
   for instance /tmp.
2. Prepare a file that contains the Lao line only.
3. Run emacs as this:
   % MDEBUG_DATABASE=1 MDEBUG_FLT=3 emacs
4. Visit the Lao only file.

---
K. Handa
handa@gnu.org

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-24 10:01           ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2017-10-24 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: handa; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 18:14:01 +0900 handa <handa@gnu.org> wrote:

> In article <877evnqvu4.fsf@gmx.net>, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> In your screen shot the displays of the Kannada, Khmer and Malayalam
>> examples are partly different from the displays in my Emacs:
>
> That is because I didn't install proper fonts for those scripts.
>
> Anyway, the log has these suspicious lines:
>  [DB] <font,layouter,laoo-generic,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/LAOO-GENERIC.flt
>  [FLT] (laoo-generic (dejavu sans mono)
>  [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E94 0EB5)
>  [FLT]   (RESULT 04BA 04D4))
>
> In my case, the first line is:
>  [DB] <font,layouter,laoo-otf,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/LAOO-OTF.flt
>
> I have not yet figured out why LAOO-OTF.flt is not selected for you, but
> could you please try this:
>
> 1. Move LAOO-*.flt (except for LAOO-OTF.flt) from /usr/share/m17n to,
>    for instance /tmp.
> 2. Prepare a file that contains the Lao line only.
> 3. Run emacs as this:
>    % MDEBUG_DATABASE=1 MDEBUG_FLT=3 emacs
> 4. Visit the Lao only file.

I did this and the display of the Lao script is the same as before
(i.e., with the composed characters not properly aligned).  Here is the
entire debugging output:

[...]

FWIW, when I change the font to DejaVu Sans (not Mono) and visit that
file, the display of all but one of the composed characters is correct
(as I previously mentioned), and the debugging output is exactly the
same as the above; and with the other LAOO-*.flt files under
/usr/share/m17n, on visiting that file when using variable pitch DejaVu
Sans (but not when using DejaVu Sans Mono), the debugging output
additionally contains these lines after the above output:

 [DB] <font,layouter,laoo-generic,nil> from /usr/share/m17n/LAOO-GENERIC.flt
 [FLT] (laoo-generic (dejavu sans)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E94 0EB5)
 [FLT]   (STAGE 0 "CV" (0E94 0EB5)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^(Cs?[vV]?)(T)?" "CV" 2
 [FLT]        <0
 [FLT]        (SUBPART 1
 [FLT]         (COPY 0xE94)
 [FLT]         (COPY 0xEB5)) 2>))
 [FLT]      (COND)))
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00-01 (062A 640 0 0) (0644 0 0 0)))
 [FLT] (laoo-generic (dejavu sans)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E82 0ECD)
 [FLT]   (STAGE 0 "CV" (0E82 0ECD)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^(Cs?[vV]?)(T)?" "CV" 2
 [FLT]        <0
 [FLT]        (SUBPART 1
 [FLT]         (COPY 0xE82)
 [FLT]         (COPY 0xECD)) 2>))
 [FLT]      (COND)))
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00-01 (0624 640 0 0) (0657 0 0 0)))
 [FLT] (laoo-generic (dejavu sans)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0EAB 0EC9)
 [FLT]   (STAGE 0 "CT" (0EAB 0EC9)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^(Cs?[vV]?)(T)?" "CT" 2
 [FLT]        <0
 [FLT]        (SUBPART 1
 [FLT]         (COPY 0xEAB))
 [FLT]        (SUBPART 2
 [FLT]         (CMB tr+5bl)
 [FLT]         (COPY 0xEC9)) 2>))
 [FLT]      (COND)))
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00-01 (063B 768 0 0) (0653 0 576 -48)))

Steve Berman

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-24 12:04             ` handa
From: handa @ 2017-10-24 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

In article <87k1zk6f01.fsf@gmx.net>, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> > 1. Move LAOO-*.flt (except for LAOO-OTF.flt) from /usr/share/m17n to,
> >    for instance /tmp.
> > 2. Prepare a file that contains the Lao line only.
> > 3. Run emacs as this:
> >    % MDEBUG_DATABASE=1 MDEBUG_FLT=3 emacs
> > 4. Visit the Lao only file.

> I did this and the display of the Lao script is the same as before
> (i.e., with the composed characters not properly aligned).  Here is the
> entire debugging output:
[...]
>  [DB]  <font,layouter,hebr-ff,nil>.
>  [DB]  <font,layouter,thaa-otf,nil>.
>  [DB]  <font,layouter,cham-generic,nil>.

> FWIW, when I change the font to DejaVu Sans (not Mono) and visit that
> file, the display of all but one of the composed characters is correct
> (as I previously mentioned), and the debugging output is exactly the
> same as the above;

Could you please put the attached version of LAOO-OTF.flt under
/usr/share/m17n (without any other LAOO-*.flt), and try again?

---
K. Handa
handa@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #2: LAOO-OTF.flt --]

;; LAOO-OTF.flt -- Font Layout Table for Lao
;; Copyright (C) 2006, 2007  AIST (H15PRO112)
;; See the end for copying conditions.

(font layouter laoo-otf nil
      (font (nil nil unicode-bmp)))

;;; <li> LAOO-OTF.flt

(category
 ;; C: CONSONANT
 ;; S: LAO SEMIVOWEL SIGN LO
 ;; A: VOWEL AM
 ;; V: DEPENDENT VOWEL
 ;; T: TONE
 ;; I: OTHER INDEPENDENT
 (0x0E81 0x0EAE	?C)
 (0x0EAF 0x0EB0	?I)
 (0x0EB1	?V)
 (0x0EB2	?I)
 (0x0EB3	?A)
 (0x0EB4 0x0EBB	?V)
 (0x0EBC	?S)
 (0x0EBD 0x0EC6	?I)
 (0x0EC8 0x0ECC	?T)
 (0x0ECD	?V)
 (0x0ED0 0x0ED9 ?I)
 (0x0EDC 0x0EDD ?C)

 (0x25CC	?I))

;; The only GSUB is the decomposition of AM.  We do it by hand because
;; it requires reordering in addition to decomposition.

(generator
 (0
  (cond
   ("(CS?)(T)?A"
    < | (1 = *) 0x0ECD (2 =) 0x0EB2 | > )
   ("CS?V?T?"
    < | = * | > )
   ("[SVT]"
    < | 0x25CC = | > )
   ("."
    =))
  *))

;; Then apply all GPOS features.

(generator
 (0
  (cond
   (" ([^ ]*) "
    (1 otf:lao\ =))
   ("."
    [ otf:lao\ =+ ]))
  *))

;; Copyright (C) 2006, 2007
;;   National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
;;   Registration Number H15PRO112

;; This file is part of the m17n database; a sub-part of the m17n
;; library.

;; The m17n library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
;; modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License
;; as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of
;; the License, or (at your option) any later version.

;; The m17n library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
;; Lesser General Public License for more details.

;; You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
;; License along with the m17n library; if not, write to the Free
;; Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor,
;; Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

;; Local Variables:
;; mode: emacs-lisp
;; End:

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-24 12:29               ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2017-10-24 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: handa; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 21:04:21 +0900 handa <handa@gnu.org> wrote:

> In article <87k1zk6f01.fsf@gmx.net>, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> > 1. Move LAOO-*.flt (except for LAOO-OTF.flt) from /usr/share/m17n to,
>> >    for instance /tmp.
>> > 2. Prepare a file that contains the Lao line only.
>> > 3. Run emacs as this:
>> >    % MDEBUG_DATABASE=1 MDEBUG_FLT=3 emacs
>> > 4. Visit the Lao only file.
>
>> I did this and the display of the Lao script is the same as before
>> (i.e., with the composed characters not properly aligned).  Here is the
>> entire debugging output:
> [...]
>>  [DB]  <font,layouter,hebr-ff,nil>.
>>  [DB]  <font,layouter,thaa-otf,nil>.
>>  [DB]  <font,layouter,cham-generic,nil>.
>
>> FWIW, when I change the font to DejaVu Sans (not Mono) and visit that
>> file, the display of all but one of the composed characters is correct
>> (as I previously mentioned), and the debugging output is exactly the
>> same as the above;
>
> Could you please put the attached version of LAOO-OTF.flt under
> /usr/share/m17n (without any other LAOO-*.flt), and try again?

With this version the Lao composed characters display correctly; FYI the
debugging output is appended below.  (With this version the variable
pitch DejaVu Sans also correctly displays the character compositions,
including the one that was previously incorrectly displayed with this
font.)  However, when I move the LAOO-{ALICE,GENERIC,MULE}.flt files
back to /usr/share/m17n, leaving the new LAOO-OTF.flt there, the display
is again incorrect and the debugging output shows laoo-generic being
used.

Steve Berman

[...]
 [FLT] (laoo-otf (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E94 0EB5)
 [FLT]   (STAGE 0 "CV" (0E94 0EB5)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^CS?V?T?" "CV" 2
 [FLT]        <0
 [FLT]        |
 [FLT]        (COPY 0xE94)
 [FLT]        (COPY 0xEB5)
 [FLT]        | 2>))
 [FLT]      (COND)))
 [FLT]   (STAGE 1 " CV " (| 0E94 0EB5 |)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^ ([^ ]*) " " CV " 4
 [FLT]        (SUBPART 1
 [FLT]         :otf=lao =)))
 [FLT]      (COND)))
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00-01 (04BA 576 0 0) (04D4 0 -576 -20)))
 [FLT] (laoo-otf (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0E82 0ECD)
 [FLT]   (STAGE 0 "CV" (0E82 0ECD)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^CS?V?T?" "CV" 2
 [FLT]        <0
 [FLT]        |
 [FLT]        (COPY 0xE82)
 [FLT]        (COPY 0xECD)
 [FLT]        | 2>))
 [FLT]      (COND)))
 [FLT]   (STAGE 1 " CV " (| 0E82 0ECD |)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^ ([^ ]*) " " CV " 4
 [FLT]        (SUBPART 1
 [FLT]         :otf=lao =)))
 [FLT]      (COND)))
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00-01 (04B4 576 0 0) (04E0 0 -576 -30)))
 [FLT] (laoo-otf (dejavu sans mono)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 0EAB 0EC9)
 [FLT]   (STAGE 0 "CT" (0EAB 0EC9)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^CS?V?T?" "CT" 2
 [FLT]        <0
 [FLT]        |
 [FLT]        (COPY 0xEAB)
 [FLT]        (COPY 0xEC9)
 [FLT]        | 2>))
 [FLT]      (COND)))
 [FLT]   (STAGE 1 " CT " (| 0EAB 0EC9 |)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^ ([^ ]*) " " CT " 4
 [FLT]        (SUBPART 1
 [FLT]         :otf=lao =)))
 [FLT]      (COND)))
 [FLT]   (RESULT 00-01 (04CB 576 0 0) (04DC 0 -576 -16)))

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-10-24 22:48                 ` handa
From: handa @ 2017-10-24 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

In article <87fua8685t.fsf@gmx.net>, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
> > Could you please put the attached version of LAOO-OTF.flt under
> > /usr/share/m17n (without any other LAOO-*.flt), and try again?

> With this version the Lao composed characters display correctly; FYI the
> debugging output is appended below.  (With this version the variable
> pitch DejaVu Sans also correctly displays the character compositions,
> including the one that was previously incorrectly displayed with this
> font.)

Thank you for checking.  So, the layout engine itself is working well,
and the problem is...

> However, when I move the LAOO-{ALICE,GENERIC,MULE}.flt files
> back to /usr/share/m17n, leaving the new LAOO-OTF.flt there, the display
> is again incorrect and the debugging output shows laoo-generic being
> used.

LAOO-OTF.flt is not preferred over the other Lao layouting tables.  I'll
check the source code of m17n-lib.

---
K. Handa
handa@gnu.org

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-11-05  5:26                   ` handa
From: handa @ 2017-11-05  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: handa; +Cc: eliz, stephen.berman, emacs-devel

In article <87y3o0b1rx.fsf@gnu.org>, handa <handa@gnu.org> writes:

> Thank you for checking.  So, the layout engine itself is working well,
> and the problem is...
[...]
> LAOO-OTF.flt is not preferred over the other Lao layouting tables.  I'll
> check the source code of m17n-lib.

Could you please try the attached LAOO-OTF.flt with all other LAOO-*
staying on the same directory (e.g. /usr/share/m17n)?

---
K. Handa
handa@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #2: LAOO-OTF.flt --]

;; LAOO-OTF.flt -- Font Layout Table for Lao
;; Copyright (C) 2006, 2007  AIST (H15PRO112)
;; See the end for copying conditions.

(font layouter laoo-otf nil
      (font (nil nil unicode-bmp :otf=lao\ )))

;;; <li> LAOO-OTF.flt

(category
 ;; C: CONSONANT
 ;; S: LAO SEMIVOWEL SIGN LO
 ;; A: VOWEL AM

@ 2017-11-05 12:28                     ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2017-11-05 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: handa; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 14:26:52 +0900 handa <handa@gnu.org> wrote:

> In article <87y3o0b1rx.fsf@gnu.org>, handa <handa@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Thank you for checking.  So, the layout engine itself is working well,
>> and the problem is...
> [...]
>> LAOO-OTF.flt is not preferred over the other Lao layouting tables.  I'll
>> check the source code of m17n-lib.
>
> Could you please try the attached LAOO-OTF.flt with all other LAOO-*
> staying on the same directory (e.g. /usr/share/m17n)?

With this file plus the others, all the composed characters in the Lao
example are now displayed correctly.  Thanks for fixing the problem.

Steve Berman

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-11-06 15:26                       ` handa
From: handa @ 2017-11-06 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

In article <874lq8di4w.fsf@gmx.net>, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
> > Could you please try the attached LAOO-OTF.flt with all other LAOO-*
> > staying on the same directory (e.g. /usr/share/m17n)?

> With this file plus the others, all the composed characters in the Lao
> example are now displayed correctly.  Thanks for fixing the problem.

Thank you for confirming that.  I am going to commit the attached
change to etc/PROBLEMS.  Is the branch "emacs-26" ok?

---
K. Handa
handa@gnu.org

diff --git a/etc/PROBLEMS b/etc/PROBLEMS
index e5611b0..1ee54e6 100644
--- a/etc/PROBLEMS
+++ b/etc/PROBLEMS
@@ -830,6 +830,36 @@ index 45cc554..0cc5e76 100644
 If you can't modify that file directly, copy it to the directory
 ~/.m17n.d/ (create it if it doesn't exist), and apply the patch.

+** Emacs running on GNU/Linux system with the m17n library Ver.1.7.1 or the
+earlier version has a problem with rendering Lao script with OpenType font.
+
+The problem can be fixed by installing the newer version of the m17n
+library (if any), or by following this procedure:
+
+1. Locate the file LAOO-OTF.flt installed on your system as part of the
+m17n library.  Usually it is under the directory /usr/share/m17n.
+
+2. Apply the following patch to LAOO-OTF.flt
+
+------------------------------------------------------------
+diff --git a/FLT/LAOO-OTF.flt b/FLT/LAOO-OTF.flt
+index 5504171..431adf8 100644
+--- a/FLT/LAOO-OTF.flt
++++ b/FLT/LAOO-OTF.flt
+@@ -3,7 +3,7 @@
+ ;; See the end for copying conditions.
+
+ (font layouter laoo-otf nil
+-      (font (nil phetsarath\ ot unicode-bmp)))
++      (font (nil nil unicode-bmp :otf=lao\ )))
+
+ ;;; <li> LAOO-OTF.flt
+
+------------------------------------------------------------
+
+If you can't modify that file directly, copy it to the directory
+~/.m17n.d/ (create it if it doesn't exist), and apply the patch.
+
 * Internationalization problems

 ** M-{ does not work on a Spanish PC keyboard.

* Re: Display of Lao script
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-11-06 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: handa; +Cc: stephen.berman, emacs-devel

> From: handa <handa@gnu.org>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 00:26:52 +0900
>
> Thank you for confirming that.  I am going to commit the attached
> change to etc/PROBLEMS.  Is the branch "emacs-26" ok?

Yes, emacs-26 is fine for this, thank you.

* Re: Display of Lao script
@ 2017-11-07 11:56                           ` handa
From: handa @ 2017-11-07 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: stephen.berman, emacs-devel

In article <83vains7yf.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> > From: handa <handa@gnu.org>
[...]
> > Thank you for confirming that.  I am going to commit the attached
> > change to etc/PROBLEMS.  Is the branch "emacs-26" ok?

> Yes, emacs-26 is fine for this, thank you.

Ok, just done.

---
K. Handa
handa@gnu.org